Register now to get rid of these ads!

1958 Suburban with a twist..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dyna, Apr 15, 2011.

1. RichG

RichG

Beautiful work, you're gonna have an excellent truck when done.

Subscribed.

2. Kinghat

Kinghat

very impressive!

3. DavidL

DavidL

Impressive. Was one of those tents your paint booth?

4. Dyna

Dyna
    from London

Hi Folks,

Thanks so you so much for your kind words! The tent is a necessary evil, English garages are silly small so I got my self a high quality 40'x14' tent and put it in the back garden. To stop moist coming up I covered the ground with a heavy duty tarp, then I covered that with 1/2" hardboard (MDF/Masonite). It's far from perfect but you can relatively easy sweep the floor, roll around the welder, the jack and so on.

Put some real light in it too and then I made a "real" door so I actually can walk in and out. In the beginning I had a tent door and it was a real PITA. All in all I can recommend it. It makes for a good temporary garage so you can paint and weld, but in the long run you will get frustrated since you can't for example lean anything against the walls without risking it to be blown down since the wall is moving in the wind ;)..

Cheers Dyna

5. Dyna

Dyna
    from London

Hi Folks

Time for an update again, I’m a little late with it, so the last pics are actually about two weeks old. I had to stick in between with some car house keeping. I also have to say it’s been pretty tedious work with the color sanding of the rest of the body, followed by engine install and front end assembly. I’ve probably not taken as many pics as I should have; sometimes you get carried way and just work.

There is also some sad news; I will sell this one when we are finished. Moving and there is no space for the Burb, beside it has to finance some of the move. Don’t ask me why moving but the phrase “Anally retentive local British government official’s assassination of car enthusiast’s hobby activities” would ring somewhat true to the reason.

Anyways after color sanding and polishing the roof it was time for the interior to receive the treatment.

[​IMG]

Then it was the outside starting at the top going down

[​IMG]

Here is the passenger qpanel at various stages of sanding

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did a test polish to get some inspiration (this is just a first fast cut with wool mop, not subsequent with fine cut and anti swirl).

On to the rear doors

[​IMG]

And then the rest of the car until everything was color sanded. Then it was time for buffing work. To be honest I don’t know at what stage the pics below are taken but I think they look good :).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to get the running gear in there; this my test engine and I will most likely change it later. It all depends on what happens when talking with prospective buyers.

[​IMG]

Anyways after fixing things such as the steering rack it was time to get the front sheet metal assembled. But first a look at the new wheels :), got to say I really like the looks of the American Racings wheels with the whitewalls, the grey center is also something that later comes back in the interior color of the Burb.

[​IMG]

Here is the full pi of the front panels it’s buffed already here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ah yes got the chrome back, it’s nice when it’s the original stuff that has been chromed. Anyways some further pics of the front end..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It should be noted this is single stage solid paint and not base and clear coat, if it was the shine would been even deeper

On to the hood, sand and polish here too,

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  6. Dyna

Dyna
    from London

[​IMG]

Think the GM std under hood black primer looks really great when contrasting the yellow paint. (It’s not primer of course but two component polyurethane acrylic with matting agent to get the right egg shell look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So it’s pretty much assembled on the outside now, well it’s not 100% adjusted and there are still paint imperfections (nicks etc) to fix but I will do that at the very end you never know when you drop a wrench on something. But I thought it would be time for some sort of picture cavalcade to show it all off:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rear end ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Dyna

Dyna
    from London

Passenger side Qpanel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interior:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The seat is temporarily mounted here so we could take “fake” pics of how the fabrics will look like. It’s the original seat and I’ve not done anything to it yet (it’s what I’m currently dealing with).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fake Fake Fake

This is composite pictures and it just to give you an hint of how the interior will look. It’s doesn’t look that good since fabric is just draped over making the perspective all wrong and sometimes the tone of the color since I blocked light between takes. Anyways here they are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fabrics are very lovely, it’s brocade for the seating and linen for the sides and door panels. It’s very thick and expensive fabric I managed to buy surplus otherwise it would cost an arm and a leg.

Here are a few pics of the fabric in better light:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Dyna

Dyna
    from London

hehe time to get the hood up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really like that you can’t really see the Jag front end it’s all pretty stealthy. The big air cleaner effectively hide the Holley projection fuel injection and the stock painted Edelbrock performer intake :).

As you can see it’s all (99%) stock factory correct bolts. I know it might not matter to much on a hot rod but the original bolts make it look more authentic and there by adding to the feeling is this original or not feeling. Yes of course we will change the oil filler cap it’s dented!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Dyna

Dyna
    from London

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> Got some detail pics too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hmm think that’s it for now so it’s back to the dungeon finishing it all up..

Cheers Dyna

10. reece

reece
    from NC

I don't know how I missed this thread, WOW! Nice work and great color.

11. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Simply Suburb...
    Thanks for posting..
    Cheers.....

12. Racrdad

Racrdad

Stunning!! Excellent color choice, cant wait to see the interior finished also. The fabrics are very classy looking.

13. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

14. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I was wondering how this was coming. Just beautiful!

15. Absolutely beautiful! I love the color and all the detail! If I could afford it I would buy it in a heartbeat. The only thing I would do differently would have been a "hot rod" look to the engine. Great work and a crying shame you have to sell it.:(

16. Dyna

Dyna
    from London

Hi RustyDusty

Great screen name by the way, will most likely hot rod that engine internally. I decided to go a bit stock on the outside, need that big air cleaner to hide the Projection. I simply wanted EFI since it allows for a set and forget and no choke, but its everything but good looking. Still thinking of a pair of nice valve covers, but it got to look fifties or sixties. That way you don't ruin that look of yesteryear... any ideas?

Cheers Dyna

17. Just Jarrod

Just Jarrod

18. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

simply amazing craftsmanship, how did i miss this thread before? impressed is an understatement. i cant wait to see the finished product.

19. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

You are one thorough son of a gun!

20. SHORTDOG

SHORTDOG

What happened? I seen this for sale on ebay....but it wasn't finished! I was hoping to see you rolling in it when it was all done.

21. agutto13

agutto13

22. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Looking good. You are doing a great job.

I had a 57 Chevy Panel truck when I first started my sign company, then some years later a 58 Chevy Suburban. Always will have a soft spot for these old trucks. I met my wife while out on a job painting signs out of the 57 Panel truck. Good times.

23. lukey

lukey

Has to be the coolest burb ive ever seen!

24. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

I can dig it, been a few months..... anything new?

25. Cool burban! Keep it up. Doesn't the can of coke drive you nuts on the new paint?!

26. mad-cad

mad-cad

All those hours of prepping and paint are paying off, looks great.

27. onedge

onedge

Me too Outside yet?

28. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

any updates ?

29. Wow! Not sure how I missed this before but you are doing an incredible job.