Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. easter

easter

Brian26 - Thanks for that film. PK - your flagman buddy is in here a couple times - he looks quick (and nervous). Ted - There's your dad's blue push truck again - famous. I know I'm getting old, because when I look at the sprints in this film I think: Damn modern cars! Roll cages, full face helmets, air boxes over the stacks, etc. I used to stand right down there inside the fence in turn #1. There was nothing better than watching the eyes of the drivers as they slid by and hear them working the throttle. Opp and Richert were always up high - and Jerry Richert was the smoothest - in a league of his own - he was sort of the Nolan Ryan of racing. Well, I'm rambling - thanks again Brian26.

2. Bellmire17

Bellmire17

Great Vid REAL dirt track racing

3. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Don Thomas with a cage on his CRA sprinter in 1966. He drove my sprint roadster with a cage and a WING at times, oh no

4. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Here is the photo

Attached Files:

5. URY914

URY914

Chances are that I was in the grandstand that day. I was 15 yers old and my Dad and I would always go to the races. Thank you.

6. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

7. Buildy

Buildy

Man,that is one beautiful model,of one of my all time favorite cars to boot! Scratch built,I`ve seen Derr`s work before,but never on an open wheeler.

I never understood why GMP didn`t do this car in 1/18 scale or even better in 1/12 like they did the dirt cars.

8. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

They chose to do the Konstant Hot ride instead. I suppose an email to Tom Long may get a response as to why. I wouldn't have minded the Greg Weld Dunseth car either.

9. Ted Kempgens

Ted Kempgens
    from Florida

Easter, Thanks for the heads up on the video. Sure brings back memories. ted

10. 1957-58 Indy 500

11. I just love those roadsters..........

12. easter

easter

Indy weekend. We'd spend the week prior cleaning the race car getting ready for a supermodified weekend, too. Everything had to be spotless - everything painted - tape little American flags all around the car - put a larger flag on the truck and trailer. Chipped ham sandwiches, Pepsi and Blatz in the cooler. If it wasn't rained out, Dad would race somewhere along the Ohio River on Friday and Saturday night - maybe Athens, Parkersburg, or Marietta. Paul and Tommy Dickson, Mac Clingan, Wayne McGuire, Frank Burriss, Sam Erwin, Paul Barnes, J. D. Leas, Paul Reed, Bill Dotson, Gus Linder, Etc. But, Sunday was really a special day. Dad would be up real early, unload everything, wash everything, get an R. G. Dunn lit and open a Blatz. He wasn't real approachable on Indy day. It was the early '60s and the only way at our house to experience Indy was the AM radio in the pick up. Dad would sometimes get sick - just as though he was climbing in a Trevis before hitting the banks at Winchester. This was a sacred day. Years later, when we didn't speak that much, we'd still call each other on Indy day. I've never been to Indy, but Dad went several times. He said outside of the pits, it was mainly drunks and chicken bones. I watch Indy every year, but some of the magic is gone for me. Hearing the call to start on a bad radio signal seemed much more mysterious. Later that day when Dad turned off the radio and lit the grill, a celebration had begun. It was New Years - time for bench racing, what could have beens, hoping and planning for the balance of the season and dreams of next year. I hope everyone has a great Indy weekend. Bob Easter

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  13. URY914

URY914

Ted, I remember watching your Dad push start the cars in his El camino on raceday. I always thought that was cool. You were probably there too.

Paul

14. unassembled

unassembled
    from San Diego

Great memories Bob... things were pretty much the same for me! We had a radio in the house and a transistor radio in the garage, the only difference is that the beer was Pabst. Good times for our kids our age!

15. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Just wondering if anybody has a good Chevy II block lying around. I have 2 cracked ones now. Really want to get this midget done this summer.
    Thanks,
    Neil

16. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

Hey Easter; Thanks for the memorys. New isn't always better.

17. mislich19

mislich19
    from lakewood

That's not Tom Mislich's car. The sissy bars had two bends to it. Is the throttle pedal a horseshoe shape? Interesting car. It looks to older than 1974, but has modifications newer than 1974. The steering arms, pitman arm look older than 1974, however the fron and rear bumpers are much newer. The front bumpers were usually 2 round tubes. (The rear bumbers were always form itted to the tail tank.) There's no second mount for the front bumper.

18. mislich19

mislich19
    from lakewood

Do you know who has the car in southern IL. My brother Tom, Jr. would like to buy it. I heard our Dad's original midget was still racing at Rockford speedway. We would like to get a hold of that car. Any help would be appreciated. Bryan

19. gearguy

gearguy

Mislich19:
    I think Joe Alberts has one of your father's space frame 4 bar cars. He hasn't raced with us in a couple of years. BZ Neil may want to look him up too as he has quite a stash of Chevy II stuff.
    Our club, the Illini Racing Series, does have the last actively campaigned Sesco 2x4. My Mongrel-VW [1977 vintage, builder unknown] may run a few shows later this year but the vast majority of our cars are now less than 15 years old. Time marches on and the old stuff, while visually more attractive IMHO, is to fragile for all out racing.

Chuck Schultz
    Winfield, Illinois

PS: The gang at Turner Auto Body & Restoration in Kenosha might have a few stories about your Dad to share.

20. mislich19

mislich19
    from lakewood

I would love to hear them. My Dad's house was burnt down about 15 years ago and all of his pictures and trophies were destroyed. If you see any pictures or know of anyone that has them please let me know.

21. Ansted family

Ansted family
    from tucson

Thompson Industries was a sub-division of the Sheraton ( as in hotels, etc.) Corporation. And Bill's company The Ansted Corporation was bought by Thompson Industries (Sheraton).

22. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Hello, Indy it isn’t over, till its over!!!!!:eek:

Attached Files:

23. Ya got that right about Indy....felt for the kid. Drove a good race...but ya got to put the cherry on the sundie.....
    HG :cool:

24. joemarsicano

joemarsicano
    from Palmyra PA

STOLEN #65 Silver Crown Car W/Truck & Trailer

Truck, Trailer, w/Car were in Brownsburg IN, last seen at 8pm on May 29th.

#65 - '97 J&J Chassis (Red), Bert Transmission, Franklund Rearend, "Breakman" Breaks, Weld 610 Front Wheels, Sander Rear Wheels, Black Body Panels, Gold Leaf Numbering, 360 Silver Crown Motor, No Stickers on Valve Covers

40ft Black Gooseneck, Tailgate Says, "Silvercrown Racing Team 65", Has PA plates, 3 axel, drivers side front axel has spare tire.

2003 Black F350, 4 Door, Long Bed, with Indiana Paper Plates

Call JoJo at 707 758-8145 or email Jackie @ [email protected] for pictures.

25. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

I guess somebody needed drug money or a way to join a gang. They should be hung like a horse thief was back in the day.

26. Rusty coe

Rusty coe

I am almost sure it was Vern Trester that drove "The City Of Roses Spcl"

27. [​IMG]