Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage OK, TX, KS guys a heads up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, May 24, 2011.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Just a heads up. Not trying to alarm anyone but, I just got off the phone with a friend of the family that is a meteorologist down at NOAA in Norman,OK.

He is suggesting that we all get a bug out bag together. These weather conditions have only happened 4 previous times in history, the outcome has never been favorable. The center of this storm appears to be around the Oklahoma City metro.

I realize this is off topic, but I don't want to read about losing any more hambers or extended family.

I don't normally worry, but if the weather men are scared, we better pay attention. Watch the news and make sure your kids are sticking around close.

2. Good advice. Only time I've been more fearful of the weather was working salmon boats up in AK.

3. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the heads up.... I went to high school in Slackerville, Ok.? Small world....

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  4. Stay safe guys

5. split51

split51
    from guthrie ok

Thanks Root, I figured the weather was going to get bad today as warm and humid as it is.

6. I've never heard the term "bug out bag" before. What exactly is it?

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

Sorry...it's a bag with all of your important stuff. Stuff you may need in an emergency. Pistol, birth certificates, deed to your house, digital pics of all of your belongings, insurance policies etc.

It's in case you need to "bug out".

8. SlowandLow51

SlowandLow51

He is saying get a a suitcase packed in the event they need to leave or "Bug Out".

9. Frank

Frank

It never even crossed my mind about gathering such things in one place before. Good advice.

10. Thanks for the answers ... I was thinking the storms were creating perfect breeding conditions for mosquitoes (lots of rain) and with the storms coming, leaving town and camping out somewhere might be necessary. So, with the expectation of tons of mosquitoes etc a "bug out" bag had something to do with packing lots or repellant, head nets, etc. Guess I was WAY off ...

Sure hope your meteorologist bud is wrong this time ...

11. Abomb

Abomb

I've lived in Western KS my whole life, and my wife survived the huge Wichita Falls TX tornado as a kid....we put together a storm kit every spring, water / radio / flashlights / important papers into the basement, etc....

never a boy scout, but we still try to be prepared.....

12. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Root, I spoke with my brother John in Neosho today at noon. Phone service has been spotty since the storm hit Joplin Sunday eve. He said that large clouds were forming and that the humidity is climbing. He was concerned and feels that this will be a bad night. Thanks for the advise. We will get the storms a couple hours after the Joplin area. All, please be smart and pay attention. Root, thanks for the heads up. Sam

13. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Thanks man for the heads-up. I have called around to give some of my family members through out Kansas a "heads-up".......We went from hot & humid today to in the 50's today to warm and humid again today outside. This weather is CRAZY.

For those here in the mid-west reading this......don't forget to have your cell phones charged in case you have to 'text' someone.

This is from Joplin and underneath that 2x4 on the right side of the screen shot is a 'tanning bed' that a VERY good friend of mines wife and teenage daughter were taking cover in thru the storm and they were tossed 2 lots away. My friend found them battered and bruised.....but, alive.

Chris

Attached Files:

14. belair

belair

We're a long way from the storms, but I have a nice, clean, furnished and empty house some can use if needed.

15. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

Yeah this weather is ridiculous and needs to stop even here in STL its been getting pretty bad and we had an EF4 just about a month ago with nowhere near the damage of the Joplin one!

16. troy5118

troy5118
    from Haven Ks

It's starting to blow up on the radar..

17. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

I have a Safe room but they worry me. Everyone PLEASE stay safe. Scary forecast indeed!!!

18. yblock292

yblock292

yes thank you, been watching all day, got all the cars and my daily put away, starting to look nasty towards the south..............shit! This is crazy.

19. yblock292

yblock292

You guys be safe!

20. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

Tornado on the ground in Oklahoma now - Longdale area

21. jb39chev

jb39chev
    from Conroe,TX.

Be Safe all!!!
    I will second belair's offer-- I have an empty house available if any of you need it.

22. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Hope everyone gets through this okay.

Over here in West Texas, all we have is really bad wind. Wildfire in Lake Tanglewood that our fine firefighters are working on.. Other than that, clear blue skies. But I'll be keeping an eye out.

Nonetheless, everyone be safe.

iPhone - TJJ App

23. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Channel 6 out of Tulsa has a great radar picture. You can customize it to see quite a bit of interesting things as far as the weather is concerned. This storm set is NASTY looking, and we've just had 3 tornado warnings over in that direction.

Buckle down, hang on, and good luck to all of you (or us as it may be) as we ride through these storms tonight and any night in the future.

http://www.newson6.com/category/158741/warn-interactive-live-radar?redirected=true

24. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

As of 4:13pm.... From Fox 23 in Tulsa. About 130 miles west of Hwy 75 and Tulsa area.

MASSIVE TORNADO ON GROUND ON I-40 JUST WEST OF EL RENO. FOX 23 Meteorologist Andrew Kozak says OHP has closed I-40 in El Reno.

25. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yep, just went north of us........gonna be a long night.

26. Sprout

Sprout

everyone stay safe

27. kustomd

kustomd

I'm watching the weather channel now anyone near mustang, Ok and el reno get the heck out of there deadly tornados. Be safe.

28. d.reese

d.reese
    BANNED

One been on the ground on OK. for at least 30 min and headed for OKC!

29. Roothawg

Roothawg

We're in Mustang and it passed over us. Sounding the alarms here now...

30. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

They've got one on radar that is so big they can see the 'debris ball' now. It's massive. Ya'll hang on tight!