Register now to get rid of these ads!

1925 Hispano Suiza - never heard of it? Neither had I!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thepolecat, May 19, 2011.

1. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

I was headed down the road in my OT car and I passed something that I did not recognize. I HAD to turn around and investigate. I was introduced to this glorious 1925 Hispano Suiza H6b Laundolet. It was an 8 year restoration. It is a 6.5 Liter 6 cylinder! What a glorious car---- and the great thing was- He was out for an evening drive on a regular road!
    http://blog.indianapolismotorspeedw...les-preview-1925-hispano-suiza-h6b-laundolet/ <-- here is some more information on how it came to be. It says California owned and it has California plates. I just did not think to ask if he really drove it all this way or why he was at a random park hanging out. BTW- I am in Acworth GA- about as far from Cali as you can really get.
    Also won Most Elegant Car at Palos Verde Concourse http://www.pvconcours.com/winners_2010.htm
    Anyway- check it out!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  2. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

SWEET!!!
    Hispano-Suiza built some aircraft engines as well!

3. BillWallace

BillWallace

They still build "stuff" in fact they build landing gear for airbus jet aircraft

4. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

I think they also made machine guns for military aircraft.

5. Thanks Polecat. That's it. It don't get too much better than this.

For mere mortals there is a 1/16(?) model kit (minicraft) of a 1913 Alfonso H.S.
    Wouldn't surprise me if it's cross- country cruisin'. I've seen Bentley's & a '25 Isotta- Frachini on big trips.
    hot-rod dude (HAMB) drove an original '37 Chev to Birdsville (google earth- see map of Oz) & back to Adelaide. Roads so rocky, grease car every 6 hours. She got thru.

6. Racrdad

Racrdad

Now that is a beautiful car. Very nice detail!

7. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

oh my! that engine looks like art. Very nice. Cesar

8. nummie

nummie

Absolutely wonderful and beautiful. Thanks for taking the time to post the pics!

9. What a treat to see that. I've only ever seen those in books. Thanks for the pics.

10. woodbox

woodbox

Lovin the dropped axle.............Very Pete and Jakes'.

11. If the good guys drove a Hispano Suiza in the books of the twenties, the reader knew, that he could outrun the bad guys.
    Lars

12. Nice....I believe I have pictures of it at Pebble Beach

13. Some of you guys need to broaden your interests, either that or watch THE BIG RED ONE. Sheesh!

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for going back and taking the photos!The HISSO V8 was used in the SPAD fighter in WWI. Hot Rodders used the surplus V8's to power dirt track race cars. Some cut them in half to build a SOHC four, or Half a HISSO. Check them out there. http://winfield.50megs.com/Hisso.htm

15. rld14

rld14

Wow, that's a rare (And megabuck) car. Anyone who owns a concours-quality, super rare car worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and actually USES it has my respect.

Say what ya want but this is why Jay Leno has my respect, he's got Duesenbergs and he drives em.

16. Why would we say ANYTHING? Leno likes car, same as us. I am tired of this class warfare online about folks that fell inferior to success stories!

17. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I seem to remember that ArchDuke Franz Ferdinand was riding in a Hispano-Suiza when he was assassinated in Sarejevo, marking the start of World War I, or The Great War, as it was called until World War II started.

18. The only "cup holder" in this is ones butler.

What a great machine.

19. exartist

exartist

20. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

wow that car is beautiful , who wouldnt be proud of that vehicle

21. yea real popular luxery car way back when.

22. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Beautiful cars, rolling art for sure.

Leno had my respect when he was still just a stand up comic. They had an article on him in one of the bike magazines years ago, early 80's I think. He was big into vintage bikes too and at that time still did a lot of his own wrenching. He isn't just some rich guy that likes cool rides and can afford them. He's a rich guy that knows how to work on them too, he just doesn't have to any more.

23. 33-Chevy

33-Chevy

Check out the movie "Sunset Blvd." Gloria Swanson's character owned one. Learn what happens when they come to re posess your DeSoto.

24. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Wow, ......speachless

25. grim

grim

Good Lord look at that engine..

26. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

27. jimdillon

jimdillon

Although I am a bit partial to the American luxury cars of the thirties it is pretty hard to throw stones at any Hispano Suiza. They are not only well built but they had the allure of an overhead cam, ran well and the coachwork always seemed to be top shelf.

Last weekend at Indy they had a short recreation of a race between a Stutz Blackhawk Speedster and a Hispano Suiza Boulogne. Long story short, in 1928, Frederick Moskovitz, president of Stutz took on a challenge with Charles Weymann who built fabric bodies for some of the Stutz cars. Stutz with their new straight eight had been winning races and contests in 1927 and he had a wager with Weymann, one of his Stutz speedsters versus a Hispano Suiza Boulogne, (two passenger speedster). It was to be a twenty four hour race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, in April of 1928. The Hispano was shipped from Europe and got tied up in customs and when Moskovics finally helped get it out of customs it did not take him long to find out he had a battle ahead. The Hispano at least in some of the stories turned out to be a pretty decent racer with 170hp versus maybe 120 with the Stutz. The Stutz had to hammer away to stay with the Hispano and ended up beating itself up pretty bad and lost the affair. No matter what though the Hispano Suiza motorcars are great looking and performing cars.

Below is a painting that depicting the cars as they ran on the bricks in 1928.

Here are some pics from last weekend of the short recreation on the speedway between a similar Stutz and similar Hispano Suiza. I was fortunate enough to get to be a passenger in the pace car for two laps pacing the cars. The pace car is a 1927 Rolls Royce Torpedo Phaeton owned by a friend, and he loves to drive fast. According to the owner, with speedometer correction we paced the cars around 75 or 76 mph, and with skinny tires it tends to get the heart rate up, especially when running on the historic brickyard. You have to figure the Hispano won in 1928 with an average speed of 70mph, so we were not dogging it.

You can see my shirt resembled the Pillsbury doughboy when I took the pic of the two cars coming down the front stretch at Indy.

By the way this time the Stutz won and also the guys that drove the Hispano to the win in 1928 switched to a similar Stutz when they ran later in the year at the 24 hours of Lemans, so the Stutz was not half bad. I would certainly park either in my barn-Jim

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. x2. Beautiful axle.
    - Designer Mark Birkgit.. 50 years before P&J's..

Thanks Jim Dillon. Lucky bloke, 3 beauties there, must've been some weekend..

29. alsancle

alsancle

Nora Desmond's car in Sunset Blvd was an Isotta-Fraschini.

30. Ocean56

Ocean56
    from Michigan

A Hispano-Suiza or Isotta-Fraschini is what one bought when a Rolls-Royce was far too common......