Register now to get rid of these ads!

So-Cal Fender Stratocaster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by randy w, May 7, 2010.

1. randy w

randy w
    from tx

Hello all;
    Just curious, anyone out there got one of the Fender So-Cal stratocaster electric guitars? Saw a pic of one in an older Rodders Journal and was curious about them. thanks

2. justachevyguy

justachevyguy
    from Miami, Ok.

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

dont do it..its from Korea

go get a G&L (george and leo) Fender..original patterns, original design..by George Fullerton and Leo Fender..made in USA....Fullerton California is where they are made..also they use real nice ash bodies..and sound exceptional..think its a 30 year anniversary..or that was last year

SRV..sure loved his Strats...RIP Stevie

oh and with it being made in Korea..how So-Cal is that?
    probably why that guy on flea-bay is selling it and hasent "played" it much, is because it sounds like shit

also, never..ever..ever buy a guitar you cant play first before plunking your money down..
    a lot about guitars are a personal thing..you need to feel it, hear it, taste it and smell it before you can ever fall in love with one, each and every one is different, just like women

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  4. just curious this thread is traditional hot rod ....how?

5. TerrorSwain

TerrorSwain

so-cal speed shop.....:)

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'm going to get one and mount it on my roof rack next to the surfboard.

7. The G&L guitars are NOT Fender guitars. They were made by George Fullerton and Leo Fender's company that was started when the non complete clause was up. Remember that Leo sold Fender to CBS in 1965. In 1985 it was sold to Bill Schultz who re issued many of the original designs. Many of the current model Fender's, including Strats are made in the USA, Corona, CA. They also make mid priced stuff in Ensenada, Mexico replacing the stuff that was made by Fender in Japan. The low priced Squire models are made in Asia - don't know if the So Cal is one of those or not. According to Guitars Unlimited these were made in the USA, but I can't say that for sure

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  8. dirtydixon

dirtydixon

basswood body for $800 bucks?

most special edition guitars are all hype and decals, if you are collecting just to have that's one thing but if you are going to play it that's another.

I got my american strat for way cheaper and it is in excellent condition.

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

all true..(sorry i didnt include fullertons name,,my bad)..the "Fender maker is no longer the real "fender"..so i went with G&L because its the closest thing to them anymore

the so-cal one is made in Korea

G&L are made here...USA..California..Fender Ave , Fullerton Cali

http://www.glguitars.com/

10. I was a dealer for both for over 10 years when I was in the Music Store business. :D

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

sweet..

I got like 10 different guitars hanging on walls hiding in closets..on stands..I had to give my Daughter an ovation acoustic i had just so it would not be stashed away..glad she's into it playing also, for me now its just another hobby

I have a beautiful G&L strat..Love it, also have an "american strat"..i can tell the difference in sound and quality

12. The only Strat I have left is a 1957 Sunburst Body, Maple Neck, Rosewood Fingerboard (think Stevie Ray Vaughn)
    I also have a current Fender Acoustic that isn't to bad for the money.

13. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Gretsch.... ;) Its sad that all these great guitar manufactures are no longer strictly made in the USA...just like the hot rod industry or any industry for that matter...sad times my friends!!

14. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

My non-American baby....

[​IMG]

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

PM yer way

16. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I have american made and Japan made, the japanese is better :(

The chinese one's are horrible, I also have a Mexican made Strat which is pretty damn good to be honest.

17. moparmike

moparmike
    from Austin, Tx

Get a Tele. You can make a Tele sound like a Strat but not the other way around.

18. chopperwolf

chopperwolf

Hey while we're on the subject of guitars, has anyone upholstered, or seen seats done in the Fender tweed material? I got a crazy idea to do that to mine.

19. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I have a Tele and a Strat.....Tele gets played more.

20. I don't play anything made after 1974...

21. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Guitars and hot rods go together - then and now...so this isn't as far off topic as it would seem. I played in a band in high school and college - and drove the heck out of hot rods and other transporation items at the same time.

22. Guitars are like crack...im at 19 and counting.

My best strats are an early '74, an '82 smith strat and an 87 strat plus (my first electric). Love the sound and feel of the 87

Heres a few of my other favorites

[​IMG]

23. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

fell in love with this one the first time i saw it

Attached Files:

24. It doesn't hold up for shit if it gets rubbed (like sitting)

25. dannyego

dannyego

G&l makes an okay guitar, no way near as nice as a USA fender imho. Japanese guitars are almost as nice as us guitars. Pretty positive that social speedshop guitar is made in Mexico or Japan because fender hasn't made any Korean guitars in a long long time. They did make a USA version too that was high dollar. Anyway I am one of the biggest guitar dealers in the country. If any of you guys need anything drop me a line. I will give a BIG hamb discount

26. Those were made back in 05-06 and I did a little more research and they apparently were made in Korea. The US made ones were out of the Custom Shop and they only made a couple from what I understand, maybe one or two.
    What is your store - Sam Ash, Guitar Center (Hey you said you were one of the biggest :D)

27. dannyego

dannyego

Haha, ya got me. I run a Sam Ash. You guys need anything at all drop me a line. I found this site through some customers. Infact just bought a pretty sweet guitar from Kenny (executioner on here) today. Hmm that's surprising that guitar was made in Korea. The last thing I saw they made there was a squire 2. Oh well I guess I'm wrong every now and then..;) to the op poster if you want one I could probably hunt one down.

28. Hellbomb

Hellbomb
    from DC

Fixing guitars gave me the misguided courage to buy an old car and try to learn on it. Some of the same skills. Lots of sanding. Plus you have to get used to the ideas of constantly buying parts.

I just got my fender skirts today. Felt just like buying old guitars parts only much bigger. I like both a little beat up. Plus I live in Danny Gatton country. He was into both. I am thinking about putting tweed in the back window deck where the speaker is. Put some dark urethane on it and it would look like it has always been there.

[​IMG]

29. killbilly

killbilly

I really miss Stevie Ray:(

30. musicrodder

musicrodder
    from Upstate NY

Had an 88 strat as my first real guitar, it played great. Either playing in a band or hanging out around cars made for good times. The So-Cal idea is nice, but seems like another way of cashing in. I'd rather paint up a good used guitar and hot rod it along with a car. Just my .02. :)