Register now to get rid of these ads!

Problems with Optima Battery?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model eh, May 11, 2011.

1. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Here we go at the spin again. Why don't you tell me how that blistering happened from the outside? Why isn't the whole side there discolored. How the heat was localized enough on that one little spot to blister it there and no where else? Hmmmm... :rolleyes: Nice try, but I still am not buying your spin. You are here for nothing more than damage control.

2. big creep

big creep

how about optima's be made in the USofA again! you guys raised the price just to have them made in mexico, and no dont say it cause of fuel cost. you guys moved before gas went up! you moved for cheap labor and now you make cheap expensive batteries. i havent had a problem yet, but everyone else i know has.

3. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Good point!

4. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

I have had great luck with Optimas over the years. I am currently running 3 and will buy another this week.

5. Optima Jim is listening, no optima Jim is responding with PR propaganda to quench the outraged.

Question :
    Optima WAS a superior product , is there any event that happened within the company that coincides with the fall in product quality?

Answer:

Question:
    IS Pricing on optima batteries reflected its superior construction and performance by a higher price?

Answer:

Question :
    When manufacturing procedures changed, and quality suffered, and performance complaints became apparent, how did optima reflect this in its pricing?
    Answer:

Question:
    What was the average cost to produce an optima battery when they were manufactured in the united states?
    Answer:

Question:
    What is the average cost to produce an optima battery in its current foreign manufacturing facility/ies?
    Answer :

Question :
    IS this cost to manufacturer differentiation reflected to its customers or end users of optima batteries?

Answer :

Question :
    Is there any explicit instructions or warnings given to optima purchasers , at time of purchase, that explain
    1. EXACT Proximity to common heat generating items found on any vehicle
    2. Specific alternator or generator requirements
    3. special and specific guidelines for charging optima batteries
    4. Life expectancy
    5. Proper care with detailed instructions on how to do so?

Answer:

Question :
    Does optima itself know exactly what the above requirements are?
    answer:

Question:
    Shouldn't the cost to manufacturer difference cover such a minimal endeavour as time of purchace information to ensure customer satisfaction?
    Answer :

Question :
    Does optima track manufacturing data? If so how and what type?

Answer:

Question :
    does optima require product registration data to be submitted? If so, how and what type?

Answer:

Question :
    Does optima track and record information on defective returns? If so, how and what type?

Answer :

Question :
    What does optima do with this information, what cross checking, comparison, or analysis is done?
    answer :

Question:
    What are the results of such studies?

Question:
    If this information is not tracked, would optima find it useful to do so?
    Answer :

Jim, just quote this message and add your response at the space provided marked answer
    Don't mix it up in some multiple paragraph response
    Thanks

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  6. oldcarkook

oldcarkook
    from Bahstin

I realize that some of you have problems with various components in your vehicles from time to time; we all do! OptimaJim is at least talking to you and pipelining FACTS to the company he works for.

Yes he's here to represent Optima; that's his friggin' job guys. Of course he's going to defend his product just like any of you would defend your car or work if someone was dumping on it and telling you that your engine was shit or your approach was stupid.

I've got a lot of Optima batteries in service - but MOST of them are in design based applications meaning they were intended and specified as a replacement battery to be used in the vehicle indicated. Not all of them, but most of them.

In all fairness, few of the applications here are stock replacement applications and the variables that accompany custom work bring on new evils for all of us. Look at the tens of thousands of threads here on original parts that failed because we stressed them beyond their original design criteria.

You guys are are doing a pig pile on this guy in rumble beat-down fashion instead of trying to communicate with the OPTIMA representative about whether you made the right choice.

I've never had an OPTIMA battery fail -EVER! NEVER! My oldest one is one in service is a 6 volt that is in its 11th year.

So I'm following this thread and I see people pissin' on OptimaJim like the SF Giants fan that was beaten nearly to death on Opening day in LA for doing nothing but trying to be there for his team.
    [​IMG]

Ease up. This guy is a conduit to the company and I'm sure that if they have problems in their product, they will work to resolve the problems and make good on any warranty failure.

