Register now to get rid of these ads!

? about Jamco's 49-51 Ford Master Cylinder Conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adidasink, May 21, 2011.

1. adidasink

adidasink
    from Denton, TX

I am neck deep in figuring out my 1950 Ford brakes....having an issue getting off my right side drum but I believe that is a frozen wheel bearing race...

My next concern is the master cylinder...I took it apart, cleaned it, installed a master cylinder rebuild kit for it and think that there is too much pitting that renders it less than useful.

So...I started looking for replacements..the stock replacement master cylinder for the 50 runs about $100. Then Jamco also has a Master Cylinder conversion with a dual chamber MC and all necessary hardware...I plan on upgrading the front drums to disc at some point, but for now $$ dictates that I have to rebuild the drums.

Has anyone purchased and installed the Jamco Master Cylinder Conversion:

http://www.jamcosuspension.com/products/sfID1/33/sfID2/37/sfID3/39/productID/806

If so, how do you like it, was it a complete bolt on operation, or what else was needed to get it under the car?

I emailed Jamco but figured like me, they are off on the weekends.

2. big creep

big creep

3. adidasink

adidasink
    from Denton, TX

Thanks big creep, I appreciate the recommendation....I am pretty set on getting that Jamco Master Cylinder....and really looking for some help regarding that one.

4. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

all i ever read from Jambco is how it takes foreveeeeeeer to get their parts.

5. adidasink

adidasink
    from Denton, TX

6. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I have,there's some pics and story in my build thread

7. adidasink

adidasink
    from Denton, TX

Finn...first off you did a hell of a job on your shoebox! Secondly your install of the power brake conversion from Jamco scared me a little bit. Although I am going with the non power conversion I am worried that if I spent that money that I would run out of talent before I ran out of time.

8. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks man!

I dont see any problems with the non power conversion.Because of the booster i had to make those modifications,with out that booster it would been a piece of cake.
    Good luck with your project!

9. JVK54

JVK54

In my experience Jamco has great products ( I'm running on 4 Jamco cut coil springs) but really disorganized customer service. It can take awhile to get your stuff and it can be hard to get in touch with Jim. But in the end he delivers quality.

10. adidasink

adidasink
    from Denton, TX

Rock on..thanks guys....my wallet is a little thin this month...gotta sell some stuff in order to afford the new parts....first the master cylinder conversion...then later on the disc conversion....one thing at a time...considering I bought all new wheel cylinders, new metal brake lines, new rubber brake lines ,new shoes, new springs..might as well use those up before switching over to discs

will I notice an improvement over the old master cylinder and the drum brakes by switching up the master cylinder to something more modern?

11. big creep

big creep

im sure you will, all i know is that when i converted to disk brakes, it was a day and night difference!:eek:

12. fasttimes

fasttimes
    from NC

Just installed a Power Booster & Master Cylinder kit from MP Brakes here in Mooresville,NC on a customers 50 ford. The kit was very simple to install, but will be making some mods so the customer does not have to move or remove the bench seat to fill up the master cylinder. Also I would recommend that the master cylinder has its port for the brake lines facing the frame ( its alittle tight but it will not run close to the exhaust).

Attached Files:

13. adidasink

adidasink
    from Denton, TX

Awesome pictures and thank you VERY much for the info! I also got a reply from Jamco pretty much summing up your pictures and what has been said here.

I am definitely going to order the upgrade this weekend..from Jamco...thanks guys!

i will make sure to take some pictures and post my progress....i am definitely an amateur when it comes to some of this stuff like this....and am very eager to learn and appreciate all the help and direction here and from Jamco.