Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects the oil pan is hitting my crossmember in my 460 swap in my 1958 ford.. help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by luvzccr, May 18, 2011.

1. luvzccr

luvzccr

hey guys i really need some insight.
    im putting a 460 c6 engine into my 58 ford. i got the swap kit from Crites restoration which came with the crossmember and motor mounts.

the engine is out of a 77 ford f250.

yesterday i spent hours at my grandmas getting everything ready and i got it dropped in but it wouldnt fit all the way, i thought the tranny was hitting.

so i had my dad come over today and help me out and he noticed the oil pan *which is a front sump* is hitting my crossmember in the engine compartment. i took some photos, HOPING someone out there can shed some light.

im friends with a guy on facebook from alaska whose doing the same swap as me, everything fit perfect for him! except his motor is from a 72 lincoln. i was wondering, should i get an oil pan from an early lincoln maybe?? i come within an inch of getting the motor into the slots, but the oil pan is preventing me from pushing it back any further.

fellow hambers, help me out please, here are some pics, they're pretty huge i think, i didnt have time to resize them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

hard to tell from the pictures how much its hitting...could you relief the pan a little and it would do the job? or much more than that?

3. Did you contact Crites? What do they say?

4. luvzccr

luvzccr

everything crites sent me seems correct actually, the mounts and crossmember, its the actual oil pan itself thats causing the problem. i think this might be a good enough picture to show you. maybe ill call crites later and see what they say, but last time i called them the lady was super mean to me,

its the oil pan hitting against the crossmember, and the mounts just an inch away from the slots. everything would be perfect if that oil pan were just a little shorter or something.

[​IMG]

5. luvzccr

luvzccr

thats a pic from the driver side^^ looks the same on the passenger too

6. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

just call up crites and ask them what oil pan you need to run for that mount kit. they should have an answer for you.

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

ahh..ok quite a bit to alter the pan for, unless you have no choice.

any possiblity that engine mount is backwards or for the opposite side? I know it says "front" on it..but people make mistakes

just for arguement sake..I know nothing about this conversion..so im just running with common questions

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  8. Gerrys

Gerrys

Have you tried swapping the mount form side to side? I relize that they are labled front, But may have been mislabled.

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

yeah, what he said:rolleyes:

10. Gerrys

Gerrys

Oops, should of refreshed before posting.

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

ahahaha its ok , I was just razing ya..its moving slow today:D

12. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

Agree - looks to be on the wrong side or mounted to the engine backwards.......?

13. TatMatt

TatMatt

Ford made at least 3 different oil pans for the 460.
    Front, mid and rear oil pick-up.

14. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Mine fit good with the Crites stuff. Even with an earlier deeper pan, I can't see
    mine right now. Hope it works out. I bet that f250 pan is different.

15. hotedsel

hotedsel
    from torrance

[​IMG]

[​IMG]. In my 1958 edsel I used a oil pan from a 1971 ford t-Bird. With a 429 the easel has a 557 now .

16. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Are you guys looking at the same pictures I'm looking at?

Clearly, even if the mount was reversed, the pan is still sitting on the cross member. The mount is at least an inch above the frame location the mount is suppose to bolt to.

I think I would look into swapping the oil pan and oil pan pickup tube that fits the "new" pan. I suspect the truck pan you now have is deeper and has more capacity, or a different sump location then the pan you need.

The company that sold you your kit should have listed which oil pan was needed with their kit. I would also inform them that you will post their response and attitude on the HAMB for 150,000 of your friends to know how they treat their paying customers. It will, and should, have an effect on their future business. Gene

17. luvzccr

luvzccr

to the guys who suggested swapping the motor mounts to different sides, yup! did that! my dad suggested it and i took them off, tried it, didnt work, then i tried swiveling around the little piece with the words "front" on it, that didnt work either. but like another hamber said, even if i did that, the oil pan would still be hitting regardless...

ill have to call them tomorrow on my day off. even the facebook friend from alaska said that when he called Crites about his custom headers for his 460 58 swap, that the gal was awfully rude to him and gave him an attitude, not to mention it took me 2 months to recieve my order..
    but even i know it takes time to make this stuff, so its understandable.

but yeah i was thinking maybe the 77 f250 had a different oil pan than other 460's out there.. i'll look into a thunderbird with a 429 maybe, if anyone has a 57 or 58 ford with this swap, can i request some photos of your oil pan? or at least some measuremants of how long that sump is of yours?

thanks a load for the help and the advice guys!! i really appreciate it

18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

When you find a different pan, get the matching pump pickup. It will likely differ from what you have.

19. luvzccr

luvzccr

found this on ebay:

[​IMG]

it says its for 68-78 429/460 passenger cars, and NOT TRUCKS OR VANS. its a front sump, and the sump itself looks a LOT smaller than the one on mine.. and it appears like it'll clear my crossmember. 32 bucks, 17 to ship it. might just order it if this is what i need..

[​IMG]

my pan is pretty big compared to the one on ebay^^

20. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

truck pans were diffrent from car pans. use a car pan and it should work. get the pick up tube from the same application as the pan.

21. 59Custom300

59Custom300

I believe trucks have a different pan, it's been a while since I've fooled with 385 series motors so my memory may be a little off. BTW, Crites is kind of a pain to deal with. He figures he's the only guy making this stuff so he tends to treat his customers poorly. They've been that way for years.

22. luvzccr

luvzccr

yeah ive been googling since i got home earlier about truck oil sump pans and passenger car ones. guess they are different :/ im hoping that one on ebay is the correct one i need. i dont wanna order it unless i know for sure that's the correct one. does that look correct to anyone else running a 460 in their fairlane?

23. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

Great to see you working on your ford !

24. 73RR

73RR

If the pics are half-way accurate then the ebay pan sump looks alot smaller. The price sounds pretty cheap. Cut the beer and pizza for next weekend and buy the parts.

Now, if hotedsel will tell us just a little bit about his 557...

25. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Must use the pass car oil pans for this. I had to go the other direction,...Putting a 351W in my 72 F100. Ford to Ford swaps are great, because so many items willl mix n match. Let's hear how this works out !!!
    4TTRUK

26. luvzccr

luvzccr

sweet! well im gonna go ahead and order that oil pan then off ebay, the sooner i get it, the better, hopefully i can return it if it doesnt work, but ill be optimistic :)

27. Fiddytree

Fiddytree
    from Durango

It looks like you need a double hump (mustang type) pan. Call Crites and ask. It a matter of getting the correct pan and pickup, imo.

28. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

i just MIGHT have a car pan for a 429-460. i will be cleaning out the unclaimed parts room this weekend and getting rid of alot of stuff. if I find a car pan I will let you know.

29. luvzccr

luvzccr

well i got the oil pan i ordered off ebay this past week.. the moment i got it, i drove to my grandmas and got to work on it, just a few hours before a long 8 hour shift of getting carts at my job ha. got the oil pan on their, and bam...... the 460 slid right into place, motor mounts fit perfectly and everything. as soon as it slid in, i got like... this HUGE rush, and a flash of images ran through my head, of my 58 on the road finally, driving after years of sitting there. never felt that before!

so now i guess the hard part is done, right? after months of having the motor on the engine stand, cleaning it, cleaning the firewall and chasis, getting the mounts and crossmember, i got it in there. now what? getting everything together to get it started, all that good stuff? i think, and hope, im on the downhill side of the mountain now! im optimistic it'll be smooth sailing :)

30. chopped 35

chopped 35
    from australia

pan is different for sure, the 77 f series pan you have is at least an inch or two longer in the deep part of the pan before it starts to slope upward towards the rear of the motor. the car type pan is shorter in this area. hope that helps.......:D:D:D