No business on earth is going to reveal their cost and profit structure to the internet so don't ask because it's an unreasonable request. In America, you can sell anything you want for any price you want and you don't have to justify jack shit to anyone about it. It's a free enterprise system and the same system that allows you to buy anything you want without explaining why you did or didn't buy the other item.

Some of the questions are technical, but most are accusatory and confrontational, and ultimately, many of those answers are already published on Optima's website in general terms. If you need to know how close to those 1300 degree F headers you can park an optima battery, then maybe it's time to think about relocating the battery. Most batteries don't want to live above 200F for very long and if they are put in an environment like that, accept that their lifespan will be shortened. I don't wouldn't last too long in a sauna so it's not hard to understand.

Most of the applications for Optima here on HAMB are custom and when you put custom parts together it's very likely that you will face uncharted problems. In fact, trying to overcome problems is why many of us are here and what we do! We face the challenge of these problems, overcome them and the share the information when it works. Most of us do not post about our major league screw ups - only our successes.

Please lay off the gang beating and try to communicate facts to this guy in such a way that he can go back to their tech staff and address them. Asking bullshit questions about why they manufacture in any location or how much they make on a battery is a waste of everyone's time and doesn't matter to us because all we care about is "does it work for me or not?" In the case where it doesn't work for you, then accept that and buy whatever you want.
    [​IMG]

OPTIMA batteries solved a lot more problems for me than they ever created.

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

200 degrees really? do you realize operating temps on a lot of cars are above that? They'd need to get the batteries the hell out of the engine compartment then. Most all the batteries are at the front of the engine compartment so theoretically they'd be slightly cooler than the more rearward areas. I know mine is.

As well as the Optimas were marketed to this segment of the market to endure exactly these conditions.

And yeah I read the rest of your post and find it to be feel good drivel. The guy is not here to answer actual technical questions, he's here to defer the blame. If he had actually answered a real tech question I might feel different. But he hasn't.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  8. Oldcar , I like your rant i really do. If you read these bazzilion threads there is a DIRECT correlation between the Quality and who owned it and at what time. Everybody says it -optima wont fess up, and like any company, optima is driven by profits. Cutting corners and costs to increase profits AT THE SAME TIME as delivering an inferior product at the same price is not good customer relations. Its cut throat bussiness that builds big buildings on the backs of its customers.

this is from 2000, let me know if you want or need more current info to follow the chain of events

News Release Archive
    <STYLE type=text/css> span.prnews_span { font-size:10pt; font-family:"Arial"; color:black; } span.prnews_wider { background-color:yellow; font-size:10pt; font-family:"courier new"; color:black; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; } a.prnews_a { color:blue; } li.prnews_li { font-size:10pt; font-family:"Arial"; color:black; } p.prnews_p { margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; font-size:10pt; font-family:"Arial"; color:black; }</STYLE>Johnson Controls Announces Acquisition of Gylling Optima Batteries AB

