Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects MN Help with a Fab project.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sinks88, May 17, 2011.

1. sinks88

sinks88

Ok guys,
    Im at a loss, I have had an idea where I want to go with my Plymouth, but I lack the know-how to get it done!

I could use some H.A.M.B help!

I live in the nothern Metro in Minnesota, and really could use some help with creating a fenderskirt scenerio for my plymouth, what I mean is that its not "just" a fender skirt but more of a new style lower quater that will be able to be removed as well.
    [​IMG]
    Well, what my vision is to create a skirt that will start at the rear dogleg and sweep up to the built in stock flare in the fender and continue all the way to the rear of the car (like a whole other lower qtr) Best case is to mimick the flare and use the trim on the new qtr....and create a lower rap around the rear that will fill the space that the car has between the stock rear and bumper.

My issues are as follows:
    I have very little metal fab experience
    I have limited funds...Im willing to spend $500 bucks if I need too
    I dont have my own welder, and am still in the novice in this area

My Strong points are:
    I am willing to WORK/Travel!
    Im a quick learner
    I have my own tools (sans metal shaping hammers)
    I do have a garage (not really a Hotrod garage, just basic)
    I have the vision
    I am willing to cut up the car

Well, If I get any responces or help I can elaborate....Im just at wits end here, I have made cardboard templates and thought/planned for quite a while, but cant seem to get to the point of forming metal.

thanks!!

2. sinks88

sinks88

Or even some local shop refrences that maybe could help me out?

3. LowerthanLife

LowerthanLife

hhmm, i have a 54 too, let me ponder it for a while and get back to you.

i need a front windsheild too...go figure

4. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Your best bet would be to work in fiberglass.

5. I'm in Burnsville. I could bring mine over for you to ponder over. Granted they are for my shoebox. But they could/might help with a visual.
    My skirts that is. Granted you want to do allot more
    Let me know if you are interested.

6. bryan6902

bryan6902

Sounds like you are ready to learn. Maybe the best way to get started is to get some basic skills, like metal shaping and welding. Look around in your area to see if there is a Community Education class for welding or sheet metal. Don't know where you're at but I think they've had classes at the High School in St. Michael for welding and/or machining.

Just be a good way to get your feet wet for minimal cost. Nothing worse than investing in a bunch of tools and having no idea how to make them work...

7. inlinr6

inlinr6

I think I have skirts for a four door if you want some stockers.

8. sinks88

sinks88

Ya, what Im trying to do is create a bit of a new rear look as opposed to just adding stocker skirts....that I could do :)

9. sinks88

sinks88

Thats been through my mind as well, I just would like to get the experience with metal instead, bieng apart of the process, learning from someone....all that stuff.

10. sinks88

sinks88

I know it seems a bit out there to ask for help with something like this, but Im just trying to learn more from guys with the experience and maybe a take away some local friendships and contacts....I hope to get a bit more of a responce as days go by. I always thought the HAMBs at its best when its helping out as opposed to showing off.

11. RickyRodder

RickyRodder

I'd be willing to help out. I have some tools and a welder but I am by no means an experienced metal fabricator. We'd both be learning as we go. I'm always ready to learn.

12. sinks88

sinks88

bump for the after "day" job crowd

13. sinks88

sinks88

this is where Im trying to get too:
    [​IMG]
    I want to continue out the rear lowers to come out to the bumper to take up the space Plymouth decided to add by extending the bumper in that year
    [​IMG]

Its like a full lower qtr, rolling out flush with the built in contour jabs of the original fender

14. sinks88

sinks88

Jim: yes thats still an option
    Ottoparts: Ya, I would take a look, why not at this point I take any info I can get
    Bryan: Yes, Im planning on that, hopefully the next metalmeet here locally
    inlinr6: What are you looking to get for them?
    Ricky: YES, Might as well give it a go right?, I think we are pretty close!

15. sinks88

sinks88

16. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Similar to full bubble skirts.
    For that size panel, you may want to start with a large section of sheet metal cut from an old hood or roof skin. Possibly you can lay up a rough 3D one in fiberglass and take it with you to a wrecking yard to look for a similar countour. You'd still have to add a lower wheel well lip, but possibly that could be grafted from a pair of stock skirts-less work tha wheeling out panels from scratch.

17. I'm willing to help in other ways as well. Just know that I'm not a body man.
    PM me when you want to get together and brainstorm. I see that RickyRodder is willing to come over too.

18. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Cars: username in Metalmeet.... I think he's up your way.. Has a quality-working metal shop. Seems to be a nice guy.. tho he is in business to make money too.

What skill processes to learn? as I'd suggest?

(1) Mock it up in Foam, shave it down with a cheese grater file.. that point if your were making temporary ones in glass? lay it over the foam.. This is YOUR shape, if you are continuing the process you only need one side, the other side will mirror..

(2) Make a "flexible shape Pattern" from release and filament packing tape. (looks like a old womans "dress pattern)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z05Zw65GQp4&feature=related Johnny Arial from allmetalshaping.com
    (3) Cut a blank from 18-20ga soft sheet steel to match pattern...

(4) Wheel It on a ewheel to match shape pattern, checking against FSP as you go.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rXyDRKkRis My shop.. hammering and wheeling a panel here.. to match a cowl..

(5) Tip and wire-edge bottom to strengthen it from cracking..

OR?? pay someone a huge amount of cash.. (I'm too broke myself for this option)

You can search each one of these processes on www.metalmeet.com One small bite at a time..If you travel to a metalshaping event.. you can learn more than reading about it.. There are still good people out there who share knowledge.

If'n ya was heah in da south? you'd be buying the beer and steaks... I got a small working shop, thou I am no pro.. I am just good enough to fix my own bent-rusty metal..

19. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I did send you a message

20. sinks88

sinks88

thanks everyone!! I am on my way forward with this project, thanks to a fellow hamber!

21. inlinr6

inlinr6

I like your idea,take pics during your build!