Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Is an Allard J2X a Hot Rod?? Limeworks thinks so..update 01-11-10

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32gal, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Cant wait to see it in red!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. 31fordV860

31fordV860

HAMB Calendar - 2012 in Red ? .....December

3. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I heard a great Von Dutch story involving an Allard. He was at an auction when one came up. He was drunk and angry because the low bids weren't reflecting its true worth. So he got up on the stage and cursed out the bidders for being stupid.

He may have also owned an Allard at one time.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Just an insane restoration. Way to go. Gary

5. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Cheers Gary , it runs strong on my stealth little drive around the shop , steering is easy & the shifter works like a charm.

6. U.K.ROADSTER

U.K.ROADSTER
    from Birmingham

Elements of both American and British styles. Splendid !

7. Microcar1

Microcar1
    from NY

Even the K2 could be described as a hot rod -- depending on what engine got dropped into it. I found this picture a few years ago -- don't know where it is -- but the gentleman seems very pleased with his Allard.

[​IMG]

This is another K2 -- on the track at Lime Rock Park, up in northwestern Connecticut. Up close, these are big cars, with big engines.

[​IMG]

8. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How close to Pasadena are you guys? are you open saturdays? any objection to cameras?

9. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Hi were about 30 minutes from Pasadena , 605 exit Whittier Blvd, 2 miles to our door , the Allard is at the paint shop at the moment. I am usually here on a Saturday but best to call 1st I get in around 10:30 till 4 on Sat.ph 562 698 1227 . No objection to cameras all are welcome.

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. The LeMay JR race car is here in the UK and could probably be bought, all you need to do is rob a bank for the cash!

Oh and you are behind me in the line for it....

11. Great progress Steve.
    Nearly ready then..?

Thanks for the updates, brightened some dreary days and gave me some inspiration to go out and work on mine.

Now if I can just work up enough enthusiasm to get my L type running!

12. This is going to be one GREAT example of a J2X. Thanks for sharing!

When I was a kid, the Allard J2X was my most favored car (until the C Type Jag). I was one of the lucky "rail birds" watching Bill Pollock careen through the narrow Pebble Beach course, aboard Tom Carsten's Cad-Allard. It was breathtaking to hear the noise resonating off the pine trees.

In later years, I became acquainted with Bill. One of the first things I asked was: "How'd the Allard handle?" He said: "At first, I thought it O.K., but, when I began driving other race cars; I found out how difficult the Allard had been!". The problem, according to Pollock, was their cornering; and braking going in.

A couple of years ago, racing my '32 Ford, four banger, Champ Car,at Buttonwillow Raceway (west of Bakersfield CA), I found myself up against two Allards. Both were Cad powered. One was a K2. The other was a J2X (formerly owned by Roy Richter and, later, Al Moss). I had a previous problem, so started at the back of Saturday's qualifying race. After sorting though the field, I caught up with the Allards. The K2 was leading the J2X. The J2X seemed to have greater acceleration; but couldn't get by the K2. I couldn't get by either one of them; but, I could get through the corners faster. Though we had a spirited race, I just didn't have near their thunderous acceleration. Quickly, the J2X dropped out (a broken axle). Still I had to settle for second, behind the K2 (though I DID set the fastest lap).

On Sunday, the driver of the K2, having driven another car in the previous race, showed up late to the grid. He had to start at the back. The "tables were turned". He caught me; but he couldn't pass me. So I finished first. I think on a longer course, the Allards would have "ate my lunch":(

This Allard build is going to be interesting. If, and when I visit Taylor Engine next; I shall make it a point to come by your shop.:)

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Old Dawg

You are spot on about Allard handling.
    Recently some of the racers here in the UK have been making J2 and J2Xs indecently fast.
    First order, as you mentioned is the brakes, the big Alfin drums work well for the first two corners then dwindle away to nothing. The fix seems to be modified cast iron Jaguar drums which don't expand as much and work better.
    Next comes the front axle. Later J2Xs have a bolt on platform for the central axle pivot, a few packing plates brings the middle of the axle down, gets rid of the positive camber and introduces some negative. J2s and earlier Xs (like the one that Steve is doing so well) have welded pivots and need the ends of the axles heating and bending to do the same job. A couple of hoops with buffers or straps under the front axle prevent it dropping too far and stop the front tyres from 'tucking under'.

The De-Dion rear suspension is good except that Sydney Allard insisted on the rear shock-absorbers locating half-way along the radius rods, if you stiffen the shocks too much the radius rod starts to flex! There is also a rubber covered ball joint which acts as the pivot at the front of these rods... This has to go to be replaced with a big rose joint (heim in the 'States?) If you don't, the rear hubs will shift around as soon as the power goes on.

With all this done they'll corner pretty well, but not on a par with a C or D type Jag or any of the Maseratis.

The only other real problem is the size of the steering wheel, try to wrap opposite lock on too fast and three times out of five you will punch yourself where it really hurts!

