Register now to get rid of these ads!

History great old pics!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RatBone, May 25, 2011.

1. RatBone

RatBone

found these old pics from a blog about where I grew up in Minot ND
    pretty cool thought you might like to see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I wish I could go back in time, thanks for sharing!

3. RatBone

RatBone

4. Thanks. I'm old enough I can remember scenes like those in everyday life. It's good to look back.

5. dirtydixon

dirtydixon

Things were built to last, had style and detail.
    man a time when new cars were cool.

6. I didn't know Piggly Wiggly went as far north as North Dakota.

Great pics!

7. RatBone

RatBone

Ya I remember pigglys in sheridan wy and minot!

8. Rem

Rem

Great photos, thanks, especially that hotel during construction and finshed. What's a Piggly Wiggly's? :)

9. RatBone

RatBone

food store like vons or safeway!

10. I thought they were only in the south.

http://www.pigglywiggly.com/

11. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I have Minot pics...taken in person while stationed there in the USAF. My hotel pic shows much newer cars of course, and my shot down main street shows the front of my 58 Vette at the curb. Ellisons - clothing store - I had a charge account there. Great city during the summer...real serious winters. We flew choppers (H-19s and H-43Bs) out to the missile sites ferrying Boeing engineers and AP guards back and forth. I remember Minot fondly...even have some pics of the 'christmas tree' where the B-52s sat ready to go. Left there driving a C-119 to Fairchild AFB.

dj

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

cool stuff. I really like to see photos of the insides of new car dealerships as I collect that stuff for 49-54 Chevys.

everything was much cooler back then. everything is plastic throw away shit now.

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

My son is there as we speak.

14. Hooray!
    A new "Vintage Shots of Days Gone By" thread !

15. terryble

terryble
    from canada

I clearly remember my first trip to Minot. I went with my dad to some conference for road builders that was being held in Minot, it would be the late fall of 1961 and we went in his new 1962 Pontiac Strato Chief (Canadian). It was the first time for me crossing THE border. Minot was an absolute wonder and I recognize some of the buildings. The next time was in about 1972 and I was riding my 1967 Harley Dresser and it developed a very disconserting knock, pulled into a Texaco to ask if there was a Harley dealer in Minot, Guy who worked there Tom Carson, I think told me there was no dealer but he rode a Harley and he knew what was wrong with mine, sent me to his house and phoned his wife Kathy to say we were on our way and take care of us til he got there after work (several hours later). When he arrived he said we would be staying for supper and set to work fixing my bike, it was a loose compensater sprocket, he had the tools and the talent fixed it in no time and had us stay overnight so we could have an early start in the morning. We wrote back and forth for a short while but likes so many things lost touch. I will never forget him or his families kindness. I was in Minot coming back from Sturgis a couple years ago, took that route just for nostalgia, downtown is dead and an edge of town WalMart has changed the dynamics of this once beautiful city. Ain't progress wonderful!

16. terryble

terryble
    from canada

I clearly remember my first trip to Minot. I went with my dad to some conference for road builders that was being held in Minot, it would be the late fall of 1961 and we went in his new 1962 Pontiac Strato Chief (Canadian). It was the first time for me crossing THE border. Minot was an absolute wonder and I recognize some of the buildings. The next time was in about 1972 and I was riding my 1967 Harley Dresser and it developed a very disconserting knock, pulled into a Texaco to ask if there was a Harley dealer in Minot, Guy who worked there Tom Carson, I think told me there was no dealer but he rode a Harley and he knew what was wrong with mine, sent me to his house and phoned his wife Kathy to say we were on our way and take care of us til he got there after work (several hours later). When he arrived he said we would be staying for supper and set to work fixing my bike, it was a loose compensater sprocket, he had the tools and the talent fixed it in no time and had us stay overnight so we could have an early start in the morning. We wrote back and forth for a short while but likes so many things lost touch. I will never forget him or his families kindness. I was in Minot coming back from Sturgis a couple years ago, took that route just for nostalgia, downtown is dead and an edge of town WalMart has changed the dynamics of this once beautiful city. Ain't progress wonderful!

17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Boy, you can say THAT again, Terry! Oops...looks like ya did.

18. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Yeh, sorry about that, but any good story is worth telling twice!

19. skoh73

skoh73

Piggly Wiggly was the worlds first self-service grocery store, founded in 1916 in Memphis. There are two right by me.

Oh yeah, great pics- thanks!

20. RatBone

RatBone

found another cool one!
    [​IMG]

21. RatBone

RatBone

some more from Minot!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]