Johnson Controls Announces Acquisition of Gylling Optima Batteries AB

MILWAUKEE, WISC., USA. . . .August 29, 2000. . . . .Johnson Controls, Inc. (JCI:NYSE) and Gylling Optima Batteries AB today announced that Johnson Controls will acquire Gylling Optima.
    Gylling Optima, headquartered in Danderyd, Sweden, is a manufacturer of high performance lead-acid batteries based on its proprietary SpiralCell Technology®, marketed worldwide under the OPTIMA brand name. Johnson Controls, headquartered in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, is the largest automotive battery manufacturer in North and South America.
    Johnson Controls said that it expects to pay cash of approximately US$62 million for 100% of the company. All shareholders of Gylling Optima will be offered 20 SEK (approximately US$2.14) per share. A prospectus describing the transaction will be distributed to all Gylling Optima shareholders in approximately four weeks. The offer has already been accepted by the Gylling family, which owns 70% of the share capital and 83 % of the voting stock.Johnson Controls does not currently own or control any shares in Gylling Optima.
    The board of directors of Gylling Optima has recommended that all the shareholders accept the offer from Johnson Controls. The two companies said that the completion of the transaction, which is subject to normal governmental approvals and other conditions, is anticipated by November 30, 2000. In connection with the transaction, Gylling Optima will apply for delisting of its shares from the O List of the OM Stockholm Stock Exchange.
    Johnson Controls said it anticipates the acquisition will be slightly accretive to its earnings.
    In 1999, Gylling Optima Batteries reported sales of US$35 million. OPTIMA batteries are manufactured at a plant in Aurora, Colorado, which is the only U.S.-based manufacturing facility for this automotive battery technology. Approximately two-thirds of the sales of the OPTIMA battery are in the U.S. while the balance is in Europe and Asia.
    The OPTIMA battery has a unique look due to its patented "six-pack" exterior design which echoes its SpiralCell Technology. This technology involves lead plates that are wound into tight spiral cells, resulting in a greater amount of surface area which produces more power than rectilinear-designed automotive batteries in common use today. A porous glass separator between the plates holds the electrolyte, preventing leakage even if the case is ruptured, allowing an OPTIMA battery to be mounted in any position. The construction of the battery makes it highly resistant to vibration, resulting in extended life.
    "Having the world&#8217;s best-selling spiral-wound battery technology within Johnson Controls will benefit both our aftermarket and original equipment customers," said Keith Wandell, president of the Johnson Controls battery business. "With Johnson Controls sales, marketing and technology resources, together with the available capacity at the Colorado facility, we expect to significantly increase sales of this product in the automotive aftermarket as well as identify 12-volt original equipment applications."
    Automotive starting is the largest market for the OPTIMA, yet its rugged construction has also made it a popular choice for heavy-duty applications, such as agricultural machinery, construction equipment and marine applications.
    In addition, Johnson Controls said that OPTIMA technology broadens its battery offerings for the 42-volt automotive electrical systems now under development by many of the world&apos;s automakers.
    "Because the OPTIMA battery has more energy and power per pound than traditional lead-acid batteries, it is an excellent technology for the new 14/42-volt electrical systems, particularly if they are designed to include only one battery," Wandell said. "For multiple battery system designs, we continue to offer Johnson Controls Inspira thin metal film battery technology to fulfil the starting power requirements. With the addition of OPTIMA, Johnson Controls will have a range of lead-acid technologies for future automobiles no other battery manufacturer can match."
    Johnson Controls said that it will also continue to develop additional automotive battery technologies for the emerging 42-volt automotive electrical systems.
    "I&#8217;m very happy about the agreement with Johnson Controls. This is a company with an extremely good reputation and the means to realize the full potential of the OPTIMA project,"said Bertil Gylling, founder and principal owner of Gylling Optima Batteries.
    For more information on Gylling Optima Batteries visit www.optimabatteries.com.
    Johnson Controls, Inc., is a global market leader in automotive systems and facility management and control. In the automotive market, it is a major supplier of seating and interior systems, and batteries. For nonresidential facilities, Johnson Controls provides building control systems and services, energy management and integrated facility management. Johnson Controls, founded in 1885, has headquarters in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Its sales for 1999 totaled $16.1 billion. For more information, visit www.johnsoncontrols.com .
    ###
    The company has made forward-looking statements in this document that are subject to risks and uncertainties. Forward-looking statements include information concerning possible or assumed future risks and may include words such as "believes," "expects," "anticipates" or similar expressions. For those statements, the company cautions that the numerous important factors discussed in the company&apos;s Form 8-K (dated October 11, 1999) could affect the company&apos;s actual results and could cause its actual consolidated results to differ materially from those expressed in any forward-looking statement made by, or on behalf of, the company.

<!-- ITEMDATE: 2000-08-29 00:00:00 -->

[​IMG]<IFRAME id=_aol_realtime_web_ style="DISPLAY: none" src="http://toolbar.aol.com/utilities/rtw/rtw.htm?tid=18236" width=0 height=0 dluri="http://johnsoncontrols.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=113&item=706&printable"></IFRAME>

9. slammed

slammed

Triple up on the zman. This 'rep' is spinning lip service like a politician during an election year.

10. flattopdan

flattopdan

i had a factory second optima in my 64 that lasted over 10 years and the truck is my daily driver so to say its bs isnt true. my dad has 6 classics and all have optima's in them and he never has a prblem with a single one..

