Register now to get rid of these ads!

Electrical Guru's - GM Generator ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DIRTYBIRD, May 25, 2011.

1. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

Does anyone here know the actual internal differences between a 6 volt and 12 volt Generator? Externally they are the same, and internally things "look" the same. Brushes,bearings, bushings all look the same and fit each other. So my question is what's different? The Armature windings and field coil windings? Of cousre i didn't count the turns but they do look and weigh the same. So does anyone on here know?
    The gens in question are a 53 6 volt and a 56 12 volt
    Thanks in advance.

2. im no electrical guru but i think it has something to do with polarity

i know usually something thats 6 volts has thicker (larger diameter) wiring

3. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

the armature has more windings in a 12 volt i believe, however iv always tested my 6 volt generators by putting 12 to em and making em charge 16. The 12 volt ones should test good to 24, at least thats what the old generator rebuilder taught me.

4. patman

patman

5. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Field coil windings have different amp draw, armatures are different also but can usually be used both ways.

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Are you sure you have a 56 GM generator? All the 12V GM generators that I have seen had a very distinctive stepped housing. Chevy, Pont, Olds etc.I don't think the 6V unit looks like this.

7. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Windings will be different, probably both field and armature. My guess is that a 12v generator may be usable in a 6V system, but 6V gen in a 12V system may pull too much current through the field terminal of the 12V regulator.

8. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

Thanks guys, All of this info and links helped. So what I'm actually doing is the opposite of everyone trying to go 12. I want to keep 6v but I recently opened up m 6v because the rear bushing wore pretty good and was rattling. I'm guessing no one ever lubed the Gen so it was dry and ate up the rear bushing. I have a few 12v so I decided i'd swap end caps. When I opened my 6v i saw that some of my connections on the coils were severed. So i was wondering if i could run the 12v which were in great shape in there.

I guess i'll try to repair the coil connections until i can find some coils in better shape.
    Wondering if solder will hold up. Maybe temperature concerns? Maybe crimping them with a butt connector will be better. Unless you guys think I could run the 12v coils without burning up my Regulator and lights.

9. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

Yeah the 12v's do have stepped cases.

10. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

(Are you sure you have a 56 GM generator? All the 12V GM generators that I have seen had a very distinctive stepped housing. Chevy, Pont, Olds etc.I don't think the 6V unit looks like this.[/QUOTE]

Last night when I was tearing apart the gens i was pretty tired.
    So i just checked the gen that was on the car and it has a stepped case too. The car is a 53 Bel-air. So either 6v's are stepped too or the car had a 12v gen on it the whole time. Their is no Delco tag on the supposed 6v gen. Does anyone know about this or have a pic of a stock 6v gen on a 53 Chevy?

So since I've had the car the dash lights have been out. Is it possible that the gen was 12v and everything burned out? I guess checking the headlight switch for a physical failure or light bulbs for burned filaments is on the to do list now. Headlights and Tail lights have worked well the few times it's been driven at night.
    This is my first 6v car so that's why i'm confused.

So currently i pieced together what was good and what fit into the gen that has a Delco 12v tag.
    I just ran the car for about 15 minutes and, I checked V+ everywhere i could on the car. it idles at 8 to 8.5v with the RPM revved up it measures from 9.8v to 10.5v. The regulator seemed a little warm but I never checked how warm it got before all of these discoveries.

Any answers to my questions are greatly appreciated.

I want to get this sorted out before i drive it to Santa Maria Friday night. Luckily it's only a half hour away in case i have electrical problems while there.

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

You might try a Google search. I just rebuilt my 56 Ford generator. I got a rebuild kit from Ebay. My field windings were fine but I'm sure if you look hard enough you can scare up a set. I needed to get an armature and it was readily available.

I'm not big on crimp butt connectors anywhere on a car and even less inside a generator.

12. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

Yeah Tommy good idea, I haven't even begun a search for parts to buy yet....I figured i would talk to some of my local Lowrider Bomb guys. They always convert from 6 to 12v I'm sure they have Gens for me to gut.

I'm not big on crimps either was just wondering if solder would hold up inside the gen, I don't know how warm it gets in there. I guess i could just use a higher temp solder. Don't have to worry about in now since i think it's a 12 volt anyways.

13. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

Just cruised around on Ebay and found that Gens after the mid forties all seem to be stepped cases for Chevy. Cruiserjohn76 told me that 6v gens have black Delco tags and 12v's have red tags.
    Thanks
    Keep the info coming I'll keep soaking it up!