Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 cadillac power seat repair question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cookiemonster131, May 13, 2011.

1. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

When I hit the button on the 56 caddy front seat the seat motors run but they don't move the seaty besides the bottom back up and down. It will not move it forward or backwards. What's involved in the fix. I assume it is a screw drive motor system and something is broke or out of adjustment but I wanted to ask before I got digging into it.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

2. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

3. KaddyKimber

KaddyKimber
    from Denver, CO

I'd like to know on this too. I have a '58 with a similar problem. I found out the seat will go forward but not back, and the back of the seat doesn't work.

4. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

yeah at least my motors work... i am sure i can figure it out but i would like some knowledge before tearing my seat out and going at it :)

5. Try rebuilding the switch first. There seems to be two contacts, motor and transmission. If both don't hit, the seat won't move.

I have to push the switch on mine own hard for this reason.

Cosmo

6. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

but when i move the switch each way the motor turns on it is just doesnt move...

7. rld14

rld14

You guys might have two different problems..

Kimber, sounds like you might have a bad switch.

Cookiemonster, sounds like you have a shot seat transmission, these are often like window regulators, motor is fine, regulator is shot. These are little gear reduction transmissions that mve the seats, the gears inside are what go bad, also on some years the torque of use can damage the cases themselves.

Usually when they go, the motor works but the seat does not move, in Kimber's case her transmission is probably OK from the sounds of it since it still moves the seat but she's got a bad switch.

8. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

yeah that was what i was thinking was whatever trasnfered the power the gears must be out of alignment or broke... i was more hoping for an alignment issue. anyway you know of to get new gears or rebuild the trasnmission?

9. rld14

rld14

Not too sure on a 56 where to get em, but the usual suspects (Caddy Parts houses) probably have em or have used ones.

Did you try yanking the trans out of the seat yet and giving it a look see?

10. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

no not yet, i was trying to get an idea of where to start. i didnt want to take the seat out and everything and then realize it was an adjustment of a worm gear i could have done in the car... you know?

11. lohari

lohari
    from Finland

I have a broken switch in my '56 Cadillac. Actually only missing some internal parts but I believe they are rare as hen's teeth to find.

My switch does not look like any other Caddy switch I've seen. Is it original? Do You know if any newer Caddy switches would fit the '56 circuit board? They all seem to have different contact pin patterns for different years.

Some photos attached:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  12. tom heath

tom heath
    from Enid, Ok.

every thing is just a gess untel you take the seat out there are several things that can go wrong unfortuly that is the heaveyest of all the power seats you will need young strong help.

13. silentpoet

silentpoet
    from NWA

14. KaddyKimber

KaddyKimber
    from Denver, CO

Hmm, sounds like I might be lucky. I guess I just need to pull the door panel off and try to get at the switch and check all of the wiring. There were a lot of mice in the car and they might have nibbled on a wire or 3. I hope I don't have to pull the whole seat out until it's ready to go to get the interior done, but I have a feeling I won't be so lucky.

15. you shouls be able to have somebody activate the switch with you down on the floor and listen where sound is coming from. unbolt the seat for better access.

16. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

okay update guys, i finally got mine out and it turned out the solenoids that turn on and off on the screw drive shaft, 1 of those was bad. sadly i cannot find a replacement or rebuild it. I took it all apart set the seat where i needed it and reinstalled it... Sadly this is the only option right now. I will try to find a parts seat later.

17. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Kimber...the seat wiring does not run thru the doors...don't bother pulling the panels...all the wiring runs along the floor, to the kick panel.

Get some help and pull the seat...it's heavy but it's the only way you can clean it all up.

R-