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. Jon Lundberg

Jon Lundberg

IMHO Sidney Allard was a hot rodder by any measure as the posts hereon prove! His Potvin-blown hemi dragster restoration will soon be complete in the UK. I'll post photos from the first time she lights!

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. GREAT information! Jerry!

Having never driven an Allard; but, watched a few of them, your comments are well said. At our next meeting, I'm going to discuss your information with Pollack (my apologies to Bill for misspelling his name). He may already have this knowledge; I don't know. He has a book that many Allard lovers have read (I haven't): "Red Wheels and White Sidewalls: Confessions of an Allard Racer". Bill, coming up on 86 years-old, is as sharp and humorous as ever.

I think with your explanation, the build and running of the "Limeworks Allard" is going to be that much more interesting....Thanks!

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. Please send Bill Pollack my best, I have never met him but a copy of his book ordered the minute I heard of it. When it arrived I was surprised and thrilled to find that it was signed too. It's essential reading for all Allard owners and enthusiasts.

17. I WILL tell him. He seems to be such a "genuine" person. I think he'll be pleased to know what you said.

I'll also tell him about the Limeworks restoration. Who knows, he might want to go check it out. He lives in West Los Angeles.:)

18. Steve. Just to inspire you for the last push. Taken about an hour ago. Thought that it'd be good to go for a little drive in the country.
    [​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Please forgive me if my post is O/T but I have a grill that I think is an Allard, but am not sure. It is massive, cast, one piece and looks like it was plated at one time. Can any Allard afficionado confirm the make of this to be an Allard? Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Jerry, I am now drooling again! Love that car in bare aluminium, looks stunning. Hows the one you guys are working at at Limeworks coming along?

Wish I had the scratch for one of those, they are simply awesome.

21. Re the grill. 100% not Allard, sorry.

Then J type grills are made from Alloy sections welded together
    The rest were Brass soft soldered together.

Whatever it is, would look good on a project car though.

22. Beg, borrow or steal the cash. Some have sold for around $200k in the 'States very recently which although a HUGE amount is nothing like what they fetch in Europe.

Try £440k (UK based car sold to Italy) which is about $700k at current exchange rates.

What I am saying is, when the market wakes up they'll fly away and it's good to be on that plane. I'd be confident enough to say that the right car would be priced at
    over a million dollars within 2 years.

Having said this I bought mine over 10 years ago as an un-restored pile of parts for what today, seems to be a relatively small amount of cash. It cost me all I had at the time plus a little more and it's kept me poor ever since, but boy, it's been worth every penny and every minute spent.

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Just to update you guys, She's getting colour (English ) today & over the weekend, so it won't be long now.
    On the info regarding handling, great stuff there. I am aware of the shimming of the center pivot block , unfortunately ours is an Early Allard with the welded block, we are planning on bending the axles to zero the positive camber. We put UHMW bushings in the axle pivots to take out the flex in the rubber ( we only had 3 anyway so an upgrade was deemed necessary).The rear arms have heim joints at the front , the rest is pretty much stock. I really don't know if this one is going to see any serious track time , we will see. The Alfin brakes are famous for fade so we'll see what happens there , all were in great condition . Hopefully a color update soon.

Thanks for the photo Jerry I don't need any inspiration , but that photo is inspirational , what a fabulous car.

24. Wow! ... How the heck did I miss this (1 ½ year old) thread?

I love Allard J2X's!

I'd obviously like to have seen a HEMI go back in this one ... but do admit the Caddy looks nice under the bonnet.

Well done Limey Steve (& crew)!

cruzr - Thanks for starting this thread ... and keep the updates coming!

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Well this was a Cad Allard , with a 327 Chevy when Alan bought it in the 70's , that is why the 331 Cad is in now to get it back to Factory spec.
    Hemi Allards must be mental to drive , this one is fast enough.!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. Allard Register

Allard Register
    from Fresyes

Hemi32, this is for you...a 392 stuffed into our Allard K3.
    [​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. Limey Steve -

When I stated "I'd obviously like to have seen a HEMI go back in this one", I was referring to your previous posts stating that Allan's car had been imported into the US with a Hemi:

... and I agree that "Hemi Allards must be mental to drive" ... but us (Chrysler & Daimler) HEMI owners are know to be just a tad bit "mental" ;) :D

Here's a few pics of HEMIs stuffed under Allard J2 & J2X bonnets:

331 HEMI in a 1953 Allard J2X.jpg
    354 HEMI in a 1954 Allard J2X.jpg
    HEMI in a 1950 Allard J2.jpg
    HEMI in a Allard J2X.jpg

Allard Register - Very cool ... thanks for sharing!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.
  28. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

That kind of looks like a grill for a Woodill Wildfire.

Kurt O.

29. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Hemi32 I'm sorry i don't recall that at all , that comes with age LOL

30. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Well She's back from Cole Automotive, here is a teaser shot as I put the parts back on.Bob did a great job on the paint.

Attached Files: