Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Yep, Its a Buick! My collection is almost complete!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64LeSabre455, Mar 21, 2009.

1. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

So this is a little project I have been working on for the last few days!
    I picked up some material to make spring cups. Since the Coils are pigtailed, I needed to find a way to hold the rear coil springs in place after they are cut.

[​IMG]
    I marked out my cuts and proceeded to make these!
    [​IMG]

I welded them up, and used the one inch pipe to act as a spring retainer.
    [​IMG]

I wanted to see what it would look like with the car a little lower, so I raised up the rear to show you what I am trying to accomplish.
    [​IMG]

2. LOWMOTIONCARCLUB

LOWMOTIONCARCLUB
    from auburn, wa

3. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Still need to do the front, got a gasser stance goin on!
    [​IMG]

What is the status on your Dash?

4. LOWMOTIONCARCLUB

LOWMOTIONCARCLUB
    from auburn, wa

got laid off...so it on hold right now...

5. ownster

ownster

Keep the picts coming... Nailheads all the way...

6. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Well, it has been a while since I have updated this thread. I just haven't felt like workin on the car lately. I guess life gets in the way sometimes so you have to put the projects on the back burner.

My father passed away a couple weeks ago. I got to visit with him a few days before he passed and I at least was able to say my goodbyes.
    I have also been busy workin on our house so we can put it on the market. I got orders to move to San Antonio for work.

With all that goin on I haven't done shit. I did manage to drive it to work the other day.
    Nothin like drivin your car for the first time in forever! It definitely clears your mind, and renews the energy to work on it!
    [​IMG]

7. joebuick

joebuick

stay motivated, I can't wait to see the finished product.

8. mt94ss

mt94ss

kimb82,

Sorry to hear about your loss. It was tough when my dad passed away, never got to say my goodbyes.

I hope that you will be able to sell your home quickly and things will go smoothly in Texas. At least it's warmer there.

Mike

9. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Sorry for your loss, Kimb.

It's good to see you plugging away on your project still, and you're moving to Texas? Good for you!

10. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

It's '64 and older, which would make it PRE '65

So yes, you are confused.

11. ratt7

ratt7

Just the other day, at a local garage in my area and guy just bought the same model buick from the states. Made a U-turn on the street when I first spotted it. Very nice car, red with white roof. The car was pretty much finished with just some cosmetics that needed to be done, but it is a sharp car.

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

There is only a year cutoff in the classifieds and that is '64, there has always been leeway on the main board for things like 65 Rivieras and such, the thing to avoid is the muscle and pony cars, so usually 65 cars that were the same body as the 64's get a pass.

13. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

[​IMG]

Finally got it all sanded down. It is now one color!

[​IMG]

Decided to take it to the Local Buick car show! I even won First Place in the unfinished category!

14. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Keep up the good work :)

15. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Alright, no huge update to post, but I have made the 2700 mile trek to Texas, and have started to stabilize myself and the family.
    I did manage to rebuild the driveshaft ( casualty from being towed) and I finally managed to fix the horn after hours of troubleshooting. The contacts in the steering wheel were corroded. I should have started there. I hope to have a bigger and better update the next time I post!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. mt94ss

mt94ss

Glad you made it safe. Good luck on the new adventure. Hope that the heat isn't too much of a change. Get settled in and get going on the Buick.

Mike

17. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

No photos to add, but I have been workin on it. I put in rear seat belts so now the whole family can venture out on my excursions, and I feel safer when the little man rides with me.
    I have replaced the rear bumper with a better one from my stash, now both my reverse lights work.
    Last but not least I finally got around to finishing the exhaust. Before I only had a turbo muffler, and had it exit before the rear tire. Way to loud for my liking.
    I had it exit out the back and added another muffler to quite it down.
    It's like drivin a new car.

18. mt94ss

mt94ss

:D

At least a newer car... Hey, I was wondering, do the door skins come off like the Riviera's do, or are they one piece? It looks like there's a crease on the passenger door and it sure would be easier to fix if you could take it off.

Driving them is good. I can't wait to drive mine.

Mike

19. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

Good looking car.

20. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Now the car is so quite I can hear all the creaks and rattles.

The door skins are removable. I have a good passenger door that I need to swap out.

21. mt94ss

mt94ss

Saw-weet! The biggest pain is the center front bolt - or if they spin. I used a putty knife between the skin and the frame to keep tension on the 'T' bolt so it wouldn't spin when I took mine off.

Good luck... and chase down those creaks and rattles, would ya? :D

22. robertsregal

robertsregal

23. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Thanks for the tip, I'm sure it will take some time to find all of them, there are a few!:D

Decided to throw up a couple recent photos. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Replaced the motor mounts this weekend. It needed it! It seems like they were replaced in the past, and whomever replaced them left out one bolt on each side.???

I put in all the required bolts and drove it down the street, now there is significantly less vibration.

I also pulled out the welder and practiced for a couple hours. Will have some body work updates hopefully soon!!

25. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

I took some time this weekend to get into the body work. I started with a small area above the rear wheel well.
    There was a small section that I cut out, and when I got into it. There was a piece of foam (sound deadener?) It was retaining moisture and caused both the inner and outer panels to rust.

My work area.
    [​IMG]

Here is the piece I cut out.
    [​IMG]

I was expecting it to just be the outside panel but it was worse than I expected. So I cut it all out.
    [​IMG]
    I made the patch for the inner wheel well and welded it in.
    [​IMG]

I then made the patch for the outer panel, and welded it in.

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]
    If I get some time next weekend, I will tear into the lower quarters.

26. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

I finally pulled out the good door I had in my stash, and threw some 2k primer on it.
    [​IMG]

I have been cleaning up all the door hardware, replacing rubber components, and reworkin the door panels.

I ordered all the parts and pieces I would need for the doors, and have been patiently waiting for them to come in the mail.

I still need to replace my lower window frames. They are shot.
    [​IMG]
    They are supposed to be one piece.

I will be replacing them from Owens Salvage after the first of the year.

I have also been workin on the old door panels. The vinyl is still in good shape, the panels were beyond hope.
    Old
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

New
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not trying to make them look brand new, just reviving them.

27. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

You're doing a great job there, keep up the good work!

That's a pretty piece of land you have there as well. It looks like you need to build a shop though! :D

28. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Nice job. I think all gloss black with those rally wheels would look awesome.

29. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Thanks for the comments! This is my FIL's place, he has a huge shop, just no room for me.

I absolutely love this car, I'm still undecided on the color, been thinking Silver, with some Black and Red thrown in!

[​IMG]

30. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I really like this era of Buick. I used to have a '63 Electra 4-door hardtop, I would have kept it if it were a 2-door, but I've always really liked the style you're going for.

I hear you on shop space, my Buick is in my dad's shop. I think he's trying to get me to sell it because it's taking up a lot of room in there. Buick doesn't exactly make compact cars. :rolleyes: