Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone in MA having trouble titling thier antique?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 58fed, May 20, 2011.

1. mphudak

mphudak
    from Atlanta

A little O/T, but my 55 suburban was from SC and had a "reconstructed" title since it sits on a G-body chassis. When the title work was submitted to NC, title came back clear and no reference to being recontructed. I'm curious how GA will do when I finally move it down here.

2. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

like the sign above the ma RMV says lose all hope ye who enter here , common sense at a ma registry has no meaning , you have to be related to the grinch to work there and be able to laugh like doctor evil , also you must vote for anyone named kennedy who runs for a public office and only be able to smile when the customer is getting hosed

3. Boldsmobile

Boldsmobile
    from W.Mass

I bought my 64 Cutlass from someone in NH. Wanted to Title it in Mass. I had to pay the seller to register it in NH and i went to Mass RMV with a copy of the registration and bill of sale and was able to get a title. As someone posted earlier you need proof of prior ownership via registration or title.

You will have to pay sales tax on average retail value - regardless of car condition. The only way around the tax situation is to buy from a dealer. When buying from a dealer they can only charge you the tax on the value on the paperwork.

4. They will want sales tax with interest from time of sale . Therefore you will need to come ip with a better story.
    They do have a form for a siruation. For instance if you buy a car from the farmer that has no history that is ok with a bill of sale. Also and affidavid atesting to the histeiry of the car as you know it. Along with a stolen vehicle report from the same law enforcement that gave you the vin check. Took me about 3-4 tries. The super was very helpful and I was more then plasant to help get through it. Jsu write as little as [ossoble in the affadavid and tell no lies. Use your imagination. Also get your ins. co to notarize everything.
    I have a WIKI over it the Hotrodders forum.

5. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

My friend with the 35 did everything they asked insurance company notorized everything, still no luck.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hell, even I have done that. Sometimes it is just easier.

7. JVK54

JVK54

We all must sacrifice to pay for the 1st class roads here in the Commonwealth. The repeated use of corrosive paint that provides for all those holes where the lines should be up and down 128 , 495, and 93 don't come cheap, ya know. Don't even get me started on leaking tunnels, collapsing roofs, police details and tolls on roads that were paid for years ago. This state sucks and we would move in a heartbeat (to Austin) if we could. But at least there's some really cool hotrodding going on and the missus and I are gonna have another cup of coffee and hit the road and meet some club friends for a run up to Lance's 100% Kulture show(a fine affair it will be..I'll post pics later) at Ralph's in Worcester ...Let's go Bruins!

8. John Lafayette

John Lafayette

I have a good friend here in Ma. who registers his cars in Vt. He says they are easy to deal with and I think uses a P.O. box. Another registers in Florida kinda the same way by mail. I bought titles for 2 cars and had no problems. Once you start the process here in Ma. there is no turning back. This state is terrible.

9. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

If anyone in MA is in need of a title for their hot rod, PM me, I can help.

10. Rick38

Rick38

I know this an old thread, but I am trying to Mass. Title my 68 Camaro with no luck. Prior owner had it registered back in 1985, he gave me an old excise tax statement from town hall but registry won't help me at all , any suggestions . Just recently I registered in Vermont and paid Vermont sales tax with my Mass address so I can at least drive it. I tried bringing that to Mass registry and they still won't help me get it registered or titled in Mass. Because they saw the Vermont registration that had mass address on it, they weren't happy , what should I do ?

11. I had a similar problem in California. The State Franchise Tax Board challenged what I said I paid for the car. I sent them the bill of sale and a cancelled check. I took a lot of photos and mailed them with a copy of the Old Cars Price Guide. Never heard back. According to the Price Guide I may have paid too much.

Charlie Stephens

12. Rick38

Rick38

What makes the most mad is I am trying to do every thing legal, if I did it illegally I probably would have no problems ,

13. Reading through all of these tales of woe just validates to me why I left Massachusetts 25 years ago. The Registry of Motor Vehicles started to go downhill very rapidly after they allowed their(Gestapo)officers to carry firearms. The Peter Principle(everyone being allowed to rise to the level of their own incompetency) runs rampant in virtually every branch. Corruption 101 is taught at every government seminar. Going to one of their offices usually requires carrying a lunch box.
    The town I live in here in Michigan is small and very reminiscent of the town I grew up in during the 1950's. People are friendly and say hello on the street even if they don't know you. Drivers actually obey traffic signs(no rolling stops or three through a stop sign)and are courteous for the most part.
    The Secretary of State's office handles vehicle registrations and the people are courteous and move things through very well. In all the times I have been there in person(you can do a lot through the mail or on line)I have rarely had to wait very long and have always been treated respectfully.
    When I first registered my 1955 Pontiac Safari in 1994 it cost me $15 for 5 year registration with YOM plates.When that registration expired the fee had increased to $35 but the registration did not expire. There is no such thing as an "Excise" tax(more like an excess tax). You only have one (rear)plate and it is updated with a sticker every year.There is no vehicle inspection except for two or three counties near Detroit for emissions.You can and will be stopped for having defective equipment(lights mostly;loud exhaust isn't usually targeted)or traffic violations or expired plates. Insurance rates can be high but you can shop around for a better deal.There are companies(local)that specialize in classic and hot rod insurance and rates are reasonable.
    Traffic around here;even on the expressways during rush hour is not even close to a trip down I-93 or 128 anytime.My son lives 9 miles from where he works in Tewksbury and it takes him 45 minutes to drive to work each day. The worst traffic we have here in town is "Race Weekend".Michigan Int'l Speedway is 15 miles from us and the State Police have traffic control down to a science.
    So what is the point of this long rant? Simple;get the hell outta Dodge while you still are able.

14. 31Apickup

31Apickup

There is no emissions testing anywhere in Michigan including the Detroit area. YOM plates in Michigan have no sticker and are no renewal fees.

15. You need to keep asking to talk to the next person up in the food chain in person and on the phone. Eventually someone will have a solution. The first 3 or 4 people will tell you to your face that it's impossible and can't be done.

MA sucks for this. I've passed on some cool bikes and heeps for this reason. But I have had a couple victories after I've insisted on speaking to a supervisor's supervisor's supervisor. All of the sudden "can't be done" becomes "have this notarized and fill this form out".

But there is no ez solution to the mess you're in without a lot of your own effort. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

16. I was under the impression that Macomb County and one other still required emissions testing. As for the sticker on plates I was referring to the normal ones;not YOM. Sorry for the confusion.