Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dark green paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BeatnikPirate, May 27, 2011.

1. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

I want to paint my roadster a dark kinda Brittish Racing Green color. Anyone have pictures, color codes or other info on Westminster Green, or Connaught green. Both colors are popular on Morgans. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. i was thinkin the same sorta thing for my chevy and came across this the other day in an old street rodder, bout perfect colour wise. i see mine with black belt lines tho

Attached Files:

3. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Mid to late '90's Gm trucks. It has metallic in it, i think they called it emerald green.

4. badshifter

badshifter

British Racing Green Old RM# JA023 New RM # 7414 Glasurit # JAG-602
    Any paint shop should be able to give you the code for any car/color you want.

Attached Files:

5. here is a pic of the Lazy 8 in the 70's

Attached Files:

6. opu27

opu27
    from ONYX,CALIF

i had my 71 chev truck the british racing green. i like it because at night it looks black. dick

7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pick your color and get it mixed, like a pint or a 1/2 pint if they'll do that small amount. Take a test panel and paint it black sealer or epoxy, or maybe 1/2 black 1/2 grey. Spray out 3 nice even coats. If it looks the sae have their mix guy match the color using as many tranparent toners as possible. Spray it out again over the black. The depth and richness you'll get is worth the effort.

8. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

Just had my roadster done
    1991 MIADA BRG
    MAZDA paint code HU
    It has to be the 1991 the newer BRGreens from Mazda are metalic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

10. LOVE that color on hot rods, when i can afford paint i have been planing on dark green with black belt lines.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I followed a dark green Miata down the road a few days ago and thought that it would be a great color for a rod. The Mini Coopers have a dark green listed as British racing green metallic that looks great too.
    Another standby, Chevy truck Forrester Green from the early 50's

12. boxy but good

boxy but good

Oh boy... that's a tricky one. I did the research on the Connaught via PPG. I spoke with PPG Cleveland (216.671.0050) - b/c no one could find the code at the paint distributor. Anyway, it's:
    Color Library Connaught/Morgan/Rover 2010
    Source M026 PRLX (that means it's got some pearl in it - and I swear to god, I can't tell you if it's green or blue or both by looking at the paint at a fancy repair shop that let me drool over it.)
    I was also told that it's a (3) step process... I'm assuming that's the pearl. Are you painting yourself, or taking it to a shop? PPG will only "allow" certain shops to carry that paint.

I finally settled on 2010 Black Pearl Range Rover (which has two white pearls in it) and added green pearl. The white pearl kinda ate the green pearl after it dried.)

I'm thinking Standox or a fancier paint company might have a better handle on the paint code and how to mix it, etc.

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Attached Files:

14. RichG

RichG

...and SAVED to my computer, thank you!

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Very nice.

16. OldCrow

OldCrow

I also like the fact that it can look black at night. I shot my T with a BC/CC over a black sealer/primer. it's a heavy metalic so it kicks in bright sunlight, but looks black at night. adds nice "interest" to a paint job IMHO

Russ

Attached Files:

17. skullhat

skullhat

usually whites and light colors have the pearl in the mid coat if its 3 stage, but darker 3 stage colors generally have the pearl in the base, then a transparent semi-candy mid coat prior to the clear. makes for a good effect.

skull

18. like theHighlander said...go to your supply house, pick a few greens that you like from the color books and see if they can mix you 4oz of a couple so you can do sprayouts. I used to do that for my customers all the time just so they could see how the color looks on a larger panel not just the tiny little chips in the book. btw there are so many greens out there that are cool so good luck

19. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Thanks for all your suggestions, guys.That Miatta green might do it.
    Here's some examples of green paint that I had in mind.
    They're all on Brit sportscars, but I don't know what they are.

Attached Files:

20. Deuces

Deuces

Mmmm... How about GM Fathom Green Metallic???... From '67-'70??.. :eek:

Attached Files:

21. BLOODYJACK. that roadster is friggin perfect!!!:eek:

22. Peter Egan of Road and Track had a similar situation when he was restoring his lotus. He wanted a proper British racing green for his English sports car, but found that the variations originally used among English sports car manufacturers were numerous. In fact there was one company who's British racing green was damn near Black. The sick irony was that the perfect British racing green was what was available on a Japanese sports car -the miata. Look at as many cars as you can in person, in different lights, and talk to the owners. If you narrow down to a few colors from chips, have or make some draw down panels. I have a client who was indecisive about his cars color and left the decision to the best judgment of the paint shop. He hates the color of his car!

23. I'm looking for a green as well. Ihave a 46 ford truck, and it looks like army green.
    Great info here.

24. Whatever you do, figure it out before you paint it. Too expensive to do it twice.

25. I like that Roadster as well and have found that Japanese cars also have the perfect match for Washington blue!

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Details and color photos to back this up please :)

27. I saw a Model A Roadster at the "CHEATERS" show in Milwaukee WI and the "A" was near enough to an original "Washington Blue" coupe... it was stunning how close they were... only difference was the Roadster had a deeper luster!

I asked the Owner for the color code or the recipe and the Model A owner told me he did reverse forensics on Washington Blue and the guy at the paint store told him it was a perfect match for a Mazda color!

As far as photo's you might be able to access them by following up on the past 3 or 4 years of the "CHEATERS" car shows which would be simpler than trying to find the photo's on any of my computers!:eek:

28. sololobo

sololobo

Great color, non-metallic is the coolest. Should look very sweet, like the fact it goes black in the right circumstances. A classic look! Go for it. ~sololobo~

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

First three are morgans, Jag XK150, and a modified MG-TC

30. 1320/150

1320/150

Very cool,but your making it oftly easy to figure out where you live!!!!