Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wyotech school

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mattyflathead, May 24, 2011.

1. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

I went there wouldn't trade my time there for anything...there's a lot to be learned but you have to keep your nose to the grind stone and buckle down the kids that do that really learn something....but you can't expect to be a pro when you leave you're still going to start at the bottom....i did very well though was at the top of the class for the two years I was there...I went onto take other metal fab classes after and went to school to get an associates in welding technology when it was all said and done I spent $180,000 to get a $14 per hour job but I'm okay with that as I enjoy what I do I get up every day and work on old tin I have other supplements to my income that keep me playing with cars as well(I own a patent not dealing drugs) but I'm also anplumber/pipefitter and can make a call and be making $60 an hour tomorrow...wyotech used to be quality but they got greedy and went in the crapper same as uri and the rest...I'd tell him to try and apprentice some place...if he really wants to go to school Pennsylvania college of technology has a great autobody program and they do some stuff with the saga to restore cars for the museum

2. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Hey! I KNOW THAT GUY!!

Some of the instructors were A+ and really taught the stuff. The people you meet aren't half bad either.;)

But like I said, if I were to spend the money again, I would spend it on learning something I don't mind doing for other people.

3. I know of three Wyotech graduates that are doing well in the industry and tried hard at Wyotech. It all depends on the individual, just because you went to Wyotech does not make you a slacker.

I am doing alright, at the moment I am working minimum wage at an autoparts store. I don't really enjoy it, but it is what it is.

The people at HRI are beyond nice, I had a little car trouble in South Dakota when passing through to California. While I was checking the schoo out they told me to bring my '56 in the shop. They then called Joe Coursey. It was his day off, and he was about an houre and a half away on his bike with a buddy. Needless to say he turned right around and was on his way back. I was with my mother and they said she could go to the strip mall across the street. Then Kyle Harder let me use the power hammer, and I have never touched one before, and had no experience. Needless to say I was learning already and I wasn't even enrolled.

Then Mr. Coursey pulled up and popped the hood of my '56. He then went over and gathered the tools he needed. After about 45 minutes to an hour we had the '56 running better than it ever had EVER! It turned out to be a brocken "o"-ring in the carb that was causing the car to flood. He also changed the gas on my points, tuned my carb (better than it ever had before), and set my timing. He also showed me and taught me what he was doing along the way, so I would know for next time.

If they ever get accredited and can accept foreign students I am probably going to go even if it is for one course. The people are so nice, and full of life there.

It is a great school, I also think Wyotech is a great school as well, a lot of the instructors are nice, but the admissions people screwed everything up for me. I flew halfway around the world and they never bothered to get anything right after that, Kyle Harder of HRI on the other hand, is always keeping me updated on when the school will be accredited, he is very well organized and actually gives a shit about me.

I would not hesitate to go to HRI top notch staff, tools, projects, etc.

4. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

5. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

X2 it's a combo of both you need good students and good instructors...you have to be willing to put forth 200% there...I'd say 98% of the students don't do that it's sad really but what are you going to do

6. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Of course it doesn't mean everyone is a slacker...

That's why I said it depends on the individual. Our current Wyotech grad busts his ass every single day. You know 3 out of thousands that are doing well... out of how many thousand that they have graduated? They are obviously talented and hard working. For us 3 out of 12 were worth keeping past their probationary period. One guy we sent home after the first day. That doesn't count the ones we DIDN'T hire. The majority felt they were OWED a job just because they went to Wyotech.

The original question was for grads of Wyotech but as a business owner and potential employer, that is our experience with them. Want to know how many conversations over beers we've had with other shop owners who think the exact same thing? I couldn't begin to count them...

Exactly. And from a Wyotech grad...

Note I never said we would never hire another Wyotech grad. That 2% is what we look for because that other 98% hasn't worked out for us.

7. Joey7319

Joey7319

When I was in my early 20s I nearly went to MMI to learn to work on Harleys, but happend to meet a guy who had gone and owned a local shop. He took me under his wing for free labor and taught me a lot and even loaned me his books from when he went. I changed my mind about going and saved my self about 24k. They really rush through the material, he said they spent 3 days on the evo motor and that was it. He later hired an MMI grad and the guy didnt know shit and was always asking me what to do. So I would say to just keep knocking doors at shops till somebody gives you a chance to come in and learn. the pay maybe low, but as skills are learned the pay will go up, and then your not starting out in debt.