11. Think the price increase is paying for the new "state of the art" fully automated facility outside the US?

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

And didn't she put in an Interstate? Same company. Why does the so called lesser battery last then.

13. LiveWire64

LiveWire64

Never said they were 1 year old. They piled up around here so I finally hauled them off to the scrap yard. Brad

14. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I will reply to Jim's direct questions to me, with photo documentation of the engine compartment, later this weekend. Right now I'm mentally preparing for BILLETPROOF this weekend!!!:cool:

15. Lucky3

Lucky3

X2....several other threads talking about the same thing. I've had two in race cars and both didn't last very long. Glass/Matt technology is not advancing. Lithium Ion is the future for batteries. Stick with lead acid (normal batteries) for now. Happy motoring !!

16. If someone started a thread entitled :

"Problems with traditional lead acid batteries"....

There would 10 pages of bitchin' & moanin' about those also.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  17. NumbNutz

NumbNutz

Check out Odyssey batteries. Higher CCA. American made but not highly marketed like the highly over rated made in Mexico Optima.
    Also check out Brailles.

o

18. OptimaJim

OptimaJim
    from Wisconsin

zman, I did show some of our engineers the picture and in a perfect world, we'd like to have the battery back, so we can tear it down and see if there was anything internally that would've caused that blistering. Unfortunately, as the test results Denise posted indicated, the battery tested fine and she later returned it to her retailer. I would still be interested in knowing how close you think a battery can be mounted to an exhaust manifold with no ill effects.

big creep, if someone wants to criticize a product or company that has a global presence rather than only in the USA, that is a choice. We choose to focus on product performance, application issues and service based on fact, not opinion. The reality is that most large, successful consumer product manufacturers either contain internationally-sourced components or have international manufacturing capability. This is vital for Optima because we distribute a significant volume of batteries outside the USA. The decision to place a manufacturing facility in a certain location is based on many factors. For automotive batteries, component and product distribution plays a much larger role in total cost than labor. You can even watch the video of our production facility and see that most of our production process is automated. I do appreciate your feedback and I am glad to hear your Optima is working well for you.

31Vicky with a hemi, to answer your questions, while I understand personal experiences can vary, our true defect rate today is as low as it has ever been and there has not been any decline in our product quality. I am not involved in setting pricing policies for our batteries, but I can tell you that premium AGM batteries in general are more expensive than flooded lead-acid batteries, due in part to the use of 99.99% pure lead, which is fairly standard amongst AGM batteries.

Regarding manufacturing processes, when changes are made because of technological advances, they are done to improve the quality of our products and the quality and efficiency of our production process itself. As I previously mentioned on your second question relating to pricing, I am not involved in setting pricing policies, so I do not have access to information relating to it at either the manufacturing or retail level and while some companies do have multiple production facilities, we only have one at this time.

As for instructions available at the time of purchase, an owner's manual is supposed to be included with every battery sold. I say “supposed,” because when you are dealing with tens of thousands of retailers and millions of batteries, I'm sure there will be instances where the manual doesn't make it into the consumer's hands. However, if anyone has questions or concerns about their batteries, we do print a toll-free number (888-8OPTIMA) and e-mail address ([email protected]) on every battery we sell. These manuals do cover a wide range of topics and specifically mention advice like, “Protect the battery from any high heat source such as a turbocharger.”

Since all automotive batteries are chemical devices, their performance and lifespan can be impacted tremendously by extreme temperatures. A rule of thumb for chemical reactions based on the Arrhenius equation is that a reaction will double for each 10 degree celcius increase in temperature and a warm battery will provide more starting power than a cold battery. Anyone who has started their vehicle on a cold day can probably relate to this. However, as high temperatures accelerate the reaction, they eventually lead to earlier failures in any automotive battery. This is why a battery in Las Vegas generally sees a fraction of the useful life of a battery in a more temperate climate, like Los Angeles.

When dealing with any battery, there are typically ranges involved in everything from the charging rate to the voltage of a fully-charged battery and we do list that information in our owner's manual. For example, one RedTop (or any other SLI battery) may be fully-charged at 12.6 volts, while another may be fully-charged at 12.7 volts, so we will list a fully-charged range of approximately 12.6-12.8 volts for RedTops. There are also common sense guidelines for any battery that would include proper voltage maintenance, especially in vehicles that don't see regular use, as well as mounting locations in well-ventilated areas that do not experience excessive heat.

