Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. map

map

There's a T-33 down the road from me..

[​IMG]

2. fanspete

fanspete

Anybody else see the '55 Chevy with the arched rear fenders?
    [​IMG]

3. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

I see a 55 Buick but no 55 Chevy.

B:)B

kbgreen likes this.
  4. Unless I missed a 55, I just see a stock 1956 Chevy 210 hardtop in the lower right corner of the photo. The different side trim on a 210 makes it appear different.

5. 57 Chevy Station wagon backed in and '55 4 door is right behind it almost

[​IMG]

6. Now I see the arched '55

7. GrizzGang

GrizzGang
    from D/FW

Where is/was this located

8. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Back in '84 a buddy and I were coming home from Texas on bikes and were in the Ouachita Mts. in Eastern Oklahoma. We pulled off at a roadside rest in the middle of nowhere across from an all-in-one, truck stop, general store, service garage, bait shop, etc. There was an old cemetery right at the back of the "rest area" and the ground was littered with spent shell casings of every caliber you could imagine. While we were there two locals in a PU pulled up, sat there a minute staring at us then left. Very creepy. About 10 minutes later they were back, this time there was a girl with them and their EZ Rider Rifle Rack in the back window had a pair of long guns in it that hadn't been there before. My buddy and I looked at each other, both thinking the same thing. :eek: TIME TO HAUL ASS!!! We did.

[QUOTE=jimi'shemi291;6592633]The more I re-read the sign, the MORE I wondered what the heck
    the story was here.:confused: How many people would have been carrying
    -- much less firing -- their guns in the cemetery anyway? There
    must have been a problem at this particular locale.:( Anybody want
    to venture a WAG???:rolleyes:

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

9. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Hmp! Using a cemetery for a target range. Guess it makes sense now. THANKS, RudeBaker!!

10. Brimen

Brimen
    from Norway

[​IMG]

This one ??

:):):)

11. v8 garage

v8 garage

[QUOTE=jimi'shemi291;6592633]The more I re-read the sign, the MORE I wondered what the heck
    the story was here.:confused: How many people would have been carrying
    -- much less firing -- their guns in the cemetery anyway? There
    must have been a problem at this particular locale.:( Anybody want
    to venture a WAG???:rolleyes:

[​IMG][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I am sure they were having trouble with people shooting up the cemetery. What is unusual about it is the presumption of the cemetery association that they could make or enforce firearms laws. Only a government agency can make or enforce such ordinances.
    V/8

12. You talking about the Buick next to the '54 Ford?

13. wrench409

wrench409
    Member Emeritus
    from Here

That's still a Buick. Not a 55 Chevy.

14. Whose the rube that drove his dump truck to the mall?
    (I believe thats a 55 Buick too)

15. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by [SIZE=3[/B] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3[/B]v8 garage[/SIZE];6594062][QUOTE=jimi'shemi291;6592633]The more I re-read the sign, the MORE I wondered what the heck the story was here.:confused: How many people would have been carrying -- much less firing -- their guns in the cemetery anyway? There must have been a problem at this particular locale.:( Anybody want to venture a WAG???:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

[/QUOTE]

I am sure they were having trouble with people shooting up the cemetery. What is unusual about it is the presumption of the cemetery association that they could make or enforce firearms laws. Only a government agency can make or enforce such ordinances.
    V/8[/QUOTE]

Hi, V-8 Garage. Yup, I guess you hit the nail on the head, and I SHOULD have known. Cemeteries pretty much depend on people showing respect and leaving things peaceful -- you know, a RESTING place. The cemetery "staff" works daytime only, and a lot of them are older guys just trying to get a small paycheck, stay alive themselves and put old folks to peaceful rest. Honorable.

But I now realize the connect here. I myself live in an area with a lot of red necks (and, frankly, I AM one!). But some of these buzzards steal anything not nailed down, poach game out of season and trespass anywhere they please. NOT honorable. The sheriff's office is powerless to catch them in the act, as they have a "skeleton" staff (even BEFORE the damn recession started).

Unfortunately, on various threads, I've heard actual members of our forum laughingly espouse the same outlaw philosophy -- "if it's not nailed down." Well, it's not a laughing matter. Just because someone can't WATCH OVER their property every second, day or night, does NOT give anybody license to steal other people's property, shoot it up, run motorcycles and 4-wheelers over someone else's property tearing up sod that animals depend on for food, so long as nobody is there to fill their read ends full of rock salt. I helped put one of these guys in prison, as a matter of fact (NOT a forum member, by any means). Worst we had here was one stealing the NEW brass or bronze VETS badges the local VFW had just put by the vets' graves. But he's in prison too. I just never heard of anybody shooting up a cemetery, so I asked the question.

16. dukeofearl

dukeofearl

Ya I was just going to post that the car in question is a 55 aBuick Century note the side moulding and the curved rear window

17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Anybody have a clue if this is the same Gates of Gates belts/hoses fame (started in Boulder, I think)? :confused:

[​IMG]

HJmaniac likes this.
  18. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Pretty awesome old photo!

[​IMG]

19. unkamort

unkamort

#26049 I remember "Gates Tire and Rubber Co." from some where way back. And that blanket over the hood would indicate cold weather duty. Tire guys always have nice trucks it seems. I wonder if 'Half sole' = recap?

20. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

[/QUOTE]

V/8[/QUOTE]

I'm on the local Cemetery Board, many small town cemeteries are owned and operated by the city, village or township not "associations".

21. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

22. 4dr orphan

4dr orphan
    from Michigan

The one on the left reminds me of my teacher, the infamous Sister Mary Beatcherass

23. From that view it's hard to tell, but it might be a 55 Buick Special. 55 Buick Century wasn't readily available (except to the CHP) as a two door post body style... not that it matters all that much after 56 years. Only reason a 55 Buick catches my eye is cause my father bought a new Roadmaster in 1955. It was sort of fast considering what a sled it was.

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  24. [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

Someone sent me this photo with the following info;
    "During theWW I years (early 1900's), Arthur S. Mole and John D. Thomas made some incredible human pictures by using thousands of sailors or soldiers in uniform to create images":

Pauljrestomod97 likes this.
  25. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also, GM "A" body was the same body used on Buick,Chev,Pontiac,Olds, for many years.

26. jw last

jw last
    from ABQ, NM

Where is this?

27. Monte Montana?.....................

28. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

29. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

30. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The original 'Sharks Mouth' was in fact painted on Australian aircraft before the outbreak of WWI (Thats the first World War), it was then copied and changed for each subsequent user.

Doc.

Last edited: May 28, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.