Register now to get rid of these ads!

What Is It?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skoh73, May 18, 2011.

1. skoh73

skoh73

So tonight I go over to my sister's boyfriends farmhouse out in the sticks. There are some really old outbuildings, so i ask him if there are any old cars laying around. Sure enough, he points to the woods and says "there's an old car in there, but i don't know what it is- it's been there since I was little".

So, I go crawling about in the woods, and it turns out that it was the "dump" for the farm for the last 100 years. I found tons of cool old stuff that nobody seems to care about. I also found the car- 50's convertible- but for the life of me, couldn't find any script or branding anywhere that would tell me what it is. I have my guesses, but I would appreciate the power of the HAMB giving a guess. There appear to be some parts worth saving. Sorry for the cell pics- these are the only angles I could get as there was tons crap around it. Thanks all.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Those sort of look like plymouth poly sphere valve covers not sure kinda blurry, Im thinking 1958 possibly

3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

55 or 56 Plymouth

4. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

'55/'56 Plymouth.

6. Ghost28

Ghost28

single headlight prolly a 56 plymouth

7. Ghost28

Ghost28

8. squirrel

squirrel

55 since it doesn't have the pushbutton trans

9. skoh73

skoh73

You guys rule! Where else could you have 7 responses in roughly 15 minutes? The power of the HAMB. Ghost 28- that is the car I was looking at- I had never seen that two tone pattern before, so I was confused. Is there anything special about the engine that would be worth me trying to salvage it (hemi?)? It was a V8.

Thanks again for the help!

10. Ghost28

Ghost28

squirrel is right it's prolly a 55 they share the same dash just the quarter panels are a little more blunt on the 55. It's not a hemi, but the car is worth pulling out of there. not a whole lot of them left.

11. crotex

crotex
    BANNED
    from cuero, tx

12. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

You might snag some of the convertible parts and ebay them. The rest of the car is ROUGH - did someone cut the core support?? I wouldn't bother to save that one, they made a lot of '55-56 Plymouths and you can find a good car for a reasonable price.

13. skoh73

skoh73

Yeah, the floors are darn near gone, the other quarter is to the side but not in the best shape. The convertible top bows are fine so when I go back I'll take a closer look to make sure that everything is there and worthy of pulling. That thing has to have been out there for a long time; makes you wonder what was so wrong with it that it was just left to rot- I mean, it is a convertible.

did the '55 and '56 both have that two-tone lightning bolt pattern, or just the '56?

14. Ghost28

Ghost28

15. skoh73

skoh73

It was a 55 because that last picture you posted Ghost has the correct ass end- the fins weren't as pronounced as '56. Thanks fellas.

16. Squablow

Squablow

I'm doing a '55 Dodge convertible and would be interested in some of the convertible stuff if you get the car out and decide to part it out. I might even be interested in buying the whole car if that's possible, I don't think I'm all that far away from you.

This is the Dodge I'm doing, as you can see I'm going to need a lot.

[​IMG]

17. RacerRick

RacerRick

Its a 50's vert'. Grab the entire thing. Someone will need it for parts! Like Squablow!

18. skoh73

skoh73

Hey Squawblow,
    Yeah you are only about 2 hrs away from me. It might be tricky getting the car out, I think some trees might have to come down to get her out. The very bottom of the ass end is covered with dirt right now, so I'm not sure what kind of shape it is in.

What specific parts do you need? I can take a bunch of pictures the next time I am out there (with an actual camera- not a crappy cell camera) so you can get a better idea of what is there and what kind of shape things are in. It looks like the one you are doing is a little rough around the edges- this one may be of some use to you.

Shoot me a pm if there is anything else you need from me.

19. ScottV

ScottV

Think is might be a Henway !!!

20. Cut a path to it, jack it up out of the mud, and winch it on out. '50s convertibles are worth the trouble to dig out. Will skid easier if you slip a junk hood under the front suspension.

I mean if it was me I'd already be in there cutting brush and figuring out where to grab it to jack it up.

Motor is most certainly junk but it might be worth selling the valve covers. ... well, some '55s had the Dodge Hemi block in them with Poly heads, the 241 or a Plymouth only version known as a 259. I've read cranks for those engines are tough to come by, so it might be worth the trouble to dig that out. With the intake open like that though some of the cylinders are going to be full of water that's probably frozen and thawed 50 times or better by now.

21. Squablow

Squablow

Sent you a PM. Definitely interested in the whole car if it's at all possible to get it out.

22. Hook Squawblow up, sounds like it was meant to be. I hope it works out for both of you.