Register now to get rid of these ads!

X1183 Edelbrock 24-Stud Sidevalve Heads... What the???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by |Tom|, May 15, 2011.

1. |Tom|

|Tom|

I have a set of cursive-script Edelbrock Sidevalve heads with 'X1183' stamped at one end.

The compression ratio of these heads are 9.5:1.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have done some research but cannot find a cross reference for this catalog number.
    1125 and 1120 was all I could find, that is, Model R and Model S.

I would like to know what these heads actually are based on the number, or whether this number was just stamped in afterwards for kicks.

Any information would be appreciated!

Tom​

2. flatoz

flatoz

have you cross referenced to the vintage edelbrock catalogue that Ryan posted the other week? that water neck looks funky.

3. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

is that a copper fitting screwed into the water outlet???

4. |Tom|

|Tom|

Yeah I did look at that... No luck!

I actually think it is brass!

5. |Tom|

|Tom|

hmm.. I did some more searching... Still no luck!

6. From the pics you have provided they look like "R" heads. That brass water neck is screaming BOAT to me.

Do you have any pictures of the complete side of the head to verify "R" or "S"? Any pictures of the combustion chambers?

"R" heads have a square side profile, they require the use of longer head studs, they also have more water capacity. The "S" head have a kidney shaped side profile, the can be used with all stuck length studs, they have the same water capacity as stock heads. The "S" stands for stock replacement, "R" stands for racing application.

I have a pair of "R" "SPCL" heads. from my research the "SPCL" means Special Order. The information I was given says that my heads came blank, only pocketed for valves and drilled for spark plugs. The engine builder had to cut in their own combustion chambers.

How do you know they are 9.5:1? That is usually stamped in the neck where it has been machined off for the brass water neck.

How is that water neck attached? Is it threaded in or is it soldered in?

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  7. |Tom|

|Tom|

I appreciate your response!

Here is some photos, they seem not have a kidney shaped profile, meaning they must be "R" heads. Also note a water jacket hole drilled and threaded into the edge. The boat idea is making sense.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WOW!! What a neat pair of heads!!

Here is another picture.

[​IMG]

The heads have been threaded to take the water neck.

Thank you.​

8. The modifications as shown are really looking like boat type stuff. The machining on the neck looks very clean, I am wondering if the neck is a factory Edelbrock modification for a boat specific product line. Edelbrock was very heavy in Boat racing at one point. Have you tried to contact Edelbrock directly. They do have an extensive collection of data and they also have a historian to do the research.

Here is a thread that I did asking about the Block letter heads. It includes a picture of both "S" and "R"heads side by side. You can see the differences. I will get you some pictures of my heads once my wife bring my camera back from Africa next week.

9. |Tom|

|Tom|

Thank you for that. I have not tried Edelbrock directly yet but I will soon. That link is great, shows the difference clearly!! Thanks again!!

10. scooterseats

scooterseats
    from East Texas

What are the differences between the Script and Block styles of lettering? Is one type more desirable or preferred over the other? Early or late? Just wondering and know that the experts on here will know. Thanks

11. |Tom|

|Tom|

Most block letter heads are 21-stud (pre '38) but Edelbrock did produce block letter heads for the '49/'53 motors starting in '48 (these are VERY rare!)... while the scripted heads are most common on the later motors. You can buy reproduction block letter heads for the later engines.

It is really up to personal choice and project period!

12. jersey greaser

jersey greaser

that sure looks marine to me, that thread on the head would hook up to the water cooled exhaust manifold then out the exhaust system on the transom.

13. |Tom|

|Tom|

I think I need to find the history on these heads!!!

14. flatoz

flatoz

Tom, you sure on all that? I have a pair of early 24 stud centre water neck block letter heads. Their not 21 stud. Do you mean edelbrock did block letter heads for the early 24 stud motors?

15. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

he was saying the block letter heads are rare for the 8BA flatty. he should have said edelbrock switched over to script in 49.

16. |Tom|

|Tom|

Yes! That is what I should have said! Thank you!

17. Sorry for the delay, Finally got some better pics of my heads and motor. As you can see the heads are stamped SPCL

[​IMG]

This is what the R head profile looks like, same as yours

[​IMG]

Here is my motor, still no internals, someday!!!

[​IMG]

18. |Tom|

|Tom|

Thank you for posting those pictures! That is really something!... You sure have a neat motor there!

Is that a dual coil distributor?

19. Yeah, it is a Harman Collins Dual Coil

[​IMG]

20. Tom,

Not to correct you but The only Pre-War product that Edelbrock made that I am aware of was the "Slingshot", It was after the war that Edelbrock began making cylinder heads in the 59 configuration. I have never seen and 21 stud heads from Edelbrock in any configuration.

21. |Tom|

|Tom|

WOW! That is a really neat distributor!!

Oh okay, so he made the slingshot before the war. That is great to know. Okay so he didn't actually make any 21-stud heads then? They were for the V8-60 and 24-Stud... right? I don't mean to question you Sir but I'm just a interested 20yr old kid!!