Register now to get rid of these ads!

no trim around windshield?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by noxided, May 26, 2011.

1. noxided

noxided

Ive got an off topic truck, but you guys on here know it all and this could be used on an older vehicle also.

It has chrome trim around the windshield and i would like to make it more modern and just glue it in. is that possible?

2. alchemy

alchemy

Sure, why not?

3. Glue in glass nees to lay on the flange. A gasketed glass will be smaller than the flange. Does that help?

As far as the chrome trim it does not hold the glass or the gasket in place you can remove it if you like.

Oh and I don't know it all but I do know a little bit about some of it.

4. I had an old (OT) VW bug with chrome inserts in the weatherstrips. Pulled them out and it didn't make any difference with the seal.

5. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Why do that?? Chrome trim looks better......and it's *traditional*.....

CB

6. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

If it is on a newer car/truck I'd take it to a glass guy and ask him if it can be done. They probably wouldn't do it because of the "legal" stuff but maybe they would be so kind as to walk you through the process.

Hey cuznbrucie, is that a Willy's grille in the 'box in your avatar? You have any more pics?!:)

7. schwerko

schwerko
    from bristol ct

I did that on one of my rides and it worked well. The glass shop had a universal trim seal to finish it off. Looked clean.

8. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Seems 'round here folks like to make things look OLDER not newer!

9. Use a S-10 universal type of glue in rubber,,yhat was the hot ticket back when Street Rodders were building the Easter Egg cars. HRP

10. noxided

noxided

Thanks a lot guys. Even though this is a 1987 Bronco i knew yall could help. The reason I want the chrome going is that im going to make it look like a 2008 Saleen 2wd bronco.

11. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

No.......Cal Custom single wing bar type grill thing from the '50's.....designed for the *Fiddy One* Ford...I just stuck it in there for the pic........the whole front is not ready for trim or paint just yet......

I plan to post a *build thread after the car is done and roadworthy......it's drivable now and all the mechanical work is done.........just a bit more body work before it'll be ready to paint.......then the red & black rolled and pleated interior goes in and all of the trim goes on..........maybe another two months.......stay tuned.....

CB

12. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Solid. I dig it. :cool:

13. badshifter

badshifter

Well played. I was going to suggest the S-10 truck swap. You keep your windshield glass and swap it onto an S-10. Then place a dryer sheet in it.