Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've riden in those slings from Wisconsin to Yakota Japan... not very comfortable... so on the ride home I rode in the SUV we were bringing back for a General!

2. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

3. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

4. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

5. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

6. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

7. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

8. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

What a great player! Hit 40 or more homers 8 times in his career, second only to Babe Ruth. Always hated to see him come to Fenway. :D

9. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Island-hopping anyone? Great fun, compliments of the Axis powers!

These photos are in the U.S. National Archives and are THANKS to a great site
    called simply "The History Place." We've got Memorial Day and Veterans Day,
    but it's good ANY day to remember those who gave a piece of their lives to go
    and battle naked aggression, wherever and whenever. THANKS, vets! That
    goes for Yanks, Ausies, Kiwis and every other grunt by ANY nickname! :):cool::D

[​IMG]

Mopping up on Bougainville, a tank goes forward as infantrymen follow
    in its cover. Each night the Japanese would infiltrate American lines.
    At dawn, U.S. troops went out looking for them. March 1944.

Pauljrestomod97 likes this.
  10. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Looking as if he could use a beer, a cigarette and a good night's
    sleep, this marine survivor emerges after two days and nights of hell
    on the beach of Eniwetok in the Marshall Islands, February 1944

[​IMG]

Trying to launch a fish against the might USS Yorktown, a Japanese torpedo
    bomber tastes salt water after a direct hit by a five-inch shell, in action off
    Kwajalein, December 4, 1943.

11. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

During the Marianas Turkey Shoot, June 1944, a Japanese rookie learns the hard
    way how not to approach the USS Kitkun Bay.

[​IMG]

A macabre vestige of the Tapel Massacre of July 1, 1945. Pedro Cerono, the man who
    discovered the group of 8 skulls, is shown here Nov. 3, 1945. Using terror as a tool of
    subjugation, the Japanese occupiers of the Philippines executed many civilians, as they
    did elsewhere. This photo was taken for the U.S. Army Signal Corps by Lewis D. Klein
    at Tapel in Cagayan Province, Luzon Island, Phillipines.

12. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em! While mopping up on Peleliu, Marine Pfc. Gerald Churchby,
    left, and his buddy Pfc. Douglas Lightheart, who cradles his 30-cal. machine gun in his
    lap. September 14, 1944. Yup, in this case, happiness (or at least security) is a warm
    gun! :cool:

[​IMG]

"There he is!" :mad: A member of the Marine 1st Division draws a bead on a Japanese sniper
    with his tommy-gun as his companion ducks for cover while his division works to take
    Wana Ridge before the town of Shuri, Okinawa. The ferocious hand to hand fighting
    on Okinawa resulted in 12,281 Americans and 110,000 Japanese killed by June 21, 1945.
    The suicidal dedication of the Japanese defenders indicated an invasion of Japan itself
    would be costly, with 500,000 to a million potential Allied casualties projected. Whoa!

Many MORE at:
    Battle Photos
    www.historyplace.com/unitedstates/pacificwar/index.html

13. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

Depends on who you ask;)

14. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

15. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

16. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]
    Photo THANKS to Legacy.com

Harmon Killebrew! Saying his name aloud just had the ring of power!

"Kille," as teammate Tony Oliva nicknamed him, did in the '60s what the Mick, the Duke and that "Say-Hey!" fella had done in the '50s. He was a true giant in a tough pro sport -- and a real gentlemen to boot! Killebrew led the American League in home runs six times and in RBIs three times, and he was named to 11 All-Star teams. He hit the most home runs for any player in the 1960s. His many other astounding records defy adequate description, so I'll leave stats to others with more energy than I. LOL! I'll just say . . .

He was -- and will always be -- one of my heroes.

[​IMG]
    THANKS to NewsObserver

Career hitting statistics <TABLE style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" class=wikitable><TBODY><TR><TH></TH><TH>Games</TH><TH>At bats</TH><TH>Runs</TH><TH>Hits</TH><TH>2B</TH><TH>3B</TH><TH>HR</TH><TH>RBI</TH><TH>BA</TH><TH>OBP</TH><TH>SLG</TH></TR><TR><TH>Totals</TH><TH>2435</TH><TH>8147</TH><TH>1283</TH><TH>2086</TH><TH>290</TH><TH>24</TH><TH>573</TH><TH>1584</TH><TH>.256</TH><TH>.376</TH><TH>.509</TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

[​IMG]
    THANKS to BleacherReport.com

"The Killer was one of the most feared sluggers in baseball history, but he was also one of the nicest people ever to play the game. He was one of the few players who would go out of his way to compliment umpires on a good job, even if their calls went against him. I'd call a tough strike on him and he would turn around and say approvingly, 'Good call.' And he was the same way in the field. And he never did this to get help on close plays, as some players do. The man hit 573 major league home runs and no umpire ever swung a bat for him." -- Ron Luciano

[​IMG]
    Idaho boy makes good! Photo THANKS to the Washington Post.

[​IMG]
    THANKS to EveryJoe.com

Thanks for the memories, #3

... and for the inspiration to the boy in me!

17. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

the merrit Parkway is still there and its one heckuva dangerous drive on it. Trucks/trailers cannot ravel on it; only cars and its mainly used for boston/ct traffic to and from NYC. Everyone drives like animals on it andthe speed limit is only 60 at most in spots...the norm is 80 - 90mph. Its a very pretty highway, two lanes both ways. Pretty tunnels and beautiful crafted bridges. These photos are so beautiful. It shows just how well kept and how beautiful a drive it really was on the Merritt. Its not as well kept nowadays and you better hope you can keep up with the other idiots. The entrance ramps are still the same. short, tight turns that bring you right to the edge of the parkway to a stop sign. if you get the chance to go you better GO!

in recent years a tree fell on a car and killed a couple from new york so now people are requesting trees along the merritt be cut down for safety reasons. they are also widening the shoulder by 8 feet in many spots because there is no place to pull over. back in the day it was common for people to stop and picnic along the Merritt so there is beautiful places to pull off and stop for a break. these spots were incorporated into the design.

here is a website dedicated to the merritt. it truly is a treasure.

http://merrittparkway.org/

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  18. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Here are some cool pix from the Rio Grand Vintage Vehicle club site. :cool: If any of these are dupes
    to previous posts, please PM me & I'll remove to keep from cluttering the thread. :p Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

20. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

21. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

I'll bet there's at least a HAMBer or two who would trade their first born for this sedan-delivery in THIS shape! :eek: Gotta love this photo. :cool:

22. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

This one puzzles me a bit. Kinda looks like a rally in the '50s ??? :confused: Is that Big Ben back there? :eek:

23. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

24. GrizzGang

GrizzGang
    from D/FW

In the top picture looks like there is fixen to be crash. Look over the back of the car. When and where were these pics taken?

25. 4woody

4woody

[​IMG]

John Howard land speed record.
    152.2 mph.
    On a bicycle @ Bonneville.

26. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

With all respect for a logical question, I JUST DON'T KNOW.:eek: Everything else in the frame is static. Assuming an exposure of 1/60th-sec (or less), that car was in motion. BUT, it wouldn't take much at that shutter speed to blur the image, even if the driver were laying on the brakes.

27. May have been backing up since the car in front is stopped.

28. "I say Percy, is your seat vibrating yet?"
    "Not yet Reggie."
    "Well you've cocked-up another..."
    "...oh bugger!"
    "When we get home dear boy!"

29. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

No disrespect intended but there is a bit of a resemblance between your avatar and the guy on the front of the bike........

30. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

So BMX started in the 70's eh? Apparentlly not and they were doin' it with a sidehack to boot!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.