Register now to get rid of these ads!

overdrive experts, trying to figure this out

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cj92345, May 26, 2011.

1. cj92345

cj92345
    from so-cal

i've got the pull cable and toggle switch figured out and the unit works great,,,question is the "white" button is a spring loaded button that only works when the toggle switch is on, it activate's the solonoid in the picture, but i cant figure out what it does, i'am kind of afraid to push it when driving, it does work but whats it do?:confused: oh it's a borg-warner unit

thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. The part that is attached to the tranny is the governor. It allows the OD to function above 35 mph. I believe it will also signal the OD to dis-engage when you mash the gas, if the unit is installed in the "factory" configuration. Your unit appears to NOT be a factory install.

3. cj92345

cj92345
    from so-cal

i drive with it "engage" all the time,it's on through all 3 gears, of coarse it it wont back up when engaged and that was my first thought "push" it in to back up, but it dose'nt do that.

4. MilesM

MilesM

That does not sound correct.

5. MilesM

MilesM

When the solinoid is activated it is in OD. Is that what you mean by engaged?

6. MilesM

MilesM

Search and there are complete wiring diagrams for the system.

7. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Your photo shows the "governor" unit, not the solenoid. It activates the overdrive at speeds greater than 26 MPH and deactivates it at speeds less than 23 MPH (give or take) so the overdrive functions automatically. The reason for the spread in MPH is so the unit doesn't bobble upshifting and downshifting as it would if activation/deactivation were at the same speed. Incidentally, the actual solenoid is located on the opposite side of the tailshaft housing and is the size and shape of a small beer can.

The dash button you describe sounds home-cooked. It's probably a momentary contact switch for either upshifting or downshifting. I think there's no reason to fear the button. Somebody put it there to be used, so try it out.

Your second post sounds like somebody overrode the governor switch because you are in an "always on" configuration when the toggle switch is thrown. Maybe it's in automatic mode with the switch in the opposite throw (who knows?).

A wiring diagram is important and easy to get. You can rig these units up in alot of creative ways to get different functionality and alot of people, including the previous owner, apparently have done so.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  8. The "overdrive" cable should be attached to a lever on the transmission on the shift fork side below the speedometer cable. This lever moves an internal rod that will prevent the transmission from going into reverse. So if you push in the cable you should be able to back up.

9. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

It seems to me the button should kick it out of overdrive when pressed. A factory setup would have that under the gas pedal to function almost like a passing gear on an automatic.

10. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

All respect to 57 Heap, my opinion differs, at least on mine and other BW units I've seen. The cable control only prevents the overdrive from engaging, actually the opposite definition of causing it to engage. In other words, the "normal" condition of the OD unit is to engage, but when the lever is pulled by the cable, it moves a shaft that blocks the solenoid from throwing. This has nothing to do with preventing shifting into Reverse, because the transmission portion is separate from the OD unit.

With the overdrive engaged (and activated) you can surely shift the tranny into Reverse, but you can't drive in reverse because the free-wheel clutch won't operate backwards and it simply locks everything up. If you try to operate it backward, the roller pins will jam against the tailshaft housing and if you put enough force on it, you'll crack the housing.

If you want to drive in Reverse, you need to deactivate the overdrive by cutting power to the solenoid (probably by throwing your dashboard toggle). This is usually done by the governor switch at low speeds, but again, I think your governor switch has been bypassed with your dashboard toggle switch.

11. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

This may be true, but the actual kickdown switches are double-pole, meaning that they do two things when pressed, they cut power to the solenoid and also they momentarily cut the ignition to the engine.

The OD won't downshift if there is engine torque on it. Momentarily cutting the ignition to the engine releases the torque so it can downshift.

12. cj92345

cj92345
    from so-cal

drivers side, i'am driving this thing in overdrive all foward gears 1-2-3, maybe not supposed to:confused:

Attached Files:

13. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

What kind of car is that mounted in? What kind of tranny? Looks like a truck, certainly not a Ford or Mercury passenger car.

Looks like the cable is disconnected, but as I wrote above, the cable doesn't engage the OD, only prevents it. The solenoid engages the OD.

If you drive around with OD always activated, first gear acts alot like second gear normally would. Do you find yourself revving the engine and letting the clutch out slowly to get going from a dead stop?

Cars with OD usually have extra low ratio rear ends, like 4:11 or above. With a 4:11 rear you should be able to slowly release the clutch pedal and take off from an idle without ever touching the gas pedal.

14. Jims35

Jims35

My 56 ford will back up anytime ,cable in or out. Take off with it in and it goes in to overdrive at about 25 mph. Push the gas pedal all the way down it touches the switch beneath it and make it shift out of overdrive in to standard drive like a passing gear. Let off of the gas a couple of seconds and it goes in to overdrive again . Or pull the cable out before you take off and it stays in standard mod until you push it in to ingage the overdrive. Standard mod keeps it from freewheeling and helps slow the car down on steep grades. The first car i ever owned was a 55 ford back in 1957 and thats what i learned to drive . The overdrive is a good trany to have if they are wired up right. If you can't use reverse with it with out swiching something off or disingaging something, then it is not set up correct. I have seen cars operated with out the relay switch and they are not working the right way and the owners think they are, it has a reason to be in the circut. Lots of diagrams on the net , just do a search for'early overdrive wireing diagram'. Relays are getting hard to find,but work best with them.

15. The pic in post 12 shows the O/D lever in the locked-out position. If you have no reverse in this condition, there are mechanical issues inside the O/D. Probably an assembly oops. R-10s are simple and can be made to work easily with a modern relay.

16. Henry VIII

Henry VIII
    from Tulsa OK

The Ford and Mercury OD cars I've owned would shift in and out of overdrive in first gear just like second or third, and at the same speed. I use to win bets on being able to shift through 6 gear ratios.

17. Jims35

Jims35

Yes right on. The 56 ford i have now i can do that. Takes a little practice too not damage it.

18. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

My old 54 stude operated just like jims35 until I switched the car over to 12 volt, every thing acted the same except now i could shift in and out of OD at about 15 mph in low gear, (6 volt solenoid running on 12 volts) 4.27 rear gear never gave any trouble in like 8,000 miles.

19. Tiffany

Tiffany
    from seabrook

i dont mean to but in but i have a 50 merc and am trying to hook up the od..and cant figure it out.. do all i have to do is make the selinoid click on and make sure the lever is pushed in??? i have a 12 volt system in it...... can anyone help me... [email protected]

20. Tiffany

Tiffany
    from seabrook

now i hooked it up to the toggle switch and you can hear it click in the selinoid but it doesnt go in.. the handle is in and i dont get it???