Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trade a 1925 TT for a 1931 A??..What do you EXPERTS think?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NVR2ND, May 22, 2011.

1. NVR2ND

NVR2ND

I have a 1925 Ford TT. Its about 95% complete, with, new paint, new, interior, new bed, this list goes on and on...Its running a 283 chevrolet, 2 spd powerglide, and ford 9" rearend.....I was at a car show yesterday, and this fellow offered to trade me this 1931 coupe strait up. The car is an older restore, and (dont let pictures fool u) will need some paint & body work, (but theres no rust). It has 4 wheel drum brakes, ford 9" rear, a supposedly new 355 with Weiland high rise and 2 edelbrock 600 cfm 4 bbrls. It will also need rims, the old chrome is flaking off, the interior is a 8/10 and in real good shape.....So heres my question, What do some of you guys think? I have the money to get the car fixed up...BUT in the end, is it worth it? I mean Ive been offered $14k for my little truck, and I figure its worth atleast that prob a little more...Whats the value on the 31 with a little freshining up? THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!-Kyle

Attached Files:

2. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

I'm not one of these experts you speak of,but I think that coupe would already be in my driveway.
    Can't enlarge the pics of the coupe,though,so I can't say for sure.
    Maybe reload them the same way you did the truck pics?

3. dudley32

dudley32

Probably a good swap..But..I like the A coupe better than the T pickup..just me..and I would like to see the A a little better also...

4. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

I prefer the A, but I am biased.

5. NVR2ND

NVR2ND

I dont know whats going on with the pictures, But I guess since they where originally taken from my cell phone instead of a digital camera. They wont blow up...weird

6. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

7. NVR2ND

NVR2ND

The truck has been a very fun build, and i've learned a lot...I was thinking it was a fair trade, im still a FNG with this ive only been into hotrods for about a year now. Thats why I was asking. The last time I posted a question like this I was about to GIVE AWAY a hallibrand V8 quick change lol

8. 5window

5window

I like the Model A, but I'm thinking-
    Why does he want to swap with you?
    You know all the problems with your T-what's not evident with the A?
    Forget the motor-how's the frame,running gear, brakes?
    Did you drive it? Does he have a clear title?
    I think $14 is sort of in the range here-maybe even a tad low if the interior really if good and the motor is really what he says it is.

I'd take the deal-but don't make a snap decision.

9. NVR2ND

NVR2ND

5- I have not driven it yet, However he drove it around 50 miles to the show. The frame and front axle is stock 1931....That I think is a problem? It has a clear title (and tags) for a 1931 Ford.....For what its worth, mine is title as a 1972 ASMV...

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is your T on a Model A frame? Is the A Coupe on an A frame? I like the looks of your T, something doesn't look right to me with the A firewall, and that with small photos. I would have taken the $14,000 offer on the T, but don't call me an expert.

11. cheveey57

cheveey57

I think that if you have to ask then you're ready to swap , so do it........

12. You wouldn't keep the A? It looks like a Milner clone to me. I'm not into it.

13. NVR2ND

NVR2ND

There both on custom boxed frames, the car has the original frame horns and axle. I have around $12k in my truck, and I love the look of the car...But is it worth $12k?

14. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

If you were offered $14gs for your T, if I were you I would sell it!! Build a A with the $14gs!! $0.02 from a non-expert

15. NVR2ND

NVR2ND

Your right I want to bad,im just thinking that I just spent all that money on paint/bodywork, and interior in the last month! AND now have to do it again if I trade. lol...I was kinda hoping everyone would say keep the truck and talk me out of it i guess...I reckon its in our blood not to walk away from a project!

16. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Chop the T!! hahahha

17. 5window

5window

Other than the color, I don't seem much for a clone-it's not a Deuce, the fenders are different, the motor's different, the stance is wrong. I can't enlarge the photos,so maybe you're right. It's a nice color-but not what I'd put on an A.

18. belair

belair

19. I'd swap, too, but again I'm biased on the coupe.

Could be the guy wants to swap because like everyone else he has the car, but not $14K laying around to buy another car.

20. You're right. It's the color and the bobbed rear fenders. Doesn't Milner's have 'em something like that?

21. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

I would have traded that day and already started making changes to the coupe.

22. I'm commenting because I won't be the first to break the non-expert ice; the T is not something you see every day. In scientific terms, it's like to trading a third nipple for a bellybutton. The rod you have now is more unique.

23. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

What do YOU want?

From a strictly monetary standpoint, the A coupe is worth more than your T, even in it's current, non-flattering, rough attempt at a Milner coupe clone.

If it were me personally, I would do it-but I'm way more into A's.

If it were me coming from a financial standpoint, I would do it, the A is worth more.

But, it's all about what YOU want, it's your car!

24. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Yup. Keep the Tall T. Not common at all and you've gotten to the point where you're ready to enjoy it.

25. NVR2ND

NVR2ND

Im meeting him @ 4pm cst today, to drive the car, and if it handles good..do the trade... If i do trade I will have some good pics of the car up this pm. Im thinking I will like the A better when its complete. I love my truck, but Im ready for a coupe..(NOT to mention im 6'2" and will have a LOT more room in the car) .. Thanks everyone for your input, and be watching for the build thread, I will have a LOT of questions im sure! Thanks!

26. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you really need to get that car up on a lift, or at least some jack stands and a creeper and see how it is all put together. could end up being one of those deals where by the time you get everything fixed all you have from the original car is the radiator cap.

27. Deuces

Deuces

I'd keep the Tall T.... You don't see those every day. Thanks for the pictures... Those went into my files.. :D

28. Dchaz

Dchaz

If you are 6'2", the coupe looks chopped so I don't think you are going to have as much room as you think. I just built a TT and I fit in it better than my buddies unchopped coupe.
    Besides that when you where at that show how many A coupes where there? How many TT trucks? I've had mine on the road for about a year and have yet to see another anywhere we go. Even at Roundup there wasn't anotherone there.

29. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I'm curious to see better pics of the coupe. From what you have shown us, I would trade for sure.

30. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

you know how your T is built...I'd make sure you knew how this A was built before doing anything