Register now to get rid of these ads!

Machine Shop Boo Boo/Tell Me What Is Fair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oldmics, May 23, 2011.

1. From a business owners stand point that sounds Very far.

2. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I'd have him replace it and pay the cost of machining as you were going to do in the first place. If you don't mind being down to two cranks, maybe he can do your machining on the block and crank and give you replacement value off your bill.

3. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

Sounds fair to me Oldmics.

4. alchemy

alchemy

Look at the crack. Can you see where an existing crack propogated from? If yes, then forget it and tell him no harm done. If no previous crack tracks, thank him for replacing the crank.

5. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

Machine shop should pay for it. They also should have insurance to cover such accidents as well.

In any event, he will be liable once it gets to Small Claims Court.

Good luck.

6. old_dan

old_dan

I have trouble believing that a good crank broke in two just from falling over. Take a look at the fracture under a microscope. If there are striations in the break and some are rusty and some are clean then it was an old break. Give your machinist another one of your cores & see if he cuts you a break on machining.

Dan

7. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

What he said! first off I don't know that I would want a crank that snapped just from falling in my motor, he may have done you a favor, see if you can find a good crank and let him take something off your tab

8. rusty28a

rusty28a

Our shop would replace the crank or make good with a credit toward parts or machine work. Other shops won't. Avoid the "other" shops. Not sure if your old cranks was good or not but it sure sounds like your machinist is good. Best regards.

9. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Yup sure enough I had missed a post, thank god you caught that hate to think what might have happend:rolleyes:

10. jjsound

jjsound

Talk it out, give him all the machine work on that project. Sounds like a decent guy. I bet he appreciates a level-headed response and the bill may reflect that.

11. 61 chevy

61 chevy

what about the customer that did it, he should pay up also, or did he hawl ass and hide?????

12. metalshapes

metalshapes

Thats what I'm thinking.

If it was already cracked, it should be visible in the surface of the break.

13. kendall66

kendall66
    from iowa

i have seen good A36 flame cut plate split in half after dropping to the floor and good 1045 bar stock have pockets visable after milling, i have seen new drill bits roll off a counter top and hit the floor and snap in two. the casting was probably bad, castings can be full of vains that cant see untill you drill or machine into the material........all and all......a good shop machinist should cover it, shit happens.....

14. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

your thinken what im thinken.;)

15. Oldmics,
    I'm a bit west of B'more. To avoid some future problems, it not the shop name, how about a location?
    Thanks,
    RB

16. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

LOLOLOLOL dont you hate that. Now dont let that happen again. You will have the HAMB cops come out of the wood work.:D

17. kendall66

kendall66
    from iowa

RB35......give it a break, the shop didnt break the casting and...... the guy said he would make it right......shit happens, i dont care where you go to have machining done, steel, cast iron, pot metal....what ever, i have been milling, drilling and turning steel for over 25 years and you never know what your going to get into until you start the cut.

18. 34 Plymouth Hemi

34 Plymouth Hemi

He definitely owes you a crank!!!
    But it sounds like he knows that!

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  19. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I'd be going after the customer who knocked it over.

Kinda like an antique store...you break it, you pay for it.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

One of the first things I learned when I started to work in a
    engine shop in '63 was that Y-block cranks were fragile and were
    easy to break by just falling over. We stored all other cranks
    standing on the flange end, to save space in the shop, but we
    always laid the Y-block cranks down on their side.
    I was shocked to hear that a big solid looking hunk of cast iron
    like that could break by just falling over from standing on end
    but it's true!
    Since working in the machine shop when I was young, I went
    to college and studied some business law. The legal answer is:
    ...when you dropped off your crank at the machine shop a
    "bailment"(legal term) was created.Wikipedia will explain.
    You are the "bailor" and he is the "bailee"
    When he took possession of it in one piece it became his and
    only his responsibility to preserve it's condition for you.
    He owes you a crank without question...tell him to ask a lawyer.
    If he didn't know they would break easily,you need another
    machinist!

21. RichG

RichG

Have the crank checked, if it was already cracked and the drop just ended the deal, then let it go, you would have been out a crank anyhow~having him replace a defective piece with a good one wouldn't be cool. If the crank somehow broke fresh (with no previously existing crack), tell him to just get you a good finished 312 crank and call it a day.

I'm betting, from what you've told us, that he will replace the crank whether the one that broke was bad or not... how you handle it shows if you're as good as he is. As far as monetary value, that's a hard one for the same reasons I already said.

22. Does anyone who sells finishes rebuilt cranks list a core charge? That sounds like a fair market value to me. Assuming someone does that still with something that old...

23. You need to get a 292 truck crank.......forged

24. I told you what I think over on the y-block site, Y cranks are brittle but wont break by just falling over. Was this a std. crank? Did it have a square fillit or a radius? A good std. cast Y crank with a radius will handle 500+ HP, tipping it shouldn't break it (droping it from 5' is a different story) unless something is wrong already. That all being said the guy is still responsible.

I will also add, in 28 years of repairing crankshafts one thing I have learned is cast cranks, Y-Block or otherwise, if they have a rod journal that has been hot enough to turn it black/blue throw it away. If it is bent and you try to straiten it you will more than likely hear a little "tink" sound and it's all over.

25. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Good idea but I would leave that to the shop owner.

26. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

1) The machine shop is taking care of it, read the thread.

2) The deductible on an insurance policy is probably more than the price of a crank, why get the insurance company involved?

3) WTF? Small claims court? The o.p. isn't getting screwed, both parties are taking care of the problem. An attitude like that is the reason that good shops to deal with are getting hard to find.

27. Dyce

Dyce

You should take your machinist out to lunch!! He gave you a crank(credit) to replace your junk.

28. johnnie

johnnie
    from indiana

Back at this post, he just needs a value for the crank. Matt Franklin got this far. So who else can help with a value?

29. If it was previouly cracked, look at the break-edge with a loupe (possibly with the naked eye as well) you should see 2 colors. The new break will be lighter and the old original crack will be darker.

Bob

30. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

"friends" & family always first ones to screw you, and they are comfortable about it!