Register now to get rid of these ads!

edelbrock 1406 to a 700r4

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mixmaster-meat-wad, May 22, 2011.

1. mixmaster-meat-wad

mixmaster-meat-wad

So im a newbe to 700r4 transmissions and have done a whole ton of research and i think i need some helpful advice. I have a edelbrock 1406 carb and of coarse a 700r4 trans. I hear there is alot of people that have trouble with this specific carb going to the 700r4 due to the geometry. There is a ton of different little brackets and mods to make the tv cable work for this carb but is there anyone that has this setup? I do plan on having someone help me do the final set up on it so i wont burn the thing up but which is the best kit to mate these 2 together?

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG][​IMG]

I used the Phoenix Performance kit. I have about 2 and 1/2 years and 6 thousand miles on it without a single issue. The instructions are simple, easy to read and easy to do. I set it up myself. :) This was my first 700R4 ... but I will use their kit again on my current project when I get that far.

Somewhat expensive ... but way less expensive than another 700R4 rebuild. :D

Go here

http://www.phoenixtrans.com/html/newproducts.html

3. Dino

Dino

4. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I used Bowtie overdrives...works good

5. mixmaster-meat-wad

mixmaster-meat-wad

6. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

my tranny guy made a bracket (they have a pattern designed by some trans genius specifically for this application). I had two E/b on an air gap (383 stroker) with a 700R4 - heard so many horror stories about burning up the trans, I drove it carefully onto the trailer and took it over there. Took him about 2 hours to make/install the crescent shaped bracket, hook up and adjust the TV cable, and it worked just dandy.

Wasn't aware there were kits

dj

7. dgc15

dgc15

I have the Bowtie kit on my 1406. Have about 10,000 miles on it and no problems.
    I would do it again. Not sure I would do a 1406 again. I hate it!

8. mixmaster-meat-wad

mixmaster-meat-wad

Whats so bad about a 1406? So far i havent heard any bad things about it.

9. mixmaster-meat-wad

mixmaster-meat-wad

Just paid 180 for the bowtie overdrive kit with all braided cable plus a throttle bracket. Thanks for everyones input and i hope this helps someone else as well.

10. Tin Can

Tin Can

good information here. Subscribed for future use

11. dgc15

dgc15

Terrible Gas milage. Changed jets & rods per their tuning kit instructions and no change at all. If it sets 4-5 days, it takes forever to start. I been through it several times and no matter what I do it does not change anything. I talked to Edelbrock and they said it was a fuel pressure problem, I put on two different regulators and gauges, no change with either one. Next they told me the floats were not set right. I checked them several times and took it to a carb shop, they agreed that it was set right. Still no change. Sometimes it will idle @ 1000rpm, sometimes it's 500rpm, sometimes when you stop at a red light it will just quit, seems to flood.
    I bought a 1405 on ebay real cheap just to play with. I rebuilt it with left over parts from the 1406. Totally different, idles fine, starts easy after setting for a week, gas mileage still terrible. I think that there are good castings and bad castings and I have a bad one. I have talked to at least a dozen people at rod runs. It seems that about half of them have no problem and they other half of them have the same problems that I have.

12. Thirtycoup

Thirtycoup

Good, you won't be disappointed. I purchased the same kit along with the brackets, lockup kit, new TV cable spring etc. Installed it all by myself with the exception of the Edlebrock carb bracket and it works perfectly.
    You'll be happy with it,
    Mike

13. chevyburb

chevyburb

WOW, I've put 3 of those carbs on different cars & they ALL ran right out of the box. Never had a single problem with them. 1 on a 350, 1 0n a 396 & 1 on a 406

14. mixmaster-meat-wad

mixmaster-meat-wad

Well there is no one product that will make everyone happen ya know? Mine is on its way. So what set up did everyone go with fuel supply wise? I need to get a fuel pump and ive seen a few brackets that hold a fuel filter that bolts right to the carb. Is anyone running a fuel pressure regulator? and does anyone know what pressure the 1406 likes running at, ive been told they can be finicky.