Like any company, Optima does track all kinds of data, including manufacturing data, which I previously referenced, as well as warranty return data. While we encourage consumers to register their products with us, that is not required and that information is supposed to be included with the battery at the time of purchase.

As I mentioned previously, we do record and track all kinds of data, including warranty returns and defect rates and as I previously mentioned, those numbers are as good or better than they have ever been. I know this may be repetitious for people who have read my posts before, but many of the “bad” batteries returned to us under warranty are only deeply-discharged and work fine, when properly-recharged. This is not unique to Optima and is often the result of a battery charger that does not recognize or charge a deeply-discharged battery. Some companies have dealt with this issue by simply voiding the warranty on their batteries if they are found to be discharged below a certain voltage level. We haven't done that, but we did create this YouTube video to explain a parallel charging technique that can successfully recover many of these deeply-discharged batteries.

We do a lot of things with the data we accumulate, including identifying areas where we can better inform both our customers and retailers about our batteries specifically and battery technology in general. Even though as far as I've read in your post, you haven't asked what our specific warranty return rate is, others folks have asked in the past and I have inquired as to whether I was allowed to share our warranty return rate information. Unfortunately no one in the industry releases those numbers, including us.

I can tell you that our return rate is and has always been historically been low, compared to industry standards and has continued to improve since JCI acquired Optima. That’s not to say that we never get any defective batteries, but as I mentioned before, many of the “bad” batteries returned to us are just deeply-discharged and work fine, when properly recharged. I do come across people quite often, who enjoy picking up “dead” Optima cores for a few bucks and properly-recharging them and getting several good years of use out of them.

As I come to the end of your post, I am now reading that you would like me to quote and answer your questions in the space provided. I apologize for not reading your instructions at the bottom of your post, prior to responding to the questions above it in the format that I did. In response to your subsequent post regarding JCI's acquisition of Optima in 2000, I would point out that of all the folks who have participated in this thread so far, no one was registered or posting here when that transaction took place (how old is H.A.M.B.?). It looks like most signed up after 2005 and I think zman and Denise may be the only folks who posted in this thread, who were here prior to '03.

The point is that the emergence of internet message boards somewhat coincided with JCI's acquisition of Optima (I think I first registered on an automotive message board in April of '99). As that press release indicated, JCI's resources have allowed Optima to grow their sales to the point where they are the AGM industry leader by a substantial margin over every other brand combined. The end result is a volume of conversations about our batteries (both good and bad) that is reflective of the volume of batteries we sell. Is the overall sentiment any different than it was prior to 2000? If it was, there weren't many message boards around to document it.

Wildearp, oldcarkook, & flattopdan, I appreciate your feedback and I'm glad to hear your batteries are working well for you. Denise, I appreciate your response and look forward to hearing from you after Billetproof. However, I will be out of town for most of this week, so I may be delayed in checking in on this thead.

Jim McIlvaine
    eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
    www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

19. Jim, If you are so sure you don't have a problem with your batteries you should extend the replacement time on them. Every time this subject comes up around hotrod guys you have many more bad stories then good ones

20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

If distribution was such a factor you would have located it in a better place than Cienega de Flores, maybe more convenient to a port. This is a labor and environmental decision. Nice try at the spin there... again.

The Jalopy Journal came about 96' ish with an email list then the messageboard. The '01 date is merely the date after a big server crash when everyone had to rejoin, don't let it fool you and your spin. And don't think it's just the HAMB. So you don't research, you spin spin spin...

21. I have two Optima's in my Jeep and love them. But they were built a long time ago (they were on the Jeep when I bought it in 2002). I actually heard about the new Optima problems from the 4x4 crowd. It used to be the "must have" battery for rugged off road conditions, winching, etc. Not anymore. Lot's of pissed off 'wheelers too with poor quality and short life.