8. SOLID9

SOLID9
    from EuroTrip!

Yup we'er all just a bunch of worms wiggling through the dirt, trying to get to the top.... going to school, any school at that... isn't your meal ticket to get into the buisness. Like stated many times, it's all about the person, their work, and aditude. Ya gotta prove yourself one way or another, and neither way is easy. Ya cant get discouraged or give up if ya really want it. Ya REALLY have to have to a passion for it and keep trying, if that dont work, TRY HARDER! It'll come around sooner or later if ya gain the skills needed. To some people that comes easier than others, and for some people it's just not ment to be no matter how much they love it.

9. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

I sorta missed my education incouldnt get along with the family member who was trying to teach me...then eventually I went to wyotech....needless to say if I woulda paid attention to my family I woulda saved money and had a business to show for it...when I finAlly went to work in a shop I didn't know shit...I knew the basics but it's still a learning experience after 2 years of being in a shop

10. drag_punk

drag_punk

I live in Laramie and work at an auto parts store so I deal with Wyotech students all day. Most these kids come up here to party, screw high school girls and got their head up there ass. Unless you have a good knowledge base before coming to Wyotech I don't think most 18 year olds will get a lot out of it. You have to be serious, not influenced by your peers, and ready to work. Unfortunately I think most parents end up blowing there money because their kids aren't devoted enough. Good luck to you and your family!

11. You have asked for feedback from anyone who has actually attended Wyotech.

I have not attended but have good firsthand knowledge of some kids who have.

My son and three of his best high school buddies wanted to go to Blairsville after graduation. All four attended a 2 year high school vo-tech program their junior and senior years in high school. All four were pretty equally tallented at the time. One of the four went and listened to their sales pitch by the Wyotech recruiter.
    After listening closely and questioning the recruiter good, I saw no benefit to sending my son there. I could clearly see that the program was set up to cover a vast amount of subjects with each being just long enough to wet your appietite.

We live in Indy, my son was still living at home. I told him to seek out the automotive trade he was interested in and go visit one of the local shops and inquire about a job. Tell them he would work for them for free for 6 months just to gain the experience. He asked me why in the hell would I suggest something like that? I told him that while still living at home, his expenses would be nill and the shop owner would more than likely pay him something if he showed good interest and became proficient in what he was doing. Besides, it would give him a chance to work awhile in that field without investing the money in the education upfront to only find out you do not enjoy that line of work.

The one friend of my sons' drank the kool-aid and signed up for thier program in Blairsville. The 29,500 is just the tip of the iceburg. The local Snap On tool guy there will easily get them for another 30 grand before they graduate. (You know with the peer pressure and all, gotta have the big tool box, then fill it with tools, blah, blah, blah,). Talk about how they discount the tools (50% off Wyotech only discount) when the tool are already marked up 250%.

My sons' friend was in the upper end of his class. The school tends to pump the graduates up telling them how much they are worth per hour in this industry. The kid came home with an extreme amount of debt and wound up going back to work in the same shop he was working at, for the same money as before he went to school.

Money on an education in this field would be much better spent on a good business degree. Then later on, specialized classes in the particular field of interest.

For the most part, shops dont really care about how much school you have had. They are more interested in what you can do. Most will pay you accordingly based on that premise.

PM me and I will be glad to supply you with the contact info for my sons friend who attended Wyotech. You can then speak with him directly.

12. I went to a local trade school for auto body repair. It taught me a lot for little money. I had a lot of hands on work to go along with it. Schools like Wyo and UTI havent been much interest to me.

13. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If your kid wants to be wrench turner, go here and become and MET. Damn hard work, but worth every penny. There are a few grads on here.

http://www.csum.edu/web/mycampus/home

conversely there are academies in Mass, Maine and NY. The federal academy is also in NY.

To beat the dead horse of "kids these days"...just cant not understand how special an Engineering degree is. Everywhere you looks engineers are in demand. If you want to go over seas almost every country in the world will grant work visas for engineers.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  14. I have to agree with you on the business degree, I have spoken with many shop owners and they all have told me that if they could go back they would have done some business stuff.

