Register now to get rid of these ads!

FYI before ordering from the wheel smith or any other custom wheel maker

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48chrysler, May 19, 2011.

1. rod rialto

rod rialto
    from rialto, ca

CRAP...I googled wheelsmith, and this thread came up...I want to get some wheels for truck, and was considering the wheelsmith...now I don't know...I can't stand the thought of using a bolt-centric wheel...There's a diagram on the wheelsmith's web site showing a bunch of key dimensions.
    When I got a driveshaft made, I took 2 driveshafts to the shop...one that fit the tranny, and one that fit the diff, and told them i wanted the front to be like this, and the rear to be like that, and the length.
    But if it's true that this is the way this business is run...not good.

2. Weasel

Weasel

You are close enough to go visit The Wheelsmith in person - they moved from Santa Ana to Corona and yes they are hardcore hot rodders. When I was in a crunch Rex knocked me up a wheel in 20 minutes flat while I waited and chatted to Bob - now how is that for service???

3. Muttley

Muttley

Order your stuff from Jimmy at Rally America, he is a HAMBer and an Alliance Vendor.

4. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Amen!

5. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I certainly don't have a dog in this fight but I believe that anyone ordering a specialty item like custom wheels should have done the extra work to Fax or e-mail a measured drawing.
    Now if I was a business man I would have said ,send them back with a drawing and I will make it right.If you loose two customers over this type of thing it will probably be a wash. Its not like the wheels couldn't be reused in some way. Just my opinion I could be wrong.

6. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

First let me say I have been a customer of Bob at Wheel Smith for 10 years or longer. He has always taken care of me; even replaced a wheel or two along the way that wouldn't ballance right. He is a fair guy in my opinion.

I am also a business owner for over 25 years and know that dissagreements with clients are going to happen no matter how hard I try. Just add people to any situation and you are eventually going to have issues to sort out. Hell, sometimes it isn't even that there is much to argue about, sometime two people just dont like each other.

There are really 3 sides to every story; yours, mine and some in between is the truth. There is always more information that one side (or both) is misiing that will change the point of view of the other one; the trick is being willing to continue listening once the argument has started. Both sides polarize to oppisite corners and start building their case and stop trying to get that missing information that might help them get closer to the truth.

I almost always am willing to do whatever it takes to settle a disagreement or an unsatisfied person because I know that in the long run the bad press will be far more damaging than the cost of the problem at hand. Honestly, most issues just are not worth the stress of an argument, but I guess it is our nature to argue.

I normally just read this type of post and stay out of it and I may regret this but I am going to call Bob and tell him to do somthing about this (hopefully not a public argument) because I care abut him as a person and also as a fellow business owner.

7. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Who still uses the term 'Low life'?
    Like all the other sensible posters have said there are at least two sides to every story and hopefully the seller will be in touch with the buyer and resolve this without public bashings and a pissing match.
    If and only if the OP turns out to be at fault then I would expect a retraction and an apology,and of course the same from the seller.
    I'm guessing a post like this could cause considerable damage to a businesses' reputation and would like to see it resolved away from the prying eyes of thousands of opinions.

8. Ive got a feeling there is way more to this story.

9. Sometimes the terms "positive" and "negative" doesn't just apply to wheels.

I've found that even a crappy sketch and a fax does wonders.

Good luck with your resolution.

10. I really feel that the op is getting a rough ride here. Not all of us guys understand the finer details of rim measurements like a wheel manufacturer does. If I was a wheel producer or an employee of, I would like to think that I could tell the difference between a guy who knows exactly what he wants, and a guy who knows what he wants but lacks the understanding and 'keywords' to describe it. If you knew you had an uninitiated type guy on the phone, you would ask a different set of questions to make sure you were both on the same page.How hard is that???
    I have been self employed in the past and my motto was "The customer is always right........even when they're wrong"
    I tripled the turnover in 3 years with that attitude.........sure it costs you now and then, but return business is where it's at.
    Yin/yang...give and take......come on wheel dude!! you aren't a wheel god........plenty more manufacturers out there......don't be such an ass.

