Register now to get rid of these ads!

FYI before ordering from the wheel smith or any other custom wheel maker

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48chrysler, May 19, 2011.

1. This thread is a perfect example for us all to remember to take the time and clearly communicate with others when ordering things, or just simply trying to get our point across to another. That and remembering you will catch way more bee's with honey than with vinegar.

2. TV

TV

I'm glad this got worked out. I have bought from Wheelsmith for years and always had a good experience. It sounds to me this like this never should have came to the Hamb.--TV

3. Sanity prevailed...good result for both parties I reckon.

4. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

As a remodeling contractor I cannot tell you how many times I have been told by a client that They want something using the wrong term- often meaning a completely
    different thing than what they said or wrote. Drawings help but often have notes that specify things that the are not what is in the customers head. Sometimes you
    eat it to fix it to keep a good customer- sometimes you have to say it will cost you
    X$$$ to change it. Sometimes the customer catches me on a bad day or I catch them on a bad day.

Sometimes we both need to take a step back and cool off- everyone wants a final
    result that everyone is proud of, but sometimes it takes a cool down period to remember that.

Just random thoughts going thru my head as I read this thread. Jim

5. Mart

Mart

If you say they are too close to the body it isn't very clear - for instance, it could Mean the inside is too close to the body, or the outside is too close to the fender, which in later cars could also be referered to as the body.

Using the backspace term is pretty clear in anyones language - diameter, width, bolt pattern, backspace, should be enough to work on.

Mart.

6. agtw31

agtw31

we have a winner

7. v8 garage

v8 garage

If that is the description you gave them I can understand the confusion. I still think that they should have made it good to start with though. Being rude to a customer is no way to build a good business.
    V/8

8. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

15x7 with a 2-inch offset would push the wheels out and away though.....

9. Mundae

Mundae
    from San Diego

Since I came on-board this information exchange, I have come to appreciate the fellowship and vast amount of knowledge that has been shared by those who contribute. I haven't participated like this before, although I have posted a couple of times. I just enjoy reading and learning. After reading this particular thread, I decided to contribute. I have been in the wheel and restoration business myself since 1996 and it is obvious that the wheels were not ordered correctly by the customer. That has been thoroughly discussed already.
    Regarding Wheelsmith, I have and still do business with this company on a regular basis and I personally know the individuals involved. I know them in a business sense and although we are friendly, they are not social friends of mine. I can relate that Bob and Chris are very knowledgeable folks in this industryand are dedicated 'rodders to the bone. There can be no question that the products they make are quality items and they stand behind them. If Bob was harsh to the customer, the customer must have pissed Bob off or pushed his button. He is an easy-going person who spends a lot of time on the phone sharing information even when there is no hope of making a sale. He has told me in the past when I have consulted with him over wheel issues, "having a good fit is more important than making money". That is how he treats his customers and that is why so many board users have come forward to support Wheelsmith as I am now doing as well.
    I believe that the remarks made by the customer are damaging and even though there is useful information on measuring wheels, this knowledge can be obtained from many sources including Bob if he is asked. I would like to see this thread removed by the webmaster. The original intent of the customer was to disparage Wheelsmith and to place this firm in a very negative light. This type of behavior detracts in my view from the overall pleasure I get when I read the postings on this board. I value intelligent discussion. This thread reflects poor judgment and behavior on the part of the customer. This board should not have been dragged into this when a solution had already been offered.

10. I ordered a set of custom wagon wheels from Bob several years ago. I received exactly what I ordered. Since then I have told everyone else looking for perfect custom wheels to get them from him. No one I referred has complained about his service, work or style. I do know we don't all use the same language or definitions..... regionally....so it's best to write it down....case closed.

11. Budget36

Budget36

Great you are closing the case after 9 years. Can you help me on my back taxes issue from the same time period?

49ratfink likes this.