Register now to get rid of these ads!

Satans Angels...The Early Years

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R&C RON, May 19, 2011.

1. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Awesome pics! It would be great to find some history on the guys in the club and if they continued in the hobby.

On a side note, just because all these club cars were finished and well done doesn't mean all cars of the time were. Some of you guys try to pigeon hole a widely diverse hobby.

2. outlaw256

outlaw256

man that is the coolest of cool, i love the cars from the day. but ,being a ex-patch holder from a m/c i know how protective of the names of their clubs they can be, i wonder if the hells angels gave them boys any grief because of how close the name is?

3. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Assuming this is directed at me, I'm well aware that there were plenty of unfinished cars around, but in my humble opinion (and it is just that,, an opinion based on communications with a lot of guys that were around back in the day) there was a difference between a "work in progress" car and a beater that had nothing done to it other than routine maintenance. These guys just seem willing to go that extra mile is all. No offence intended.
    Paul

4. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

None taken Paul. I truly value your opinion and I love the panel. I enjoy alot of your post as well. I just find it frustrating sometimes when we (myself included) say it was this or that way back when. It was alot of different things in alot of different places. I'm fortunate to have many friends that have been in this much, much longer than I so I'm not completely in the dark. I absolutely love the history of customs.

I don't know any of these guys in this club, though I'd love spend hours just listening to there stories, but I'd be willing to bet they were the exception, not the rule. It would seem as though they might have been from a well-to-do area and probably a bit better off financially than most.

I could be completely wrong, it wouldn't be the first time..
    Jerry

5. grim

grim

Wow.. Thank you for posting this. Some of those cats have a real swagger to em'; you don't usually get too many shots of the people like that.. Very cool man.

6. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Awesome! I would love to see more pics if you have any!

7. R&C RON

R&C RON

The photos were taken in the parking lot of the Oakland Exhibition Building(the original home of The Roadster Show). The background is the Projects.
    We had most of the present members at the swap meet......Good Times!

R&C RON​

8. R&C RON

R&C RON

I asked Frank about the status of the members and he said none were wealthy, but all had jobs and would do upgrades on their cars as money would allow.
    I will post more pictures tonight.

R&C RON

9. I think one of things that gets forgotten is most of these guys were young men who probably had few other financial responsibilities so most of their income could be put into their cars.

10. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I don't remember the projects down by the lake. I lived close to the Tasafaranga Navy projects at the west end of 84th ave. in the '40s and "50s. (funny how I still remember that name when sometimes I have trouble remembering my present zip code.) I'll have to go down to the Oakland Museum area and see if any of the buildings pictured are still there. When the old picture of the track roadsters in front of the movie theater in Oakland in the late '40s, I had to go to Broadway and stand where the picture was taken. The theater is gone and the lot is vacant.

11. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

Those guys were/are "heavy hitters" for certain! Any pics of that shoebox?

12. 48Ratfink

48Ratfink
    from Opelika,Al

I love all old cars,,, Now I wonder if the club name caused any problems with the other Angels!?

13. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I've got these B.&W. photos taken at Oakland in the '50s and was wondering if any were Angels cars. They were taken by Frank Farone. I lived by him in the Oakland hills in the late '50s and went to school with his daughter. He had boxes of these in his garage and said I could have all I wanted. I guess they were ones he didn't sell. Wish now I had taken more but I didn't want to seem greedy. I've often wondered is the family still has them. I should see his daughter at our 50th high school reunion if I go.

Attached Files:

14. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Look ma, no slammed chops. With Bailon and others in the area as well as guys like Himsel to paint it woulda been a cool place for customs.

15. You guys suck.................you copied my "do"................

16. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

Funny comment on that. I wear my jacket everywhere. To work, shows, etc. I have been in the same place as Hells Angels and never had any problems or questions.

However, at least once a month, some religious zealot will take the time to explain to me how I will be going to hell for even considering to wear such blasphemy.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  17. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

It should also be noted, that Frank is the guy holding the jacket in this photograph, and is still a member today. In our first club photo, he was holding the jacket again.

Ron, you might want to post the two pics together as a novelty.

18. R&C RON

R&C RON

Craig, good idea! Here are a couple photos from 2000 when we first re-formed.We have grown a lot since then, I will post more recent photos later.
    R&C RON

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

alanp561 likes this.
  19. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

bump. I'd like to know more about the cars, past and present. cool story

20. R&C RON

R&C RON

To answer a few questions....
    Original members status: Unfortunately quite a few of the guys in those photos have passed. Frank Livingston, Sonny Morris and Ted Leventhal are still active with cars and there may be others.
    Plaques: Yes, members did run them ,usually from the back bumper.
    Repro plaques have been around for years,but we ask that people don't run them on their car out of respect for current members.
    And now...more early pictures.​

[​IMG]
    Franks 49 ,Early Version​

[​IMG]
    Glen Erspamer ,49 chevy​

[​IMG]
    Ted Leventhal, 50 Chev, Car Craft​

[​IMG]
    Jerry Sahagon ,51 Chevy,Car Craft​

R&C RON​

21. i have always hear there were 3 types of plaques for the satan's angles aluminum brass and cast steel that was chromed and yo received one for the amount of show you went too . just a myth i heard although i did have a cast aluminum one i gave to a collector of plaqes in fremont

22. R&C RON

R&C RON

Heres some more......​

[​IMG]
    Sonny Morris ,Blue Mirage Merc​

[​IMG]
    Ronnie Leal,53 Chevy -Frank Livingston ,49 Chev​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Club Display​

R&C RON​

23. R&C RON

R&C RON

One more Merc........​

[​IMG]

Hank Branum '51 Merc​

R&C RON​

24. Rikster

Rikster

Those color shots on Ronnie Leal,53 Chevy and Frank Livingston ,49 Chevy are fantastic!!!

25. R&C RON - Fantastic thread! ... Thanks so much for taking the time to scan, upload & post all of these C:cool::cool:L photos ... much appreciated!

PS: Next time you see Frank, please tell him (& Kathy) that I said Hi :)

26. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

THANKS! I'd seen some of these pictures before but not all of them......Cool Stuff I Love It.

27. Thank you for sharing , great stuff !

28. voodooblackcat

voodooblackcat
    from Pacheco

Great stuff, I have some 8mm footage of the Swanx and Satans Angels together in Oakland. I'm going to pass it on to Danny G. to check out tomorrow.

29. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

amen to all of the above. And you've given me a new word to add to my own personal car slang;
    Lambchop; a car that has been overly chopped and ridiculously lowered:D
    Paul

30. R&C RON

R&C RON

Danny has told me about the film, the Swanx and Satans Angels have a lot of Bay Area history between them. I can't wait to see the movie!
    Thanx,
    RON