Register now to get rid of these ads!

eagle field-drag racing or tent show?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sham56, May 21, 2011.

1. sham56

sham56

I left the eagle field drags today and probablly wont go back if they dont do something about the pop-up tents blocking the entire track. The first two events there were great, everybody could get up along the return road fencing and watch a car make a run the lenght of the track. Now all you can see is is little spots of the track here and there between the pop-ups, golf carts and quads. At least at car shows you can get around the fakeabillies and their "rat rods" and four door falcons to see the nice cars. There is no way around these tents to see the racing. I would recommend a 20 foot gap between the fence and tents for spectators to get a chance to see the racing.

2. sham56

sham56

here is a photo I was able to take at the first event from near the starting line.

Attached Files:

3. sham56

sham56

Here is what you see now from about the same location. got to love the extra tarp added to the back of the tent to make sure you cant stand behind them and see the track.

Attached Files:

4. sham56

sham56

or this-got to make sure to tape off three tents worth of track space to make sure no one else can get anywhere near you.

Attached Files:

5. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

I think I'd really have to agree with you.ThatsB.S.

6. sham56

sham56

all right one more. we have three people under our tent. we must need at least golf cart and one quad to get around. right? who cares if anyone else wants to watch the racing

Attached Files:

7. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

This is nothing new. Next time do what I do. Ask them who drank the bong water.

8. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

That sux man I would be pissed off too!!!...

9. Next time stay home. No cry-babies needed.

10. Troyz

Troyz

@sham56- I hope they get that worked out. This is an event i want to attend & participate in & it's a 3hr drive. looking at your pics I think a buffer zone is a good idea. Thanks for posting.

11. That's a messed up attitude! I think it would be nice for all who attend to enjoy the event. You don't?

12. Weasel

Weasel

So what's stopping you from talking to Rocky about it instead of copping an attitude by saying you're not going back? Sure it's more than irritating - so make it known to the organizers....

13. Sorry, but this has been a compliant before and yesterday there was two rows of bleachers at the starting line with a very clear view. You just can't please everyone. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

14. OK, I'll agree the tape is a bit much. Although you can still walk the pits and the staging lanes, there is plenty to see.
    [​IMG]

15. spook498

spook498

And how much tent and tape did YOU use?

16. 52pig

52pig

I just walked under the tarp and watched, most people were cordial. Well, at least they didn't talk about me until I left and couldn't hear. They could have a space in between each though, would help.
    Great racing too.

17. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I seriously doubt if he used any- I imagine Tim was running his Y-block FED, that's in his avatar!

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  18. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

You guys do realise that the people under those tents were there ALL day right? Would you really want to be in the sun all day when you could just as easily be in the shade? I agree that it sucks that it is hard to see, my girlfriend pretty much coulden't see anything all day last year because the crowd was so deep at the edge of the spectator area. We got lucky this year, our friend was there with his car hauler so we just stood on the back of it most of the day. Maybe instead of bitching and moaning on a website and trying to run all of these peoples hard work into the ground you guys could offer some suggestions about how to make it better. A buffer would be ok but if you're under an awning 20 feet back from the track you're not going to be able to see anything either. I would suggest adding a wall down the other side of the track and blocking that side off for people with awnings and keeping the other side clear for standing spectators only. I would imagine you could offset the cost of the extra wall by renting out spaces for the awning crowd. I can't remember how much the wall costs per foot but I'm sure Rocky knows. Figure out what the wall costs per foot including the cost of trucking the wall sections to the airfield and that would be your "rental fee" for the area, marking them off swapmeet style may help stop disputes about where each space begins and ends.

19. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

I was at the event and was lucky enough to be under one of those easy ups, people just came in and stood in there with us, did not know many of them but as time went I got to know them. By three another car came up and put there easy up right behind us, now we had alot of shade and alot more bench racing going on and a pretty darn good time. All events have their up and downs and especially when they are in the infant stages.
    I enjoyed the show and know that Rocky put alot of work in this so I commend him for his efforts and trust that he will work to improve. I suggest everybody keep their comments on the constructive side so Rocky will strive to always improve and continue with this event.

20. I looked at the actual thread,for the event,and it looked like there were EZ-ups all down the track. In a perfect world,there would be stands all the way down,but obviously,that's not possible. In a small event like this,i'm sure the majority of the people who attend wouldn't care if you stood under or near their tent. Most events I go to,the people are very friendly.
    Seems like just one guys point of view.
    Loved the videos,BTW!!!! Wish it wasn't so far away....

21. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

Well said Gerry! We had our easy-up set up by the strip last year and we had random people walk under it and hang out throughout the day to get a break from the sun. I actually though it was a pretty cool way to meet some new people. I also agree about keeping the comments positive. Even criticizm when offered in the proper way can be helpful.

22. nitrocrew

nitrocrew

I think if they had one side of the track shaded and the other just open watching it would make things a bit easier, most of the people under the tents were die hard racers and sat there the whole day if they let you across to the other side you could come and go as you please, and have no tents, I was there and it seemed like more people than last year if the event is going to grow some more space would be nicer, I cant complain it was a bitchin event and well worth the dust and the drive, very simple old school racing at its very best......

23. Spook 498:

Quote:
    <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset;"> Originally Posted by mctim64 [​IMG]
    Next time stay home. No cry-babies needed.
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    And how much tent and tape did YOU use?
    Your #1 source for "My Nova isnt running because...." excuses...

Tim was in the pit next to mine and I quarantee both him and I didn't get to see the track, in fact all we saw form our location was the back of the BBQ pit guy and the corn dog guy, but that was ok for both Tim and I as we enjoyed going down the track so those who could see got to, and we were too busy getting our dragsters ready to run. Plus if you really wanted to we would talk to you at any time NO questions asked, sounds like a good deal to me....................JMHO...............Carl

Of course if you really wanted to complain how about moving your car parked in the isle's between pits so we couldn't get our dragsters out of our pits without having 5 guys helping us back things up sometimes there is just no common sense amoungs't the crowd is there?

Oh here is Tims Elwood have a nice day..............
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  24. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

:D:D:D:cool:

25. dkendall

dkendall
    Member Emeritus

I was racing most of the day, but when I did try see some racing I could not get near l the wall because of the wall to wall tents. I would not step under someones tent unless invited. When people line the wall eventually someone leaves and you can step in, the tents did not move. I'm sure Rocky will will solve this situation. Other than this it was a great day at the races.

Attached Files:

26. Most folks were happy to share tent space...I had a great time...

[​IMG]

27. Someone posted this on YouTube, shot from the bleachers, looks like a clear view to me. :rolleyes:

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sgupqTSNFYc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Watch the end you can see the Turlock car get bent out of shape then save it. :D

28. M.Edell

M.Edell

I agree the tents were a bit annoying.I almost got ran over by the same dork on a mountain bike twice while walking around by the vendors... But it still kicked ass and we had fun.

29. milo1957

milo1957
    from modesto ca

we had a great time!!! spent 80% of the day in the staging lanes... so the tents were no big.

30. Well said Milo!!!!