Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 chevy 150/210 clutch issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Honlude, May 26, 2011.

1. Honlude

Honlude
    from York pa

I have a 54 chevy , car , has 235 6cyl with 3speed on the column. Let me start by saying I bought car in pieces , my issue is that clutch pedal goes almost completely to floor before starting to engage . I have the adjustment on the linkage at fork all the way . Has anyone ran into this . I would think even with a completly wore out clutch I'd still have decent pedal . I'm leaning toward either fork or the "hockey stick " may be bent , also when pedal is pushed down the eye on the rod from pedal binds on the brake return spring . Any suggestions or dose anyone have a good fork and hockey stick laying around

2. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

I don't know what a hockey stick is referring to, but how much free travel do you have before the Throw out bearing contacts the pressure plate? If you have a ton of free play that you can't get out, then you might have the wrong fork or the wrong TOB. They make different shoulder lengths for some Chevy's.

I would check first the free play, then have some one push all the way down on the clutch to see how far the fork actually travels.

If all is working well on the actuating side, you either have a bad pressure plate, the wrong TOB, or the flywheel has been resurfaced to many times causing alignment issues. They do make shims that go between the flywheel and the crankshaft to bring the flywheel surface back out to the position it belongs in.

3. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

I don't have a spare, sorry - but if you post a picture of your linkage, I'll compare it to my relatively stock clutch (from my '51, but it's still underfloor) and we can try to see if you're bent or not.

Hint: roll under the car with your camera from behind the front driverside wheel.

4. Honlude

Honlude
    from York pa

I'll try to get pictures .. All the parts are what was in car prior to. Him dismantling it . He drove car ok . Im afraid when the pulled motor they got fork or linkage caught on something and kept forcing it out .
    When I say hockey stick I'm referring to the L shaped link from fork to rod with eye in it

5. Snarl

Snarl

I know what you mean. The hockey stick is unique to '49-54 cars, so don't try to use one from a truck, etc...

Make sure the hoop on the "skeleton key" is on the hockey stick between the inner most tabs. If its between the outer tabs, you will loose travel and have to put it to the floor to shift...

6. Honlude

Honlude
    from York pa

The hoop is def on the inner part . I may have to just try heating the fork and bend it some if nothing else works

7. brad chevy

brad chevy

Before heating and maybe making problem worse post some pic of the set up.

8. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Go over to ChevyTalk and search on "Clutch fork" in the 49/53 forum. Look for a post by a user there named DZAUTO. Examine the photos in that post. Compare it to yours.

And since that already sounds like a quest... BRING ME BACK THE HEAD OF THE JADE MONKEY.

9. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

hopefully this helps. Make sure you are on the right notch on the "hockey stick"
    [​IMG]

10. Snarl

Snarl

Looks like you need to move over to the inner notch yourself....

11. Looks bent in the photo?
    On our P/U the hockey stick is 90 degrees
    Your looks like more then that?

12. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

You need the long release bearing with the stock clutch,about 2" long overall. About a 1/2 inch between the back of the bearing and the goove for the fork.

13. Snarl

Snarl

cars and trucks are different and do not interchange. The stick on the cars is not 90 degrees.

14. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

The pick up ones are 90. The car one is pictured above. like was mentioned above
    [​IMG]
    pic from chevytalk

...Looks like you need to move over to the inner notch yourself...

Maybe, however I dont think i can adjust the hockey stick longer to make up the difference. I need to do the clutch on this thing soon. i will see if I can get it to work using the inner notch then. Cesar

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  15. Snarl

Snarl

that's where it belongs, so you shouldn't have a problem. That's why there is a "groove" worn into the stick, which you can see in the photo you posted. The "eye" of the "skeleton key" part of the linkage rests in there.

16. Honlude

Honlude
    from York pa

Looks like we are all learning on here , mine is def on the correct notch , my hoop on the skeleton key is riding on the brake return spring , I'm really leaning Twd my fork being bent

17. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

Hope you got a spare fork before you go and try heating and bending that one to "fix" it.

18. Honlude

Honlude
    from York pa

Trying to find a replacement fork and adjustable link somewhere that way I can compare the two first