Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can Someone Tell Me What This Wheel Is From?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ♠Stovebolt♠, May 25, 2011.

1. Hello all

This is the sterring wheel out of my 1961 Chris Craft. I am trying to find out what car it is from. On my build sheet from Chris Craft, is says the steering wheel is Chrysler. I'm hoping someone here may be able to recognize this wheel.

Thanks folks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Last edited: May 25, 2011
  3. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I'd venture that your wheel is an aftermarket part...looks way too much like a T-bird logo to be anything else. Could be it's a stocker from Europe...but I don't think its OEM anything on this side of the pond. As I look at it again, I wonder it it's off of a German Ford...Taunus or one of those.

dj

4. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Just remembered that our old C-C runabout we had at Lake Chelan had a wheel with a horn ring and it actually honked the horn (on the bow). Wheel you have doesn't look familiar, but our barrelback was from pre-50s

dj

5. badshifter

badshifter

6. The spokes actually mimic the grille shape on the Desoto a bit

7. 4950ford

4950ford
    from cushing,ok

man that wheel is beautiful

8. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I wonder if anyone told DeSoto that their emblem looked too much like a T-Bird logo? :)

Here's one with the wheel mounted on the correct side of the car!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/myoldpostcards/4889725420/

9. I knew I posted this up in the right place! Thanks so much! Propwash, I started to think the same thing, because I couldn't find anything online. But my build sheet said Chrysler, and all the Chrysler stuff looked real close, but never exact. Now I got the goods! I just have to find all the horn mechanisms now! And yah, it DOES honk the horn, just like a car. Did your old barrel-back have a Ford wheel in it? I know alot of the Pre war stuff had Ford wheels in them.

Anyway, truly, thanks guys for your help!