15. dbradley

dbradley

I have found that mine likes about 5psi. I tried 6 and 7 and in both cases, it seemed to load up at stoplights. Zero problems at 5 and it doesn't run out at high speed. (I am using 2X4 with electric pump at the tank and regulator at the firewall, 3/8 line)

16. mixmaster-meat-wad

mixmaster-meat-wad

Sweet shit. Thanks a ton guys you have no idea how much help you guys really are. Between having a lower chopped truck, an overdrive trans, and running 280(ish) gears im hoping to get some good fuel mileage as well.

17. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Overdrive and 280 ish gears will dissappoint you...Your engine likes more rpm...I like 355 gears or 373 in the rear end...I learned the hard way...after changing to 355 my mpg went up..my 2 cents

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  18. mixmaster-meat-wad

mixmaster-meat-wad

ya, i was originally looking for 300-350 gears but i came across a buddy who had a 91 trans-am with an LS1 motor, 700r4 with a stage 2 shift kit, and the axle (280?). It ran great and cruised on the highway at 80mph almost idling. All he wanted was the motor and i got to keep the rearend and transmission for helping him pull the motor. Cant argue with free. But ya, im afraid it gonna be to low.

19. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

dgc15 I have some of the same issues. My biggest gripe is the erratic idle and hard starting.

20. Brokenspoke:
    Overdrive and 280 ish gears will dissappoint you...Your engine likes more rpm...I like 355 gears or 373 in the rear end...I learned the hard way...after changing to 355 my mph went up..my 2 cents

What size tire OD are you running? I have a 350/4L60 & 3:55 gears & went from 29" tire to 26" tire & unless my tach is off on rpms it still runs too slow.Just short of the powerband unless I'm really going 75-80. Yes my 1406 doesn't perform perfectly either. I think it has mental problems. Some days it's fine other days it throws a fit. I have a 1405 core that I just might have to rebuild.

21. mixmaster-meat-wad

mixmaster-meat-wad

ya, it still be cheaper for me to change gears to what i want and keep my freebie rearend than finding another that will work for me. Im sure its gonna take some tweaking. i talked to my buddy that kept the LS1 and he said his motor loves lower RPM's just fine but ill probably have to regear mine.

Im just now shooting epoxy on my cab and getting ready to do some skim coating then ill finally be able to do a full mock up to see what tires ill be able to fit.

From what ive heard some people love the 1406 and others hate it/tolerate it. ive heard that its all about the combo and the final tweaks on it. Ive heard putting in a higher adapter plate n such helps with the eratic idle and hard start but im sure there are adjustments to get around it you just have to play with it.

22. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Just like the Carter Competition Series Carbs that they evolved from the Edelbrock Carbs may take some tweaking if you are running a stouter cam,get the metering rod spring assortment and try changing them in many cases this will bring the erratic idle problem under control and fuel pressure is important 4.5 to 5 psi is ideal,the 1406 is leaner and geared more to being emissions friendly on a basic engine build where the 1405 is actually jetted the same as a Carter 9635S Competition Series and is better suited for a street performance build.If you put the 1405's jets and metering rods and springs in a 1406 you basicly have a Carter 9635S.

23. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Vortech 350 & 700R4 & 3:73 rear & 29 inch tires & 1406 rejetted = 22 mpg @ 2100 rpms. starts good after days of setting and idles @ 650 rpms

HelmuthBrothers likes this.
  24. Greezeball

Greezeball

I think this thread will help me. My 1406 on a 406 is crazy rich and nothing helps. Its on a mechanical pump but no regulator I think that may be the problem. Thanks.

I will say this once on the highway it works great and I get 20-25 mpg. Its a stinkin pig in town though.

25. luvzccr

luvzccr

has anyone used this on a 460? i need a new one and almost bought the 1406 today with a new intake

26. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

After reading all these, I'm thinking maybe I should be running a pressure regualtor with a mechanical pump? I have a 1406 carb, so far I'm afraid to check the gas milage!

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This has been said a thousand times, or more, but I am going to say it it again: Without exception, if you are running an Edelbrock carburetor you MUST run a fuel pressure regulator (and not a cheap chrome round "parts store" one).

28. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

29. t-buckethead

t-buckethead
    from texas

i run my edelbrock 1806 at about 6psi.i have always run between 4-7psi.

30. pres

pres

I run 7 to 8 lbs from a blue Holley that came with the regulator. ( just have to put in gage) 350 base block to much to list but it laughs at 5 psi and falls flat when hammering it.