Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brake Line issues with air ride

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1927 Death Trap, May 23, 2011.

1. 1927 Death Trap

1927 Death Trap
    from CT

I just installed air ride in the 53 Chevy. While driving in the city I lost the brakes. Just bought the car, and just ordered a dual master. Please everyone, I KNOW I need a duel master. I just got the car, this was the on the ride home from the suspension shop where the car went the day I bought it. The right rear rubber line, 5/8's, some how spun itself out of the t-fitting that goes to the hard lines. I think it could be from the up and down travel with the new suspension. Any suggestions on how to prevent this. I was thinking of putting some locktite on the threads. Not the liquid, I don't want to risk it getting into the system. I was thinking of using the new tape they make that is basically like thread sealer. I really don't want this to happen again! Losing the brakes at 40mph heading into a red light very busy intersection was the scariest b.s. I have EVER dealt with. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

2. THE BRONSON

THE BRONSON

Maybe you need a longer soft line due to the up and down travel

3. 1927 Death Trap

1927 Death Trap
    from CT

This is the line provided by Air Ride Technology. I'll be on the phone with them about it today.

4. 215slowpoke

215slowpoke

I would speak to the shop that did the install. They need to be aware of what happened wether it was there fault or a faulty part from a manufacture.

5. JonF

JonF

DON'T use teflon or any other kind of sealing tape on inverted flare fittings. Just my .02:D

6. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

pics would help!

In a long travel situation the fittings on both ends should not be pointed at one another, and 90 degree fitting is needed. As the suspension moves and the line sees tension one side will try to loosen the other will try to tighten.

7. Tony

Tony

Holy shit man!! I'm sure glad you are ok and nothing serious happened!

Upgrading to the dual master is always a good move. Probably something i should have done when i built it but obviously didn't, i just bought a new single instead.
    I like da tinmans suggestion. Makes sense.
    Also something i am not going to look into on my 62 now being thats on air too.

Tony

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It sounds like they "pre-loaded" the line when they tightened it up. If the line does not have a swivel at either end, or any end, care must be taken to install it in such a manner that does not wind it up while installing it.

Pictures will help. We'll get it figured out, right quick.

9. Jerryinok

Jerryinok
    from Oklahoma

Or the shop forgot to tighten it after the work was done!!

10. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

First off, Im glad everyone is safe.

You need to extend the hard mount or tab away from the body/frame closer to the center of your travel. What I mean is if you have 8 inches of travel then your hard line should be 4 inches from bottemed out ( lowest point ) so that your flex line will only flex four inches up and four inches down, you flex line should be long enuff for this and your hard line and tab can be relocated. It dosent have to be exactly half way but you understand the line must not bind or pull out or rub anything during your range of motion.
    MrC.