11. thaugen

thaugen

I finally found his website (thewheelsmith.net, not .com) and there is an order form with diagram for a fendered car. Maybe could have modified that to your fenderless application? http://www.thewheelsmith.net/WheelGeometry.html

On the same web page his warranty says "there are no returns allowed on custom offset wheels." Doesn't sound like a good position for OP.

Finally, a city search on wheel smith in Santa Ana found two reviewers with similar complaints and similar comments about his customer service skills.

12. Definately. We're from different corners of the U.S. (and the world, for that matter) and we've all got different terms for the same thing. A simple sketch may not have the similar term, but the sketch explains the intent. A few weeks ago, there was a thread about wheels where guys were getting pissed because the rim outer was being referred to as a "hoop". I've been messing with wheels for 30 years, and I've always heard them being called hoops, shells, outers, or barrels. In the end, it made NO difference at all what they were called. The thread got way off topic, and for no reason at all. There's a big difference between backspace and offset, and I think that's where the disconnect happened. They appear similar in terms, but in the wheel world, they are two seperate functions.

I get the feeling that there may be more to the story. I have always heard good stuff about Wheelsmith. Not to say that you're 100% in the wrong, but sometimes being humble and admitting a mistake in the beginning can make a situation better instead of letting it get to a point where neither side will compromise.

I've special-ordered wrong things in the past, and you have to swallow your pride, admit the mistake, and save it in your memory banks as a lesson learned. Some lessons cost more than others, believe me.

13. "then everybody is happy and rainbows appear, and unicorns fly around, and butterflies land on your nose."

Thanks, I got a good chuckle out of that :)

14. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

Sell them to the guy that wants to buy them from you. Then order what you need.
    Its possible that you both are making some mistakes with ordering and customer service.
    Ill also say wheel companys dont take back wheels unless you have proof of mistake.
    So like what was said before, fill out the paper.

15. chris sage

chris sage
    from CA

To all Hamb members.Thanks you for your support.The problem we have hear is a simple.Bob and Rex stated that we would take the wheels back and make him a new pair,if he paid the freight.We feel that this is more that fair.Most of you know the difficulty in communication from coast to coast,and those of you that have dealed with The Wheelsmith in the past know that we go over this many of time before the order goes through.

16. Sounds like a happy ending. Can't ask for more than that!!! :D

17. butterflies will be landing on your nose shortly

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  18. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

love it when a plan comes together....

it has come together...right?

19. Good on you Chris. Was this from the beginning, when the error was discovered and the guy was unreasonable or just now offered?

20. chris sage

chris sage
    from CA

The only reason Bob has not replied,is because he does not know how to use a computer.So for being his son and partner.He does not see this,Dont pick on the old guy.We take great pride in our customer service and even more in ou r products.We go over every order to a great exstint.

21. chris sage

chris sage
    from CA

That is what Rex offered first,before he even talked to Bob.

22. kingpins

kingpins

23. Pretty much what I figured, having been around the wire wheel business previously myself (was a partner with Ray Marchisset at Roadster at one time). Knew there had to be more to this story! Good for you guys!

24. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Whenever I order rims from Wheel Smith or Wheel Vintiques I have then fax me an order sheet giving the sizes/backspacing and color for my approval. The sheet is signed and returned for processing.

25. 48chrysler

48chrysler
    from Indiana

Thank you to all for your input. I just got off the phone with Bob and he is going to make me new rims, and I'm going to pay for the freight. I can honestly say that I have learned a lot about just general purpose life situations from what has happened so far. First, sometimes you have to man up and say maybe it was my fault even when you don't want to or you really feel as if it isn't, I should have used technical terms like backspace when ordering the rims and I will remember that in the future. Second I have learned that getting mad doesn't solve the situation, a level head thinks straighter.

Thank you HAMB, I can honestly say that I am mostly a lurker but I do look every day.

Thank you Bob for straightning out the problem even after all the words spoken between, that takes a big man too.

26. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

So this deal was offered from the start, and this whole thread was a result of you not wanting to pay the shipping??!!

Amazing.....

27. Bryanhes

Bryanhes

Glad to hear it has been worked out! Still laughing my ass off about butterflies on your nose! :D:D

28. my thoughts exactly.....