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Optima - jumping the shark

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  23. murfman

murfman

Hmm, since my last post on this thread, I went to buy a battery for my 99 Ram 2500. (Believe it or not it still had the original Mopar battery it was delivered with on 2/99) The battery tray is not quite big enough for 2 Optimas, so I bought an Odyssey 34-PC1500T As it delivers more cold cranking power than a single red top. Guess what 2 days later it died, took it back and got another this morning it is dead again, plopped in a 5 year old red top that was sitting in my shed for 15 months and the truck started on the first try. I was able to get a full refund on the odyssey, so I'm sticking with the Optima for now.

24. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

It's funny how Jim never mentions the word "Mexico". He knows it was a very unpopular decision.

I have three cars with Optimas. My '65 Ranchero is still running the same one I put in it over ten years ago, that battery is indestructible and has never failed. Obviously, it's one of those Colorado units and not the new ones made in the "state of the art ground up facility" in the land of cartel beheadings.

The two others are '92 and '93 5.0 Mustangs, both stock, and both have gone through several Optimas in the same time. I still buy them for two reasons: I don't like wet cell batteries very much because they can make a mess in a nice engine bay, and because several guys sell them new on craigslist for $125 or less - and with new regular batteries now costing $100 at the chain stores, it's not much more. But there is no way I'd pay $180+ bucks for one of those things. No way.

Jim says that there is a correlation between bad Optima stories and the internet bloom of discussion boards, and that must be the reason. I disagree. I've been running these batteries for 20 years, and so have many of my car friends, in every kind of vehicle you can think of from new Cadillacs to ancient farm tractors. Ten years ago, you just about couldn't find anyone who would fault an Optima, they were incredibly reliable and long lasting. Now, many of those same guys (very few of which use computers or are members of any forum) now say things like "They just don't last as long as they used to. My old ones lasted 7-8 years, I've tried several new ones that go maybe three at best. I'm back to wet cell batteries now."

That's all internet-free feedback for you, Jim.

-KK

25. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Shameful story to read about what you guys did to Denise, Jim.

Hey Jim, do you guys at Optima think we are all just a bunch of fools?

Hey, how come if the internet and communication is the problem, why is it that this particular unit has so much negative?

Was there an internet when you made the batteries here?

You should have just installed a new battery in her car Jim.

I'm done with your whole line of fine products.

It isn't that your products are faulty so much as it is that your business skills are.

26. OptimaJim

OptimaJim
    from Wisconsin

Bob, the truth about battery failures from manufacturing defects is that most will occur well within the first year of ownership, if not the first month. Beyond that, warranties are often used as a marketing tool to draw in or retain customers. We understand that for some people, the length of a warranty is a big selling point. Companies like Kia and Hyundai have done very well catering to those types of consumers. However, even though the Big 3 doesn't match the length of Kia or Hyundai's warranties, they still manage to sell cars to people who consider other factors when making a purchase.

Like many manufacturers, we're certainly willing to stand behind our product and we feel a failure from a manufacturing defect will likely manifest itself well within the first three years of ownership. If it does, we'll replace the battery for free, with no pro-ration. We're even willing to take the hit when guys are going through multiple batteries in that timespan, trying to sort out other electrical issues in their vehicle, although we encourage folks to make sure their battery isn't just deeply-discharged before returning it.

At some point, all manufacturers try to find a balance between the length of a warranty and the initial purchase price. Some retailers do exactly that with their house brands and I'm sure there are accountants somewhere who have figured out all of those variables for “Would people buy more of our batteries, if we added a year to our warranty and $x to our price?” I'm certainly willing to forward your feedback for a longer warranty period.

zman, even though you accuse me of trying to “spin” the factual information I am providing, you seem to have all the answers. I'm always willing to learn, so please feel free to elaborate on any of the theories you have presented so far, from the root cause of blistering batteries to the logisitics and costs associated with battery manufacturing and distribution. I do try to research the topics I am discussing, although I'll be the first to admit, I often don't have a chance to be as thorough as I'd like, which is why I'm always interested to learn more. I do realize folks have used lots of forms of communications over the years, from email based lists and online bulletin boards to word of mouth at shows. From what I did find on JalopyJournal.com, it looks like the activity prior to 2000 wasn't nearly as significant as that afterwards. When did the bulk of the conversations in this community shift from an email list to the message board?

