Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Go-Karts

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by VonMoldy, Mar 17, 2008.

1. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

Just to let you know thats a rare kart, its a mcculloch R-1 still has the factory front wheels cant quite tell on the rear similar to azusa's and has the factory pedals as well. Take gentle care of it WELL WORTH a good restoration.

2. casper

casper

I picked this one up because I thought I might use the wheels and tires on a vintage quarter midget project, but I started looking at the frame and the front axle looks like it has never been bent! The rear section has had junk welded on in several places by a hacker, but all the goober stuff is behind the rear axle and the big "Bendix" style brake. I think I can clean up or replace anything that has been damaged too badly by previous owners if I can find out what brand it might be, or a picture of something similar. The pedals might be a clue the way they bend around the tie rods. Any comments would be welcome. Thanks.

Attached Files:

3. candyman

candyman

1973 Rice Quarter Midget... This was the day we brought it home... should be racing this summer... going to be Candy Red soon...

Attached Files:

4. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

The front axle and pedals are definately Caretta, but those are the only Caretta parts that I can positively ID. Possibly the steering hoop. I know Art Ingles (who worked for Kurtis building midgets and 1/4 midgets before going off into the go kart biz by starting Caretta) would sell axles and such to home builders, so it's possible that it was a one off "special" that someone built using the Caretta front end. It's hard to see, but looks like it has a tab on the top frame rail above the axle for a swing mount.

Here are photos of a Caretta that we restored a few years ago, so you can see the front axle.

after.jpg

rear.jpg

P1010045.JPG

5. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Looks like a nice collection of Quarter midgets, do you have any Offyette's by Robel?
    [​IMG]
    http://www.inventorpat.com/kidcars.htm
    That is the same company that made my 1958 Desoto Firemite and my 1950s Divco Junior milk truck

6. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

Caretta used a smaller than standard rear axle - rather than a keyed 1" shaft stepped down to 3/4" in the outer half of the wheel, theirs were smaller but I can't remember the dimensions. The wheels you have, and that they used on all their karts were made by Go Power Corp in Palo Alto, CA.

7. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

Terry-

The Caretta rear axle was 3/4" stepped down to 5/8" due to the enclosed rear axle tube and the bearings required- although on the Caretta we did we found bearings that allowed us to go with the usual 1" axle since the Caretta style Go Powers weren't with the Kart, and these are the repop MKII Go Powers that ASW made a few years ago.

8. FANTM58

FANTM58

Heres one we had as kids,,,,,,wish I still had it !!
    Thats me driving with my sister !!! about 1970 ??
    We had 2 of them, Dad gave 1 to a guy and in return he was going to get the other running .We never seen them again .

Attached Files:

9. AT pate swap meet,Rathman exterminatar 800.00. To steep for
    me.[​IMG]

10. MorMetal

MorMetal

I lived 2 blocks away from where these were made in Sebring, Oh by the Pressweld Co. The year was 1959. Took a year to save up enough to buy one with the fiberglass body. Those were the "Track Rabbit" models.

Raced the crap out of it every weekend at a local track 6 blocks away.

[​IMG]

11. Ga55er

Ga55er
    from Texas

HAHA! Me Too!

Attached Files:

12. Do you know what kind of kart was in your last pic. (the orange one with white stripe).It was nice, didnt see a price, but it sure was small.

13. morrissanford

morrissanford
    from louisiana

Man; what a parts and karts stash!... If a vintage karter passed out and woke up in that spot he would swear he died and was in heaven... You got a couple of 101's stashed in there you wanna sell... ? Wow!!!!

14. Can anyone read the sign in the last pic ? Im seeing 1600 but I cant read whats before and after the number.

15. I think that 1600 was the as ordered price . It says that it is as found stock condition and run the quarter in 9 1/2 seconds , cica mid sixties ( thats wrong , the kart is no newer than 1962) . owned by David Crowhurst until 1970.

16. 4t7flat

4t7flat

My son and I were members of the Ford Thunderbird Kart club in the early 80's. He won the club Grand Champion trophy in 1985. At that time we were running a early Margay chassis that was built for small kids,(most karts were built for adults and adapted for kids). That kart was unbeatable in the hands of a 8 year old. By 1990 we were into national enduro karts. Our Briggs powered sprint karts cost about $3800. ready to run,and our Yamaha powered enduro had about$5000. in it.

17. Thanks ,thats what I figured it was, blew it up and still couldnt read it. If it was for sale for 1600, I was taking a road trip.

18. Deuce_Eddie

Deuce_Eddie
    from Portugal

I've owned a vntage McCulloch F1 for a few years, but recently sold it to a collector for 500 euro. Hasn't run for years (but the engine wasn't sticking), was pretty nice overall, and completely stock.

[​IMG]

Shame to see it go, but I can't fit in it anymore, and I've too much to play with to be bothered with it so I made some more room in the garage.

Cheers, Eddie

19. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

while looking for something in the attic over the weekend I came across a bunch of boxes with my old magazines,race programs and cataloges and came across this magazine....Rich

Attached Files:

• 077.jpg
      077.jpg
      File size:
      474.7 KB
      Views:
  20. lowpunk

lowpunk
    from berwyn, il

Hey guys. Just picked these up. For the price i couldn't go wrong in just motors and odds and ends. Any idea what these are. I know they've been chopped up a bit but any ideas? Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. drivewaycustoms

drivewaycustoms
    from waldorf,MD

does anyone know anything about this kart, I got it in trade for putting some hydraulics on a car?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. McDeuce

McDeuce

Very cool stuff !

23. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

Thats an early 60's Bug with a West Bend engine- very collectible kart

24. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I've got a RUPP MONZA JR. I have had since I was in 2nd grade.. Its complete, but not running at this point.. I need to get busy with it, just like all my other projects.. If it was'nt for my kids taking up all my time I might get something done..lol I kid, others build cars,boats, I'm building respectable future adults.. ( I HOPE)! My pops flamed it back in the day, and it still wears the same flames.. I will try to get a pic of it here soon.. Fo now it just hangs on my wall in my garage...

25. Interesting to see how the European Karts went away from the more traditional American design really quite quickly.
    Here's our '64 Tecno Puima with Parilla BA13 motor. The first of the 'sidewinders'.
    By the end of 64 if you wanted to win you had to have one of these.
    [​IMG]

26. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

I had my 1966 loaded up and ready to go to the car show today but it rained all day so I had to leave it is the van. The 3HP Briggs motor doesn't get it moving fast but it looks damn good getting there. I have everything working headlights, taillights, brake lights, horn and even reverse using the original Fairbanks Morse combination centrifugal clutch/planetary reversing transmission. The only thing I have left to do is get the seat upholstered.

I am getting really sick of all this rain.

Attached Files:

27. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

I won one of these in 1969, when I was 6 years old. The local Chevy dealer had a raffle and they drew my name. It was made by Rupp and was called a Chevy Jr. Ended up selling it in about 1985. Sure would like to get it back. :(:(:(

After my older brother took the govenor off, (and before his buddy broke the rear axel),:mad::mad::mad:, it would go about 45 - 50 mph. It had a very sturdy fiberglass body, a white seat, and the wheels looked like Pontiac 8 lug wheels from the early 60's.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  28. badshifter

badshifter

Might as well throw my Divco on here. I mean my girls Divco.

Attached Files:

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  29. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

Some ads from a 1961 HRM. Right about the time racing karts was really heating up.