Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. BadNews

BadNews

Unfortunaltely, I moved out of Fort Myers, FL on Dec. 27th. I had raced the car at Bradenton for the NMCA season opener (I was runner up in Nostalgia Super Stock) in 2010, and I ran the Pinks All Out at Palm Beach
    International Raceway last year (didn't get in the final 32). I had run some test and tunes at Immokalee, where I raced my 10 second '78 Malibu. I now am in NC and lovin' it. I've not raced it here yet. I've gone to some Friday cruise ins at Sonic. I'm waiting for the fall for Super Chevy
    where I will probably race it in the Pro category (B-2). I may show it.....
    I'm unsure. If you check out the StreetLegalTV.com site - look up:
    Kevin McDonough and his Nostalgia Super Stock Bel Air. The photographer
    took a bunch of shots at the NMCA race. Then they picked it for an article. Turbo Action had it on their website under the street converters.
    The best part of that NMCA race, was taking out the two time World Champ in Nostalgia Super Stock.... Doug Duell in the '64 Max Wedge 9.75
    second "Drag'n Wag'n". When I come down to Ft Myers to visit my son,
    he's getting married in April, I'll look you up. Good luck with your project.:)

2. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

Kevin,
    Geez, you do get maximum enjoyment from your Bel Air!
    I was checking out your album - 11.60's at 114 mph and low 1.60's 60ft. !!
    And your having fun on the street!
    BTW....very nice pic's in your album also. Such a nice car!

Eddie

3. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Lucky you. I wished I had moved to N.C. as this Florida living kind of sucks. I live in an HOA gated community that I call the "Land of the Living Dead". Most here are escapees from a nursing home and I dont shoot golf unless its with a shot gun ! Oh well Live and learn. Im moving in about a year and a half so I dont have to return the $6500" oBUMa money" for buying a home the second time around. I have to stay in this one for 3 years. I knew Doug Duells dad very well before he passed away when I worked for the NMCA and was at Indy when he got runner up with the real "Draggin Wagon" against Larry Lombardos "Buck Shot Corvette. He was a great guy. Anyway have a great time and maybe we can hook up at a race sometime.
    Terry

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  4. BadNews

BadNews

Thank you. Yours looks awesome. Reminds me of my old Aztec Bronze
    '57 Bel Air wagon. I switched from the M/T Street Radials (295/65R15)
    to a set of Goodyear Eagle drag radials (9.0 X 30 - R15). Just from the weight savings, still through the full exhaust system, I ran an 11.511 @
    116.51 mph at Bradenton. My best 60' time is a 1.629, with 1/8 mile
    times of 7.309 at 93.91 mph. All on pump gas ... not too shabby for
    a 4,000 barge (with driver). Send out some pic's of that '57!

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  5. BadNews

BadNews

Terry, sounds great. Let me now if you get up this way to a race. I lived in Cape Coral, FL which was known as "Cape Coma" and "Cape Coral.........
    Home of the Newly Wed and the Nearly Dead" ..... mainly new family starter homes and retirees. It served a purpose, but we left after "enough was enough".... as far as the heat and the humidity. I wanted a change of seasons, and the mountains are awesome.

6. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

Kevin,
    I recently had a co-worker post some pics of my 57 on my HAMB Profile Album and also on the "tri five chevys lets see em" thread also on the HAMB page 54 #1076. Had to have said co-worker post my pics as this old computer of mine stalls if you ask to much of it. I didn't think I should post any pics on this thread.

BTW, congrats on your cars performance gains - great numbers!