Comet, I'm glad to hear your personal experience with our batteries has been excellent. murfman, I'm glad to hear your RedTop is working well for you, although given your recent issues, I would encourage you to review your wiring and check for a parasitic draw. Kustom Komet, I thought I did more than just mention “Mexico,” by posting a link to a video of our plant in Monterrey<!-- FYI - Technically the plant is in Cienega de Flores (as zman mentioned), a suburb of Monterrey. Its fine to say Monterrey -->? We own that plant, literally and figuratively and our openness about it is a reflection of the confidence we have in the quality of the batteries we produce there. I'm glad to hear the 10+ year old RedTop in your Ranchero is still running strong for you.

Kustom Komet, I know you disagree with the idea that the proliferation of negative comments about our batteries has anything to do with a corresponding increase in internet usage. However, you did just indicate you went through a series of batteries you purchased at a discounted rate on craigslist, a site that didn't expand beyond the Bay area until June of 2000. I'd be interested in hearing more about the description of the batteries you bought on craigslist and the terms of the sale. Were they sold as new? <!-- I think I know what you’re trying to say here, but believe this will just end up fanning the flames. Maybe try focusing on the unknown treatment of the batteries prior to his purchase, were they used? Abused? Properly maintained? It’ll be a fine line to point out that the batteries he is buying are unlikely to be first quality/new while not turning him off completely. -->How many batteries did you go through during the timeframe you mentioned? If the batteries were sold as new, how were your warranty claims handled by your craigslist retailers?

Francisco Plumbero, I appreciate your feedback and will certainly pass it along. We take enthusiasts very seriously, which is why we are willing to devote the time we do to interact with them both online and in-person. When we go to big industry events, like SEMA or PRI, it is interesting to hear the parallel stories other companies have about their products and the feedback they receive. I'll be the first to admit, Optima's decision to be pro-active in customer service in this capacity is not common within the industry, especially at our level. Will a local or regional business participate in a few forums? Sure, but there are not a lot of companies, who deal in the volume that we do, who are willing to participate on such a wide scale. We are glad we do and we value everyone's feedback.

Jim McIlvaine
    eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
    www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

27. slammed

slammed

Sir, will your company be willing to put up REAL world results that this batt. is indeed what it ONCE was? A infomercial that is fact and not smoke and mirrors. Right NOW. The 'old' units were good. Will the 'new' ones regain the TRUST of the American buying public. Do the suits at the board level give a flip? The ball is in your hands, will you drop it, or score? Enough talk, results!!!

28. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Send her a new battery. Can't start a car with words.

29. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

He wont do that, If he did he would have to do it for all of us that got screwed by Optima. Some for different reasons , but the outcome still the same
    PR guys have a way of sticking their heads in the sand..

And if it was going to get done to be an upright company, it would have been done than, not years later , when your feelings about the issue have been cemented.

The only one he wouldnt have to worry about sending one to, would be me..'cause i wouldnt even take a free one, when i say im done with something..Im done.

I think the company is a write off...what does its share holders say, and are they using the product? are the people on the line building them, use them...can they even afford one?

Maybe a survey of this thread as to how many failed batteries VS good ones will give you an indication of the "current" quality, of the batteries that have been made within the last few years..not back when they were costly , but worth it (maybe) for the fact that they at one time did last a while.

I'll bet the Members that are saying they have been good, are not the newer batteries, they are the older better ones. Or a rare case

30. Weedburner

Weedburner
    from Wa State

My 2 year old red top died this spring from deep discharge. Charged it up (got it started using the parallel battery method), 2 days later it was dead. Left the charger on for an extended period for the 2nd charge, still died in a couple days.

Then i read somewhere that they thought the problem was that the cells needed to be equalized. Since there is no practical way to do that, they came up with an alternative process. Basically, after completely charging using the conventional method, then slightly overcharging the battery at 15.5 volts for an additional 3 hours. I had to use my computerized charger for my RC car batteries to achieve the 15.5 charge rate, but i tried this and now my red top works great. Appears to hold a charge just as well as when it was brand new.

Your mileage may vary, but i'd definately buy another.