Register now to get rid of these ads!

is the area ok?

Discussion in 'H.A.M.B. Drag Nationals' started by PBRmeASAP, May 22, 2011.

1. just heard a tornado hit the area...hope everyone is ok..

2. An EF4 hit Joplin just before 6pm this evening. Much of the city is leveled. Even though the HAMB Drags are four months off, they will be far from being fully rebuilt in that time. I remember the tornados that have affected the OKC area over the last 12 years - I was taken out by one! It takes a LOT of time to get things rebuilt.

I'm quite sure that Ryan and the organizers are on top of things to see what will actually happen. Hope things work out across the board.

3. KCsledz

KCsledz

read the main board there is a post on the tornado and what it tore up.

4. monsterflake

monsterflake

with that much damage, there may not be any hotel rooms available, even in august. it's gonna take a while to rebuild those homes...

5. guiseart

guiseart

yep. might be a re-location time. best thoughts go out to the victims.

6. davidh73750

davidh73750

ark city ks? Home of Jeff Myers and McPhail?

7. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

It's probably a little early to talk about moving the Drags. Assuming the area can support it, they can sure use the dollars it generates.

We could all get back to basics and camp if there are no hotel rooms.

8. monsterflake

monsterflake

yup, cut down on the saturday morning traffic jam, just head to the track on friday and set up camp!

9. ryno

ryno

10. Ditto!!! My 2 cents, we need to think people at this moment. When the drags roll around we should still be thinking people. This years drags, we should have a benefit for the people effected by the storms. Sorry, just my thoughts.

11. My firemen buds that got to Joplin sunday evening and are still there have reported some stuff back to me and the Holiday Inn at I-44 and Rangeline (the host hotel) is still there. It's big problem is no water or electricity. The host hotel is about 1.3 miles south of where the tornado finally quit and that unfortunately was one of the bigger areas of building devistation so I don't know anything about the hotels further up rangeline from I-44. I think it's safe to say the drags should be able to go on but it will be a very somber ride up rangeline to get to Asbury. The point I'm making here is we all make Joplin our rowdy little home once a year and we are all met with open arms for this cherished event. I too am also making my donations but is the red tape and extra effort too much that we can't make an item in the online store that is a donation bucket and then at then on HAMB Drag weekend the Hamb can give a check to the city fathers from the HAMB? I ask this as it might be tricky or prohibited to offer a not for profit link in a store that otherwise operates for other intents and purposes and I don't want to act like this should be something that Ryan and the crew can do at the drop of a hat because it might not be but if it could happen, I would definately donate to that too. Just a thought.

12. guiseart

guiseart

My point is the rooms available... Joplinites are gonna be needing them for awhile, that's for sure. Camping sounds fun.

13. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

Mother nature is a badass
    hope everyone is o.k. Around there.. I heard on the news, things were horrible

14. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

We went to Joplin this weekend to the Mo-Kan Dragway and toured the tornado area afterwards. It was devastating. Down towards the hotel was good with no damage but go a few blocks and it is total devastation. So sad to see. I was amazed at the neighborhoods that already have all the trees and belongings at the curb for pickup. I was amazed at all the volunteers and free meal tents up to help everyone.