Register now to get rid of these ads!

ETHICS question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lrs30, May 22, 2011.

1. I was thinking maybe he mighta' put his foot in it, kinda like.. 'Let's see what she's got under there, after all these years!' IDK, a lot could've happened in his 10 mile trip.

2. he wants more free mechanical work your hour rate should go up from free to fairly cheap...
    old cars get thier name from being old cars

3. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

I never loan out my car or my wife. You could throw a rod in either of 'em :D

4. It's an old car. Sometimes old cars break down.

Also, if $70 of gas only took you 100 miles, there were more problems to fix, that's like 18 gallons and works out to only about 6 MPG. I know it's a big, old car with a big motor, but it still should manage 10-15.

5. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I got a buddy sorta like that. Whenever he touches stuff it breaks. Sometimes its his bad luck, mostly hes hard on stuff. He also likes to use any tool for a hammer, even if its your great grandfathers. Ill have a tool for ten years and he touches it for ten minutes and it breaks, then proclaims its the tools fault. Other people i would lend anything too. But i wont loan that guy a brick.

6. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

It's an old car. Stuff can break at any minute and they always need some kind of work or another. Just part of the deal. He's a friend and doesn't seem to have any problems with the situation. Sounds mostly cool to me. Just go help him figure out what is going on with it and make a friendly project out of it. Probably was just some old oil line finally giving up the ghost or something like that. At least it didn't catch on fire and burn to the ground or brakes failed and he got T-boned by a semi.

7. customs by jason

customs by jason

dont beat yourself up about it, hopfully its something minor and you can just go over and fix it for him just cause its your buddy

8. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

I agree with helping him until you feel no guilt, and I believe it was just coincidence.

Back in HS, my brother and I were in a mad rush to get my '53 to the inspection place (15 miles away) before it closed for the day. We got everything buttoned up and we agreed he should drive it there in case we get pulled over (he had more experience in those situations :p). We get on the highway and get it up to about 50, maybe 60, when the hood flies up! We are still driving at speed but all we can do is look at eachother...both of us sick as dogs with disappointment. We pull over, strap it shut, and head back home. I knew it wasn't his fault but he felt real bad as if it were. The car sat for a few more months until we found a new hood and hinge box. I still wonder if it would have happened if I were driving.:eek:

Moral: If you feel bad, help as best you can. Stuff happens on anyones watch.

9. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I can't add anything that hasn't been said other than I hope your friend appreciates your concern. Some people couldn't care less about how they treat other peoples rides. Let us know what you find.

10. RichG

RichG

It sounds like money isn't an issue with him, the best thing you could do is help him fix whatevers wrong with it, maybe he can pick up some skills along the way. This way you feel like you've done right by your friend and he's got a fixed car and knows a little bit more than he did. Win-win.

11. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

The biggest issue is that the car needed so much work, he could NOT have been maintaining it, or treating it very well!
    That's probably why the engine developed a problem!
    So don't feel guilty, if he didn't take care of the car, of course the engine would eventually fail.

12. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Turn him onto the H.A.M.B. as a gesture of your concern. We'll straighten him out and make him a car guy! He's already a 'beer drinkin' good guy' so it won't take much.

Plus, he'll see this post and know you're a good guy (don't know about the beer drinkin').

13. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

+1. It never fails

14. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

You got a chance to make a good friendship even tighter. Go over there with some tools, snacks and drinks, have a fixit party.
    This situation is a good thing, have fun with it.

15. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

well come to find out the car has not been driven more than 200 miles in 10 years..lol... He drove the car about 15 miles, stopped to get a beer, and started coming home, said he heard a odd noise coming up the cut in the hill on 75 south just past Cincinnati, and he looked out back and saw a bunch of smoke, so instead of pulling over, he continued to drive it another mile or so before getting off the exit. My brother went over and looked at it and said that the radiator was dry and that there was puddles of oil on top of the intake.. Plus my brother drove it around the block after I borrowed and both he and the owner said that it was running great.. So who knows what the owner did after he left the getting a beer.. I feel better knowing that. I usually live by the rule to never borrow peoples shit. Hell I don't even borrow my parents stuff, I.E. ski boat, jet ski's and such, and they are family, I make them take my kids for a ride, thats how anal I am about that shit.. But for some unknown reason he talked me into taking it and fixing the lights in return for taking my daughter and friends to the dance.. I plan on stoping over this week and seeing what I can do to help him out.. I figure thats the least I can do...