Register now to get rid of these ads!

Headlight Switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bumpercarkid, May 25, 2011.

1. bumpercarkid

bumpercarkid
    from Orion, MI

I am working on my lights for my 1959 Chevy Truck. Now I may be wrong but I believe that stock this switch would have been 6 volt? My whole truck is 12 volt now either way.

Anyways when I go to the auto parts store to get a headlight switch they cannot get a stock one from 1959.

Is there a switch from another car I should use? I'd like a dimmable three position.

Just wondered if someone has found a car that has a switch that is easy to wire and good to use.

2. 2-TONED

2-TONED

12 volt since 55. you are good to go.

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

you probably could use a Chevrolet pick up truck head light switch from the 60's or 70's
    easy available and cheap..NAPA probably has em in stock and it will more than likely wire right up

4. belair

belair

repops are out there too.

5. bumpercarkid

bumpercarkid
    from Orion, MI

That's good to know that it's all 12 volt. Guages should be good then?

Any opinion as to which would be better? Repop or from a 65 Chevy Truck?

6. squirrel

squirrel

I'd try a repop, or a good used 55-59 truck switch if you can find it. 55-56 chevy cars use the same switch.

The 65 switch will have a different thread for the nut, and a different shaped rod on the knob. It's also harder to figure out where to connect the wires...the 59 switch is marked (although it's just one letter per terminal, and it kinda helps to know the old GM color code and what the terminals are called)

Patience is a virtue when working on this stuff.

The stock gages should be fine. The gas gage sender is usually bad, and the speedo is usually worn out and might have stripped gears in the odometer because they stick when the grease gets old.

7. bumpercarkid

bumpercarkid
    from Orion, MI

Thanks for the advice. Is there a way an original one could go bad? I have an original one but I don't know if it's any good. I'd like to hook it up and use it but idk if they can go bad? Or short out?

Another question I have, my guages are stock from '59, my fuel tank and sending unit are brand new from a '69 mustang. will that be accurate on my fuel gauge?

8. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Generally switches don't care about voltage. On my 51 Ford I wanted the appearance of the beautiful deco knobs but light switch was so pooched couldn't use it. I also wanted three position switch with dimming but wanted to retain 51 dash location for interior light. Got a relatively new Ford switch saved 51 knob carefully removed it from the 51 shaft installed newer switch did some shadetree calculations on the shaft for the newer switch. Carefully removed knob from newer shaft and cut it to length. Epoxied the modified shaft into 51 knob and did some rewiring. That was 8 years ago and it works fine. Mustang sender will not work with GM gauge.

9. bumpercarkid

bumpercarkid
    from Orion, MI

Well if voltage doesn't matter then maybe I'll try my original switch and hope for the best. I figured that ford sender would not work with GM gauge. Thanks forall the help guys.

10. Late '60s early '70s nova, easy to wire, its GM and they will run the park lites when the headlights are on if you like.