Eddie

7. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Well guys! I've finally completed my "White Power" restoration project and have a 166 pic chronology of the restoration loaded on my "Snapfish" photo host site. I am adding a link for all to see. If you can sort the pixs by date when you get there you can see the actual day-by-day chronology of the project. If you cant sort -- then you will just have to use your imagination on the chronology! Keep in mind that the entire project in this album from start to finish lasted just 10 weeks!!! Since that time - over the past winter, I have completely redone the Engine, trans, and rearend for the car including 4.10 gears and Moser Axles. The engine is an exact original 67 W30 motor built just as it was when it was raced in the late 60s! I have 2 videos of the "maiden" start-up and maiden voyage of the car and will try to get them loaded on a host so i can add them here. For aay of you with a Facebook page, you can view the videos on my (wall) at Facebook ( Tweed Vorhees).
    Here's a pic or two with the car at its first race outing last week end ad Dragay 42 using 1/8th mile strip. Its gotta a few bugs to work out but i was satisifyed with the performance for the 1st day. Best of 8.00 @ 84.12 MPH (that computes to a 12.48 qtr). IT NEVER RAN THAT QUICK THE WHOLE TIME I RACED IT!!! (12.62 was my very best back in the day).
    http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/t...otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Attached Files:

8. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Ok --
    I told ya all last year that i wanted to make it to YORK this year! I'm ready! Now all I need is some details and info about it all? Who can fill me in on all the particulars? or a link to some??
    Thanks.
    Tweed
    Hope to see many of you there? Will there be racing for these "nostalgia" cars?

9. AHotRod

AHotRod

That is a very cool D/Stocker ..... I love the paint design. Great picture!

10. AHotRod

AHotRod

That is a GREAT picture :D

11. judge

judge
    from pa

Looks like engine by Rodger Sinistri i think it was driven or owned by Bob Chaivinsky but i don't know the early history i have to ask Rodger senior on that ...

12. BadNews

BadNews

Tweed,
    Lookin' good! Glad you're out enjoying it. More people need to make their dreams come true. Bench racin' is fun, but does not compare with getting out on the track and running the car. Great job!

13. BadNews

BadNews

Colsey,
    Thanks for the great shot. That name would work well today!

14. Another shot of "Inflation"! :)

Attached Files:

15. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

16. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Heres another link to try that shouldnt require registering to view?
    http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/s...ewReg_30FreePrints_2010Feb/otsc=SYE/otsi=SANR

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  17. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Yes! But know all i want to do is to get it to run as good as yours does!! Your times are exactly where i have tried to build this thing to do. 11.60s with 1.6 60" time. 7.50s in 1/th. Street driveable with mufflers on pump gas. I'm very curious to hear more about the difference in those DOT drag tires -- M/T vs Gyears??
    Any tips appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tweed

18. thunderkiss65

thunderkiss65
    from Detroit

Thats kinda what I did. This car had some vintage speed equipment and is a total rat. So I did this to it while I gather the time and funds to restore it.

[​IMG]

19. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Is this the car that I saw on the trailer at the North Ohio Oldsmobile show last year - sittin in McDonalds parking lot? Looks good now! Even better later - eh?

20. thunderkiss65

thunderkiss65
    from Detroit

Yep, same car. Ill have it at the Homecoming next month if its not raining.:rolleyes:

21. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

I was at that race but don't remember much about it....or that car. Mostly I recall staying in Hamilton,Ontario with my wife and sight seeing at Niagara Falls. I drove up in my '67 GTO and my partner and his very pregnant wife drove up in our ramp truck.....She must have been very uncomfortable......She slipped and broke a heel as we walked down some steps in an aquarium somewhere near the falls.....We were all concerned about her and the baby....she was fine and the management there was super nice to us....as they were also worried about her as well.....

I recall a street concert in Hamilton at night...... Nice place.....except for the guy that tried to pick up my wife in a bar as we sat around a table....

I should have told the guy to take her as it truned out a few years later....LOL

We had carburetor issues at the track and I spent a lot of time trying to fix a Q-Jet......Needless to say we lost early.....I think it was stumbling......

22. At one time $6.00 was alot of cash....lol.....thanks colesy for the great stuff....brings back the memories.

23. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Hey Tweed, Try googling "York Nostalgia" and you should be fine. Darwin pops on here from time to time so I'm sure you can get an entry form. What a GREAT show! I really enjoy it and look forward to participating every year. If you have any trouble, let me know here or by email and I'll be glad to help. By the way, I took my W31 out (we rented Capital) and made a couple of shakedown runs. If you google "David Siltman Nostalgia" there is a short video that a good friend posted on Youtube. If someone that is a little more computer savvy than me would be so kind to provide the link from that video to THIS site, I would be forever grateful. Thanks in advance, Dave.

24. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

You bet the racing was better. No "Start and stop" .90 junk :rolleyes: or 1000 foot shut off runs like today and stockers were stockers as in Jr. stock.......LOL. Id rather pay the $40 back then than $6 for todays crap. Let us all know if you find that time machine.

25. If you have said "Time Machine" book me a seat .........there's a few races at Cayuga that I'd like to catch...again......lol.......maybe we can start 1970 and work backwards....lol.

26. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Here's another story that has to do with Cayuga....

In 1980 I raced a '69 Camaro SS/JA. The SummerNationals was held at E-Town of course in July.....I needed to attend one WCS race just to be able to get an entry sent to me to enter the Summer's. My engine was minus an intake as I was having it modified......I got the intake on friday and hurriedly installed it after work.....Piled some stuff in my pickup truck including my young son who was about 12.....Cayuga was the last race we could attend and get that credit...It was an 8-10 hour drive....We made it in time to get thru tech....got my credit.....Went to work on getting the engine started and timing set......Somehow in my haste to get ready I must have started working on the carburetor....a Q-Jet...must have left the base screws loose.......2 came loose and wound up in the engine as I was doing the timing......Wedged in a piston deck, busted a spark plug and unfortunatley the block cracked just from the piston being wedged in the bore by the screws on the top.....

Was one of the worst trips and stories I have ever had in drag racing. I pulled the head at the track and found all the damage.....Was very tired from the drive and serioulsy disgusted.....Found a motel....bought some dinner....had a few beers and got some sleep.....Drove to Niagra Falls the next morning to show my son......Weather turned vicious as we passed thru Syracuse NY and we were caught up in a wicked mini-burst type storm....Damaged my car, my truck and my trailer......Geez...

Sleeved the block, got new pistons....made it to the Summernationals.....got beat in class first round....did not get in eliminations....

Drag racing back then was a real test is all I can say.......I think I passed the test many times......LOL

27. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Terry there really is nothing wrong with todays racing....

It's all in your head bro.....If you were racing you'd know it is still great fun.....no matter what the class....Trust me I know. I have raced all of it and am really hating right at this moment that I am not out at Maple Grove racing....I have everything I need to do these races but let negativity stop me......It is dumb.....One day we will not be able to do it for any number of reasons....being dead would be at the top of that list!!! I am 63 now....feeling great but one never knows....

My best bud and service manager at work is the Go-Stop and go 9.90 Division Champ from last year.....One other good friend is running T/D and just ran 6.94 at 194......We would be having a big ole time tonight celebrating his first 6 second pass.......and enjoying the race.....

28. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

lol.............

29. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Im sorry but the show today is of no interest to me. Im 65 and still have my health. I have the $$$$ to do it again but the burning desire is just not there. Stock is not stock anymore as the stockers are more radical than my SS/IA Camaro was in 1978 and the NHRA has seen fit to allow the underrated new cars to run over established combos. I love S/G and S/C when it was new but all of the electronics have made it a waste of track time to me. What happened to building a car to run just a little under amd use weight or a stop bolt to hit the index? With delay boxes, throttle stops, timers and all the huge motors running 30 and 40 MPH faster :eek: than they neeed to just dosent cut it with me or about 95 % of the spectators. Id rather run a nostalgia race.

30. BadNews

BadNews

Tweed, the big difference is the weight, and the Goodyear tires I use are drag radial slicks...not DOT tires. The M/T ET Street Radials were DOT
    approved. The Mickeys weighed in at 38 lbs each, while the Goodyear Eagle radial drag slicks weighed only 23 lbs each !!! That's 30 pounds of
    rotating mass. I lost 0.12 seconds and gained 2.41 mph .... I may try a set of Moroso tires next on the front to see if there's more left in it. I
    don't think running open headers and removing the air cleaner will help much, but I may try that, if I add a roll bar to the car. I can't run any quicker without the bar.