Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Flathead starter..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stromberg, May 19, 2011.

1. stromberg

stromberg

Has anybody used one of the new flathead starters like Powermaster or the speedway stump puller starter?

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Nope,
    There are just too many used stock ones out there that will last longer than the engine. Even when running 12 volts. Macs auto sells those new style bendix that wont break also. Pain to install but they work.

3. stromberg

stromberg

I will look him up. Thanks.

4. George/Maine

George/Maine

I'm running a c4 flatomatic kit and the mini starter works great ,because drives from other side of flexplate.

5. stromberg

stromberg

Why are they a pain to install? is it harder than the stock starter? Its just 3 bolts.

6. Retrorod

Retrorod

We have one of those from Speedway on Flower's 8BA roadster. It works very well. It probably will outlast the car. It just bolted on, no drama.

7. stromberg

stromberg

The stump puller? I was going to order it, but they couldn't tell me if it had a one wire power like the stock, or if it had two like the powermasters do. What does yours have?

8. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Why would you bother a stock stater works just fine, your flatty should fire with about 1 revolution of the engine. This is another example of newer isn't necessarily better.

9. stromberg

stromberg

The stock starter took a dump, time to replace it.

10. Ford Guy

Ford Guy

I installed the Powermaster last month when I pulled the engine to change the trans. Seems to work okay, but it's only been started a dozen times or so. The original starter (6V) was working fine, like everyone says and probably would outlast the truck. I just got a wild hair and ordered the Powermaster a couple of years ago and never installed it until now.

11. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

I got a power master it works well. But it was to close to my header. I didn't want to rework the header, so I rebuilt the old one. Apparently Ford tractors use the same starter, so parts are not hard to come by. The rebuilt one works just fine.. I'll save the power master for for something else, or sell it...

12. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

if you are a real man, you will hand crank it..........;P

13. Retrorod

Retrorod

One solenoid wire...one large "power" cable.

14. stromberg

stromberg

15. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I went PowerMaster on mine...works great ! And, it even sounds like to old timey ones. Another thing, if your ring gear ia a bit "chewed", the P M gear engages the ring gear from the front,...the originals engaged from the back side of the flywheel.

4TTRUK