15. SecretAgent

SecretAgent

I didn't go to wyotech. But I am a graduate from UTI. The curriculum is about the same and so is the tuition. When I graduated in 04 the only jobs I could get were for $8/hr. Same entry level jobs that HS kids were getting in the shops. I had several years of mechanic experience before going to school and I did learn a lot while I was there. Would I do it again? Definitely not. I would take classes at my local junior college if anything while working a parts counter or apprenticing at a shop. I graduated 6 years ago and just paid off my loans last month.

16. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

I typed a whole big thing and realized it was stupid.

School is school, you get out what you put in. If you go to clown college and want to be the best clown the world has ever seen and work hard at it, you will be the best clown.

17. I went to cerritos community college and got my AA in automotive tech as well as a general technician certificate, in 3 years (it really was 2 but i was working on my transfer credits). plus, via the program they have there with the automakers you work at the dealerships with another technicain while you go to school....and they pay you. i was getting 9 per hour which was pretty sweet for a guy with hardly any experience. and not even counting the pay, i paid less than the 29,000 and got some of the best education ever. would i do it again? totally. in fact im going back there in a few years to take paint and body, and machining courses. now as far as the UTI and Wyotech schools are concerned, the only grads from there that were working at the dealership...were washing cars. just sayin. if you really want the bang for your buck, go to a community college.:D

18. SOLID9

SOLID9
    from EuroTrip!

Yeah but buisness with family usually doesn't go too well... been there done that. But it's always a learning curve especially for the young guys such as us... (can I say that?) But ya gotta keep learning and be accepting of the fact that you dont know everything. In other words listen to your elders and dont strut your shit. The worst is going from one shop to the next and they do things completely differently. I've worked at a fab shop we're my boss really appreciated my work, we got along great, he gave me the prints, and let me go to town. I was spoiled rotten at 19 haha then I worked at another after that and they told me to do a shit job just to get it done fast and cheap. No need to explain why I split that scene...

Drag punk!

Which parts store do you work at? I mighta visited you in the past :D And the parties sure are great! I can vouch for that :D If you can meet some locals and get along with them, man are they some nice people.

One more thing to add to my ranting and to get back on topic.... going to school such as tech, it will send you places. I'm saying you should be going there if you're wanting or willing to move somewhere. If you live in Po Dunk, MI and plan on going back then it's more than likely a bad choice in that matter as well.

19. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

The other thing to consider about a regimen at a local CC is they will encourage you to add other classes, such as technical writing, physics, hydraulics, philosophy (won't meet many girls in welding 201) etc... This will make you a more rounded individual, and when you understand why something was done you can solve issues far easier.

20. Sprout

Sprout

I graduated in 01, great experience but I really dont think it was worth it. I was fifth in my class so I was there to learn and I did, but now I'm in aircraft. I have many friends that I graduated with and graduated years after me, and everyone of them is not in the automotive field. You might want to check out Hot Rod Instiute same instructor that I had at Wyo tech, great teacher. PM me with any ?'s

21. zArlen

zArlen

^ that is very similar to what the guys at work have seen before I started as an apprentice.

Kid from wyotech came in and thought he was a hot shot, and in the end he did more harm than good from what I've been told. Not saying that every graduate from the school is like that. I know that I looked into it at one point and wasn't very impressed after researching it.

22. G'day, I know a couple of young fellows that are Wyotech graduates. They both went there with the attitude that they wanted to learn. I would trust either one of them with any of my vehicles (and have). They both are great auto technicians and both speak highly of wyotech.

It all comes down to if the student wants to learn. I also taught a couple of years at the local tech college. It was amazing how many of the students did "not" want to learn and just thought they were owed a free pass and a job afterwards. Some of them could not pass the classes much less be productive in a shop.

ms

23. Rattaxi48

Rattaxi48
    from ohio

i went to wyotech in pa. worked my ass off learned as much as i could all to end up with a shit load of money to be owed and turned away from shops because of going to wyotech wouldnt go but thats my 2 cents

24. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

My kid won a full ride to Wyotech thru SkillsUSA, and turned it down to go to a community college in Iowa. Smaller classes, more diversity, slowed down when you needed to learn it better.

I hired a few of the Wyotech grads at a dealership I was service manager at, and they weren't ready for the world when I met them. I hired them because they seemed like good kids.

I always asked every tech applicant the same question "2000 Honda Accord (Chevy, Ford, Mopar, doesn't matter), with the check engine light on, what are you going to do first?" It was either a blank stare, or they said they didn't know about check engine lights yet. This was after 9-12 months "studying and learning" at Wyotech...

It is enough of a shock to leave home as an 18-20 year old, and go to a school in the middle of nowhere (Laramie, WY), trying to absorb all this schooling and knowledge in a short time, while you are also trying to grow up...

We looked at McPherson College, and my son was interested, but it was too far away for him (500+ miles from hometown)

He has since graduated from community college not only at the top of his class, but at the top of his school, academically.

He took a job in a small shop that works on everything that moves, (tractors, lawnmowers, trucks, cars, diesels, etc) and they also do full on hot rods and restorations.

He has experienced more in the past year than his Wyotech buddies he used to work with at the dealership have in their lifetime.

Wyotech is probably a good school, but it is all about the student, in my eyes.

If he excelled in high school, he will probably excel in college, wherever he goes.

If he struggled in high school, he should probably go to a smaller program.

25. Hoodlum Rocky

Hoodlum Rocky

I went there in wyoming and graduated in 88, for the auto body course. It was around 9000.00 for 6 months. When i went it was one class per day. A few years after i graduated they decided to go diffrent shifts. I talked to some guys that went and you spent a hour 1/2 just shifting stuff around for the next class to begin. The quaility for the teaching went down and the profit and money went up.
    I started working for a big fast paced collision shop after school and the owner said he never had anyone come out of school and do what i did. He said i wasent as fast as his journey men but a fixed a hard hit and got it done. I was #2 in my class though. I seen kids going to school that did not care and some that had no skills. You can hace the best education but if you have no skill or common sence it does not matter. I worked with guys that were body men for 30 plus years and still sucked.
    I had my own shop for many years and still doing lots of kustom work on the side so i always say anytime you can learn a trade you wont hurt your self. Wyo tech just might not be the best choice now a days.

26. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

Well I'm not going to get into family details but I didn't think I was a hot shot or anything we just didn't get along....the family member in question was difficult to deal with...while the shop was great and he worked on impressive stuff(duesenburgs, cord, auburns, rolls Royce, etc) it wasn't the environment to teach in I screw up one thing it cost us $10,000...since going to school he has shut down shop and focused on his own restorations and trad hot rod projects. It's cool to learn from him now...every chance I get I go out there....it's wild to see a duesenburg hanging in the rafters of a barn...but that being said the smartest thing I ever did was while in college in Montana I worked for ray burnie detailing cars and he took me under his wing and showed me stuff and paid me good for it too...he has since passed on but best education i ever got...not many guys well teach you to weld on high dollar projects...I'd go to a good community college and Do a dual major in welding and auto body/auto tech and take one of macphersons summer classes on vintage engines

27. 34 Plymouth Hemi

34 Plymouth Hemi

My 16 year old son, a high school jr, is currently going to the local BOCES Auto Tech program here in NY. The instructors have nothing good to say about Wyotech. Their suggestion is that it's better to go to a regular college. There are some very good Community colleges that specialize in Auto Tech degree programs, and the concensus was that the programs were much better. There are also some 4 year schools that specialize in Automotive Degrees.

Bob

28. Willy301

Willy301

Might check out UTI in Lima Ohio, Lesser known than Wyotech, but alot better reputation. At least worth a looksee and price them out accordingly.

29. Cshabang

Cshabang

Ive been there, graduated and had a job offer shortly after I graduated in the hot rod industry. As stated, it seems the "bad eggs" have ruined it for the good ones, and now it seems we have to prove ourselves a bit more. I went there at 24 with prior automotive and machining background, as well as fabrication background. I went there focused and treating it as my full time job. Ive since left the hot rod industry as a profession, but am still doing side work and am too busy for my own good. I also am working as a fabricator using the skills I refined at the school. Is it for everyone, no, is it expensive, yes, but what schooling isnt. Im not gonna bad mouth the school as it worked for me....I can honestly say I wouldnt be where I am without going there.

30. 58Darlene

58Darlene

I went to the Laramie campus. It had just switched hands to a parent company and they were all about the money. There were about 90 kids to 4 teachers. If you wanna learn something, you have to be super dedicated. Get in good with a teacher and they can teach you a lot. Keep away from the parties and focus.