Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bad Banana Resurrection - 55 Chevy Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad Banana, Aug 10, 2010.

1. dudley32

dudley32

Good to see you back....

2. Rich1028

Rich1028

yes good to see your back posting,nice meeting you guys yesterday.
    car was cool!!

3. Dave Gray

Dave Gray

Was this car always in the Northeast.
    Even though I grew up in Butler also, I remember a yellow 55 Chevy gasser named Bad Bannana that used to run in Ft. Myers Fla. in the mid 60s. Could this be the same car?

Dave Gray
    Carlisle, Pa.

4. Igosplut

Igosplut

When's your father going to get to see it run? Those are the pictures I"d like to see....

5. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

No... this car never went to FL.

6. melsfine39

melsfine39

Hi I was at Milan yesterday and saw you run! BITCH'IN!! checked out the car in the pits and it looked super!!! I had only read part of this post before yesterday,went back today and read all of it. GREAT story ,photos and history!!. THANKS! This story and ones like it is why I look at this site not because someone says its friendly enough or NOT to be here! PLease keep with updates. And THANKS again! Mel

7. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

The car had been drifting to the right on the previous runs so I purposely aimed it to the left in this run. As it turns out, I should not have as it looks like it would have went pretty straight. This was the last run of the day. Reaction time was .015 :D

8. Wesley

Wesley

bad ass, congrats

9. L78racer

L78racer
    from Michigan

saw the Banana yesterday and met the crew. great car and great people.

10. ahgarageohio

ahgarageohio
    from ohio

11. 69fury

69fury

That is one Bad Banana! Love it!

-rick

[​IMG]

12. CONGRATS ! Man it's pretty cool to see it going down the track and I'm sure it felt a thousand times better, way to go !

13. Mattbee

Mattbee

Your car looked awesome yesterday!!! I have some pictures and video of it running that I will post as soon as they are done uploading. Matt

14. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT,

Keep up the good work ,

I know your Dad is very proud of you

and to see his old 55 on the track again,

Man I love it........

15. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Its great to see that video after all the hard work you put into rebuilding this car. Makes it all worthwhile huh?

16. jimdillon

jimdillon

The car looked good although I felt for you on the first run with the severe front tire shake. Your next run was remarkably smoother although still a little shake. I did not stay for the rain as I wanted to get some work done on my car but here are a couple of pics taken with my little pocket camera. Really impressive all in all. Good show-Jim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Mr.Bomba

Mr.Bomba

lol!!! Now thats a bad Banana :D

Car is looking good and sounds great!!!!

18. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Here is the picture that can be added to the scrap book that Rusty and Austin will remember for ever. What a great day for them and it was great to be parked next to them in the pits and get to see it run in person.

Jon

[​IMG]

19. Ebert

Ebert

Priceless!!!

20. treeserv

treeserv
    from n.j.

Looks like you need this...congrats!!!!!!!!! See you at beaver springs.

Attached Files:

21. lorodz

lorodz

awsome job congrats ..

22. pregrid

pregrid

Rusty, please don't give up on this thread!! I gotta hunch your dad can deal with whatever negative vibes that came from................er...........................wherever.

23. drag_punk

drag_punk

Happy to see your car go down the track again. Thanks for the great thread.

24. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. uwonamos

uwonamos
    from Omaha, Ne

Gongrats guys, the car sounds great. Your Dad must be very proud.
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

26. jakedmoe

jakedmoe
    from California

wow that looks fun! came close 11.01, lol great time!

27. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Wow! The project thread is great, but actually seeing it run down the 1/4 was even better! I really love this car! Been there, done that, and doing it again!

28. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Thanks all for the responses and PMs. Means alot to me. Some have asked if I quit posting here. No... just not been much to post about. Been going through the car and getting everything ready for the Gasser Reunion in Beaver Springs. Added more caster to the front axle. Turns out Dad had some more caster shims he thought he had given me. I said I have gone through everything and not found any. He said he would look in his shop. Called me back 10 minutes later and said he has just what I needed. He shipped them to me last week and I put them in this weekend. :D

I also added a steering stabilizer shock on the front axle as well. Between the two, that should take out that last little bit of shimmy after the front touches down.

The original paint that came on the headers was crap and I had painted over it and so the paint was not sticking to the headers at all. Any place I had cleaned the original paint off and then painted them, it was fine. Austin sandblasted the headers all the way down to bare metal and we prepped them right and hopefully they will stay painted now. At least they are easy to take off if they need it again at some point.. :cool:

Checked the engine over good. Had a small oil leak (my fault... forgot to put a bolt in the hole that intersects with the fuel pump pushrod. :eek:) Also found there was a broken rocker arm adjusting nut. The stud girdle was holding it but the nut was broken. I happen to have about 4 of the same style nut in some of my old stuff so we got that fixed as well. :)

Next time out will be June 10-12 at Beaver Springs. I am still hoping Dad will be there to finally see this thing in person. The last time he was here and saw this car was last April (2010) and it was sitting in my pole barn with boxes stacked on it and covered in dust. I am crossing my fingers that he will be able to make it. I also hope I can at least drive him around the pits in it. Won't really know for sure until we get there.

Hope to see a bunch of HAMBers there! Stop by and say hello if you are there! We'll be easy to spot!! ;):D

29. Trukcrazy

Trukcrazy

Sounds like a good chance for your master plan to come together. Good luck and will look for the pictures. :D

30. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Looks like you are ready to show off the Bad Banna at Beaver Springs. Have fun and I look forward to the update. Have fun.

Jon