Register now to get rid of these ads!

sanding down paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by its a classic, May 14, 2011.

1. ssk875

ssk875
    BANNED
    from Buffalo

Strippers work well but only small areas at a time and tends to make a huge mess. From my experiencethe best way to get down to bare metal is 36 or even 24 grit on a DA but lock the head of the DA so its single action and pretty much a grinder. Works the best that ive seen so far. Doesnt tear down into the metal but can be used to smooth out high spots. Epoxy primer afterwards is one of the best bases for fillers and paint as well but can be tricky to mix

2. Badhabit

Badhabit

Here's a picture of the result of a 30 minutes with a razor blade. I also use a Hyde scraper that you can find at a home center in the wallpaper removal area. They have about a three inch blade. On the right paint, you can go smokin' fast! Notice the paint pieces on the floor.

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I can't see anything, so it must have really taken it all off!

4. some paints work well with a razor blade some dont, im stripping the paint off my wifes 49 caddy right now with a variable speed buffer, and 40 and 80 grit discs for it. it goes fast.

5. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Razor blades work well, Im stripping my 51 now w 80 grit disc and wire wheels for the tight areas. I stripped alot of my 54 years ago with aircraft stripper. Here is the prob with them, it was told to me by my good friend (long time hotrodder) whos worked for Boeing Aerospace (25yrs) and has used all these chemicals ontop of spraying all radar absorbants paints and dealing with things we all never get to see. If you use chemicals like aircraft stripper dont get it in the overlaps and seams. Basically taped them off and do the big flat areas as there parts in the chemicals that after they dry can re-activate when new paint is applied. It makes contact with the dried up stripper in the seams and can reek havic with your new paint job. Now this is not always the case but its a def possibility!! Have fun...I feel your pain but its gotta go to the metal in my case!

6. jimcaf

jimcaf
    from san diego

I use a sander/polisher with 36 grit stick it on a 8" disk softpad

7. Badhabit

Badhabit

It appears this site doesn't like my new 10 megapixel camera? The images are too large in file size I'm guessing. (around 2.7 mb?) I'm hoping there's something I can do to adjust my images. I had no trouble with the 5 meg camera.

8. superchargedill

superchargedill

Make your pictures VGA quality or about 640 x 480 and they'll come through fine

9. Badhabit

Badhabit

Ok, I think I got the picture to load. This car was painted twice before and the last layer is on the floor. This quarter panel took about 30 minutes with my razor blade tools.

Blade1.jpg

10. Badhabit

Badhabit

Here's the same car several days later. All paint removed with blades of one sort or another. Vinyl top is gone also.

razor2.jpg

11. Badhabit

Badhabit

Here's one of my favorite scrapers for large areas. I think the brand is Hyde.

razor3.jpg

12. I stripped down this entire '36 banjo rear end

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Using just 2 of these

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ!!!

13. thehazguy

thehazguy

Learn a lot of things on the HAMB. Once I read this I ran downstairs at 11:30 PM and tried it out. It worked great. Went to Home Depot and got $18.00 of blades, holders and a scraper. Here's a picture of some of the work.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  14. its a classic

its a classic
    from montana

I stripped down this entire '36 banjo rear end

thats sweet! ive never seen a banjo rear end before. is it like a posi? and what is it a 36 chevy?