Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What motor should I put in my '52?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1- shot slinger, May 4, 2011.

1. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Do what they did in the old days. Find the biggest motor you can get your hand on for the cheapest.

2. Times 2

3. farmer12

farmer12

289/top loader or a 302/c4.

4. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i put a 302/c6 in my 53 ford....put after getting out run and being bore with that combo i put a stroke ,dart headed 6'' rod sbc/350 turbo..
    the 302 can look pretty good with some finned valve covers and some dress up stuff..

5. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

a 4.9 300 I6 with a cam and four barrel would be cool. That motor is cheap and bolts up to any sbf trans.

6. flattopdan

flattopdan

hey man, go with the 302 or 351 but go with an aod tranny. thats whats in the truck and you will like the hiway gear that it has plus it plenty feisty off the line. but if you choose to go yblock witch would be cool i got a fresh 3 speed overdrive out of dropkicks 55 that would bolt up. even got a 272 that i bet if you put new bearings in it would run just fine..

7. Or you could build a fordillac. That would be a somewhat correct engine if correct means what may have been done way back when. And Olds V-8 was also a swap that was moderately popular.

The SBF/C4 combo may be your cheapest route.

8. tommyganly

tommyganly
    from seaford de

i think you should put the biggest most bad ass MOFO you can shoe horn in between the fenders.

9. I built a nice new 350 sbc for my 49 ford coupe. Built the motormounts hgh enough so the pan cleared the tierod and used a kitted 350 turbo...ran very hard in the light ford, got great mileage and would cruise all day long with the 3.00 gear in the maverick rear end. I had to do a little floor work after raising the engine/trans but that was because I sat the car really low. Was a joy to drive.
    PS...I flipped the spindle supports, cut the front coils, used a 1.25" Trans-am sway bar and 3" rear blocks...rebuilt the original shubox front/maverick rear brakes...stopped just fine for me.
    My shubox and your 53 suspension is the same.
    I know it's not politically correct here to use smallblock chevies in ANYTHING but it's still a fine alternative to the smallblock ford swap. I just don't like ford engines/transmissions...never trusted them after having several.

Attached Files:

10. If you're looking for a good running dependable ride a 302/c4 is a good easily found choice. With little chrome, headers, carb and intake they look and sound great and go pretty good. Stick a HEI distributor in it for about 65$ right off the bat also. GM 350/350 would be a good second choice, cost more to buy but less to soup up. Remember 50's engines look neat but don't perform as reliably or as well as 60-70-80's. depends on how much you're gonna drive it. It's neater'n hell either way!

11. easyissy

easyissy

Keep it traditional. Put a Y-Block in it. :D

12. 73RR

73RR

Wow, Really!!??:eek::eek: Good information to have.....

13. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

High performance 302 with a 5speed .

14. 1- shot slinger

1- shot slinger

Thanks for the offer Dan! I went ahead and I got a 302 and C4 from Morgan that he wasn't using. Now I just need to get it rebuilt. I want to keep the traditional look so I think I'm going to lean towards a 3 deuce setup from "Hot Rod Carbs" if I can afford it! :D

Something similar to these:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for all the responses everyone. At the end of the day the 302 was MUCH cheaper overall and I can spend a little extra hopping it up and dressing it up.

15. flattopdan

flattopdan

that is definitely a good choice devin. that 3 deuce set up might be a little pricey. thats the only reason i have never done it. you might want to consider selling that c4 to go with an aod also. you will love it on the hiway. im getting 15 to 20 mpg depending on how i drive it. thats the only bad part about the c4 is no overdrive.

16. smarg

smarg

430 Lincoln backed by a toploader 4 speed.

SBF would be to gay.

17. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

18. flattopdan

flattopdan

what a nightmare that would be to put in...:eek:

19. I vote for a Y-Block. They are still affordable, and probably always will be. Even better would be a Y-block with a McCulloch supercharger. Oh yeah. That would look perfect in your ride. I just like the look of the 52 & 53's w/ Y-Blocks since they look so similar to the 54's.

302's are boooooring. One look under the hood and you fall asleep. Then you could really call it a "Sleeper".

20. smarg

smarg

Its only 2 inches wider than a FE.. I'm not sure an FE would even fit. :D

21. Whoops. I waited a little too long to post.
    Good luck with your 302.

22. flattopdan

flattopdan

i just put a 390 in my wifes 55 fairlane and that was stupid tight and a 52 is tighter than that. my buddy was going to put a 351m in his 50 and decided not to cause how much work it would have been to get it in there, well that and a modified is a junk motor also...

23. smarg

smarg

Did you have to cut the side aprons at all?

24. 50ChevyFrank

50ChevyFrank

Great looking car! Such clean lines. Very cool. I also vote for a Y-block.
    Or maybe a 223 OHV inline 6! I don't know what speed-goodies are available for them, but it would be different.

25. flattopdan

flattopdan

nope, just trimmed the control arm towers down about 1/4 inch and she droppe in. and it sits about 1/8th inch from the fire wall on the drivers side. also had to move the radiator to the front of the core support to make room for a fan. other than that it was a really nice swap.

26. flattopdan

flattopdan

you should see it in person, its stunning. i always wanted that car, just glad devin got it. its truly an amazing car..

27. petebert

petebert

28. coolcorvette

coolcorvette

29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My cousin Eddie had a '53 Ford he and his Dad stuck a 312 Y-block in, with a 3 speed stick. Uncle Ed 'hung it high', with the stock front sump pan, but Eddie and I changed it over to a rear sump truck pan & oil pickup, and set it in lower. Everything fit, no problems.
    But Eddie wanted more. We then swung a 352 Police Interceptor, with a T85 heavy duty 3 speed. Engine got mounted high again, as at that time there was no rear sump pan that would fit. (this was in 1959)
    The car was a 'sleeper', a 4-dr. root-beer brown, with brown wheels & poverty hub caps. Rear tires were 7.00X15, so they weren't noticed.
    Won lots of street race $$, "Ten bucks a gear!"
    Eddie graduated, and we pulled out the 352 and put the 312 back in. He got a job in Nevada, and was still driving that old beast clear up to 1990!

30. 1- shot slinger

1- shot slinger

Thanks guys! I know the 302 won't be too exciting, but I just want to get it on the road right now...Later on I'll probably put something more traditional/interesting in it.:cool: