Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Road to Great 8..My "31" sedan build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Trace Edwards, May 17, 2011.

1. Racewriter

Racewriter

The next big trend - un-ratting the rats.

2. It also says this;
    no articles may be written about the build project
    and my understanding is that includes internet postings.

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

He'd also have to un-chop the roof about 3" to match the photo of the early version of the Lil' Coffin. Honestly, when I look at the artists renderings, I like what I see, and I think its going to be impressive. Love the dash. But unless he has some pretty major changes planned for the stance, its a bit of a stretch to call this car a traditional '50s build.

Hey, at least its not Zed at the firewall...

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Now THATS a trend I like the sound of!!

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Not a whitewall or even a custom guy....but that car rules!

6. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

x2 :d

7. I love the concept art, I hope he can continue to share but from what I know of the Ridler he may not be able to go into detail until it is done

8. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

I would somehow delete this thread or have Ryan delete this until you find out for sure the details of the rules.

9. Django

Django
    from Chicago

The rendering has the the body about 6" higher in regard to the rear tire, and that's a good thing!

Look forward to whatever progress you are allowed to share. Pretty exciting! Best of luck!!

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Good point, didnt notice that

11. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

The new wheel placement of the rendering is one of the first things I noticed and liked about it.

12. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

I went to SoCal Speedshop about two years ago. While taking the shop tour, I
    snapped some pictures and caught some, of a ride that they were building.
    The guy told me not to show those to anyone! He was real nice about it,
    but I got the message. It was slatted to go to a big show, and now I know
    why he was concerned.. I thought it was just a shop secret at first..

13. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Don't Delete this just yet..Just heard some news.. Trace will elaborate..

14. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

For sure. :D

iPhone - TJJ App

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Hell, I couldn't even see that skinny little line till I put my reading glasses on!

16. Trace Edwards

Trace Edwards

Alright, first thing- I would like to say thank you to all the supportive and concerned Hambers. I heard you guys are tight knit-THANK YOU!

I called Bob Millard General Manager of ISCA the judging organization in charge of the Detroit Autorama. I explained to him that the goal is to build the car and be judged/awarded Great 8 classification, from which, Ridler is picked from. I am not going for Ridler-that would add an additional $0 to the build cost.

I explained to Bob that I am going to have this thread following the build and that no part would be shown in it's finished state, and that no part will be seen assembled with other components in their finished state.

Example: I will show the shock towers or the kustom made nerf bar by Dean Jeffries up to block sanded copper state. To see the finished items you would have to see it at the show fully assembled.

Bob reported "that is exactly the way to stay within the rules and get awareness".

I will be meeting with Bob first of the year to discuss final details to get it on the floor in Detroit.

Now on with the post!

17. Trace Edwards

Trace Edwards

Rick, the design ideology and components are all part of a traditional hot rod. Other then the transmission and rear end there are no parts newer then "61"- 99.9% Ford/Mercury (also, except all the hand made pieces).

It might also help to know that this car will employ a sufficient amount of techniques employed when building traditional kustoms. (there's the T word again). The rendering shown is for paint theme only, and I will be showing additional renderings of specific parts/concepts throughout the year.

As for "squashed"-I like the look of a heavy chop!
    Some guys we all call legends, all tell me the same thing-"we did what we did cause that's what we knew-we were thinking out of the box, don't do it exactly as I did -ADD to it if it looks goods. I like it.

As for "snake belly low". I like skipping across the asphalt/salt at a high rate of speed (hence the 5 speed and 2:75 gears, 400ft lbs. & 390 horse).
    If that's just me, I'm cool with it. Once the car completes a tour of indoor/outdoor shows in 2012 I am blowing the doors off this bitch till I die!

18. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Way too cool. Been in a shop where Ridler caliber cars are built....serious stuff. Fun to do but VERY taxing. I will follow this til the end.

19. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

good to hear your within bounds,keepin an eye on this.gooood luck:D

20. Take from a Hamber who has -been there-done that-, when it comes to the Ridler.

Have Ryan delete this thread and go back to your garage and build your car for competition in the Great 8. Keep it under wraps until Detroit time.
    Bob Millard will not steer you wrong, but there are so many other politics and drama around the selection of the Great 8 that the internet exposure of your car will surely disqualify it from the competition.

21. Listen to him^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And to whittle down his response, you will be stepping on dicks and pissing folks off at your own expense.

22. U.K.ROADSTER

U.K.ROADSTER
    from Birmingham

I'm with ya mate. You lot and your over channeled ,5' high spring perches, SBC with smoke stacks, "tail dragging" Rods that are self proclaimed "traditional" ? Rubbish.

23. I think it looks great. Ill be keeping an eye on this one.

24. I like it. I'll be watching to see what happens.

25. heywacha

heywacha
    from Orange, CA

Hey Trace, we've talked about this car.... I'm really lookin' forward to seeing your progress...

26. Trace Edwards

Trace Edwards

Hey mate, the pictures your are looking at of the car is in it' "as was" state, the renderings are paint scheme only. Nowhere in any of my words have I said I was building a "traditional " hot rod, only that the parts I incorporated stem from a car built from between 59-60, with no parts being newer then "60" and all parts being Ford/Mercury.

The NEW motor is a 292 Y-block, stroked with a steel 312 crank, enlarged valves-flowed and port matched heads, it rounds out at 400ft. lbs and 390 horsepower. It has an original Eddie Edmunds tri-carb manifold with Strombergs with louvered air cleaners.

No proclaiming here hoss! Please, if you don't like it, don't follow the thread, don't look at it and don't infect it with your unwanted/unwarranted comments.

Thank you.

27. roxndoxn

roxndoxn

Is this car still being built?? Would love to see some more pics...

28. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I'm not sure whats going on with at this point.. I'll have him comment onit when he gets back from SEMA..

29. Butch/1

Butch/1
    from Dublin ,Va

Doug Coopers Riddler winner, built by Alan Johnson was in Street Rodder in bare metal a long time before Detroit Autorama.

30. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I was thinking about this build the other day. Good to see it back up on top.

How's the build coming along, Trace?