Register now to get rid of these ads!

Frame ID help request..is this a Merc frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by koolkemp, May 25, 2011.

1. koolkemp

koolkemp

I had a guy email me that he had a 36 Ford chassis for sale(he runs a restoration shop) and after a couple of weeks these are the pics I got lol ! It still may be of use cause the basket case 51 I have the frame is rotted in two, this looks like it could be a 49-51 but I dont know them well enough, looks kinda beefy for a shoebox (I could use one of those to though !) So heres the pics I got sent to me please chime in HAMB gurus!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Scrap !! Been hit hard in the front suspension.

3. koolkemp

koolkemp

I got one thats rotten in the back cause it sat on the ground with no wheels for a long time.... thinking of using the back half of this one to fix mine or clip this one, stuff isnt scrap around here till its rusted beyond use:D

4. Good score Steve,now back to work man. You've got cars to build!

5. username

username

That does not look like my '49 Merc. (if that helps?)

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

What would you say is different ? Anything specific I can check...I havent gone to look at it yet.

7. badshifter

badshifter

8. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I dont know what it is, but it ain't no Merc. Everything is off, rail contours, body mount locations and shapes factory partitions for dual exhaust which aren't on Merc frames (I'd love it had they been!), rear shock mount, etc etc. I still have that bare frame!

9. username

username

Right off the bat I see the rear shock mount cross bar is in front of the rear differential, mine rear of the diff and is completely a different style.

The X member circle/oval pattern is different.

The end 3' or so of the frame does not have the same hole pattern as my '49.

Its hard to tell where the leaf springs mount on yours, but it must be different.

It appears the inner tie rods connect differently than mine.

Those are the things that are jumping out to me, good luck on your search.

username

10. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thanks guys I might still go look at it, I think it will be just scrap price anyways Unionville dont tempt me :D I have been keeping an eye on a 49 Monarch more door no motor and trans but reasonably solid looking....hes been wishy washy on the price and is about a 5 hr drive away .....

11. Maybe a Lincoln.

12. koolkemp

koolkemp

Any other guess's?

13. jfrolka

jfrolka

Maybe Lincoln... the front lower control arms look merc-ish but too many weird things like unionvillehaunt stated.

14. Definitely not Lincoln.
    Well not '49 to '51 anyway.
    Too many things different.

15. koolkemp

koolkemp

I am thinking it must be some kind of Mopar? If he had sent pics showing the front suspension it would have prolly been ID'd by now....

16. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

If this guy runs a restoration shop and called this a '36 Ford frame don't believe nothing he says. I bet he would lie about other stuff as well.

17. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Yeah...those pictures are of a '36 frame like I'm Lady Gaga.....unless you can positively determine that the frame he's selling is what you need for your shoebox, I'd cease doing any sort of business with this 'restorer'. Alternative is that he told one of his "swampers" to go take pix of that 36 frame out back, and LunchPail Boy just didn't have a clue....

ask the guy you're dealing with what makes him think it's a 36 Ford frame.

dj