Register now to get rid of these ads!

How effective are juice brakes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sgtlethargic, May 19, 2011.

1. that's funny

2. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Pass the pipe.

3. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

The 35 as mechanical brakes, work just as good as juice brakes all you hators. Just make sure ALL your stops are planned, panic stops WILL induce more panic, downhill stops WILL mean you go through the intersection, and adjusting all the brakes to work equally at the same time WILL make you ask God for......nevermind.

4. they work'a real good

5. a stick with a handle on the side of the car with sandpaper on the end of it that drags the ground when you pull it

6. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

I find juice brakes very effective..... with a little gin mixed into the juice... the more gin the more effective.;)

7. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

It's not possible that this was a real question by the OP.
    If meant to be humorous, the humor is lost on us.
    If a real question....uh, no insult meant, but quite anal.

8. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Party pooper....................

9. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

10. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

hahahahahahaha

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Properly adjusted, at the proper service interval, they work very well. They are still subject to fade over long duration braking, so just don't drive like a hoon.

12. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

My lawn mower has a mechanical disc brake, and it will lock up both rear wheels.......

Ya gotta be careful what kinda juice ya put in the juice brakes, some juice works better then some other juice. Ya put the wrong kinda juice in them juice brakes and the juice brakes get broke. It sucks to have broke juice brakes, they ain't very effective then. Gene

13. RichG

RichG

Performances are daily at 7 and 11, no two shows alike!

14. Have all the comedians settled down? One monkey finds something funny, then it's nothin' but a barrel full of monkey----ers.

I think it's obvious that I'm not talking about 2011 Hyundai, or Ferrari brakes.

How effective are early Ford ('39-'48) hydraulic brakes, commonly known as "juice brakes", compared to say ... later ('50s) Bendix brakes?

Thanks for the few serious answers. The others- someone will notify you when you say something funny.

15. hemi guy 53

hemi guy 53
    from colorado

Holy crap, why did you ruin the laugh fest with , finally, the proper amount of info to get a helpfull answer!!!!! Damn it i was haveing fun reading that!!!

16. Vendome

Vendome

Okay, Okay, now I think we're honing in on what your asking. It was a common term to say, "Yeah, I put juice brakes on my A-bone". Which meant installing the 39-48 hydraulic brakes on a Model A. While I have done that swap, it still doesn't stop as effortlessly as using the self-energizing style brake setup. Now that said, I believe there are kits now available to mount self-energizing brakes on the early ford axles. Anyone else aware of them? Hope my answer wasn't to serious!

17. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

----------------------
    He definitely does find it "effective"...but
    only if it's prune juice!:eek::D

Mart3406
    ==================

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  18. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The 39-48 Ford brakes are effective as are the later Bendix style brakes. No doubt the Bendix brakes are better...no one makes the earlier style anymore, not even Ford!

19. I suppose if I said flathead you's wouldn't know what I'm talking about. Well, I wouldn't either.

Moving on. I've got a '37 (going by what I was told here on the HAMB) Ford front end. It has wide-five wheels and mechanical brakes. Is there a way to set it up with Bendix self-energizing brakes with the wide-fives?

Thanks,
    Kurt

20. Muttley

Muttley

21. Dammit Muttley, the Most Interesting Man in the World picture is a RERUN!

22. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Mechanical brakes are a real time lesson on NOT tailgating !!!!!!!!!!!!

4TTRUK

23. The best person to answer your question would be Richard Lacy at [email protected], (626) 338-2282. I bet there is something that could be done using the reproduction early Lincoln brakes (which are Bendix design) and some wide 5 hubs/drums. What are you building and how are you going to run it (racing?)? For most applications and uses I would just run the '39-'48 Ford brakes and save the money. I never thought they were bad brakes, you just have to push a little harder (a problem if you weigh 95 pounds). PS, I always thought the Bendix brakes were juice brakes.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  24. The plan is for a lightweight/high MPG street car, so you're probably right, the '39-'48 brakes should do fine. I saw in "How to Build a Traditional Ford Hot Rod" that Lincoln brakes are Bendix self-energizing. I imagine they're highly sought after, hence a little expensive.

Thanks,
    Kurt

25. Not quite as obvious as you may think. What you assume and what is fact are, quite often, not the same. There are two common types of brakes. Mechanical and hydraulic. Hydraulics are, colloquially, known as "juice brakes". Ergo, Duesenbergs, post 38 Fords, Ferraris, and, yes, Hyundais have "juice brakes".

26. Retrorod

Retrorod

We have '39--'48 front brakes on the Flower's A axle roadster with stock (8" Ford rear axle) Ford rears the thing stops with a vengence. I think the juice brakes work very well when properly adjusted.

27. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

effective, meaning do they work..? yes

I think in the years the "juice" brake technology has been out there it has proven to work in the application they were designed for, thus they are "effective"

28. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Cant you just remover the bottom mounts, run different shoes with an adjuster?

Has anyone mentioned the advantages and safety of AIR brakes?

29. I bet it's nearly impossible to find anyone calling modern hydraulic brakes "juice brakes". Lordy! :rolleyes:

30. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

If you had posted your question in that form in your first message folks would have known exactly what you were talking about and most likely you would have gotten the answer you sought yesterday, probably within a few hours if not minutes.

Seriously, guys, it helps to word your questions with a great deal of specificity. The expression "juice brakes" just means "hydraulic brakes" to most of us. It certainly doesn't specify "early Ford ('39-'48) hydraulic brakes" regardless of what local nomenclature conventions you may have within your own circle of friends.

It's like the guys who come in and post messages asking for advice on which cam to use without saying what engine they have, what kind of car they're building, what it's going to be used for, what type of intake they plan to use, what kind of transmission they plan to use, or anything else that would help people to know how to answer their question. It's a useless waste of time and forum resources to ask a question like that without giving all of the relevant details.

Sorry to bust your balls a bit like this, but this is becoming a problem here and there's really no reason it has to be like that.