Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What to add to my 54 chevy pick-up...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Austin296, May 27, 2011.

1. Austin296

Austin296

I just bought a 1954 Chevy C3100 pickup that is so far from original that iot is just going to be a fun little toy. this truck has so many little add-ons and im looking for suggestions for a few more. It has power windows, hydraulic power brakes, A/C, power steering, a bed lift, tool boxes, and air compressor and tank, power mirrors, CB radio, Marine band radio, insulated icebox/center console it has all the suspension parts from an 89 chevy 1 ton 4wheel drive. It even has a pre-oiler so that most of the wear caused on start up is eliminated. in the late 80's, this car had an electronic carburator and there is a 3in square panel that controlled the fuel mixture that i am going to take off and i cant think of anything to put in its place. I would appreciate any suggestions for that spot or anything else that would be interesting to put on the truck. I am in the process of building an engine for it. below i have attached some pictures of the truck.

Attached Files:

2. cide1

cide1

I would start with a hood.

3. Austin296

Austin296

Yeah that is a good place to start but I already have a hood. It will go back on once the engine goes in.

4. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

More tail lights and shift levers?

5. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

GPS scanner

6. moose antlers?

7. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

8. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

The only thing it seems to be missing is Truck Nutz.

Worked for this guy:

[​IMG]

Oh, also a sticker of Calvin peeing on something. I feel a Ford logo would be most clever.

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  9. retromotors

retromotors

dingle balls ...???

10. 53Hattie

53Hattie

... the kitchen sink

11. sololobo

sololobo

I see some large rear mudflaps, truck stop logo optional on these. That is some stuff on there. It is truly a one off. Enjoy! ~sololobo~

12. nha

nha

I'd start with a sawzall. But that's just me.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I saw that truck on a Foxworthy video once. I love these trucks as much as anyone but that one could use a bit of removing things before you think of adding anything outside of additional things to keep it on the same theme.

14. brad chevy

brad chevy

That is a regular McGuyver truck. Where is the spot you are wanting to cover? Only thing in the picture looks like a big hole in the dash.

15. belair

belair

How about some taste. For a real change.

16. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

All kidding aside, get rid of all that aluminum bed crap and that roll bar.
    Find some better wheels, something like artillary or such.
    Nice truck to work with there.

17. Turnipseed

Turnipseed

Fuzzy dice from the rear view mirror, stick-on Buick portholes, curb feelers, necker knob for steering wheel, dancing hula doll on the dash. I agree with Mr48Chevy that some things could be removed instead of adding more......but that is just me (less is often more).

18. chaddilac

chaddilac

some of those plastic buick ports and trucker girls all over it!

19. Brahma bull stickers on the doors

20. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Stick with that '64 GTO in your avatar and lose this awful truck........it does not even remotely belong on this board......is that a 4 x 4 frame under it?

CB

21. At first I thought you were just being cruel, then I really looked at the pictures.

The concept of Less is More could really be applied here.

22. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

In my opinion, you should worry less about what to add, and more about what you should remove. Roll bar would be a good place to start, with the cow catcher and plastic fender flares right behind.

23. Easy Rider Rifle Rack...

24. Austin296

Austin296

this truck belonged my my god father who restored it back in the 80's when he was in his 20s. it has sentimental value to me and i never intend to sell it. I dont know why he did some stuff and personally i wouldnt have done some of them, but it is done. i may remove some later, i may not.

@blue49: haha yeah, i dont really know what posessed him to put so many tail lights in that bumper, i will probably change that after i get the truck up and running. If there were any more shift levers in that truck i wouldnt even be able to have a passenger in there with me...

@GaryB: a GPS would be nice but i have found that the more you use one, the more reliant you become of it. Even though i am 20, i would rather use good old paper maps that make me think than a gps that thinks for me.

A train horn would be fun but i would get in way too much trouble with one of those...

sorry guys, no balls are gonna be hanging on the back of this truck.

@Brad Chevy: thank you, i like to think so. in the center of the dash, there is a panel cut out where the radio is located along with 2 holly electronic carburetor accessories, one, works off a fuel flow sensor and drive shaft sensor to tell me various things about mpg, distance traveled,... the other, allows for the adjustment of the jets on that carb. the second is useless and will be removed, but there will be a hole in the dash then. That whole cutout will be covered. he still has the original piece that went there. I am going to hinge it to the dash so that it will look more original.

@1950ChevySuburban: i intend to change the wheels, i just have to measure the offset of the front two rims(the front axle is slightly wider than the read for the offroading) I think it looks better with those 16.5 rims on it than with the front wheels sticking out. The Aluminum bed does not look the best, but for the time being, it will stay. i will put a tailgate on it though, that braided cloth that was its tailgate looked stupid.

25. Austin296

Austin296

I do think the roll bar and fender flares will be some of the first to be taken off. the cattle guard was put on that truck when it was new in 50's. i think it will stay.

sorry, no rifle racks right now

26. nice truck, great daily driver. i've built a couple like that, off topic here, but the front fenders need to be widened. cut between the headlight and grill and across the top. 3" each side and nobody will know. now get that thing off this traditional sight! :D

27. Wrong message board for a vehicle like that.
    No offense.

28. sun down

sun down
    from tx

twin stacks
    cab running lights

Last edited: May 28, 2011