Register now to get rid of these ads!

Arizonians: Where do you work on stuff?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Badhabit, May 14, 2011.

1. Badhabit

Badhabit

Later this year I will be relocating from Michigan to Anthem, Arizona. While I have never been to Anthem (my better have is there now), I have spent some time around Gilbert, Scottsdale, etc. Seems there are mostly housing/gated communities that don't lend themselves to shops and pole barns "round back, etc" which makes me wonder where everyone works on thier cars. I leaving behind my 96' shop and two garages in the country and need to come up with a plan fairly quickly. Should I be looking at renting commercial space maybe near Glendale? I don't want to be too far from Anthem.

Then there is the issue of moving tools and cars, oh my!

Any insite would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. ahawes

ahawes

I lived in Tucson for a few years so I can't really attest to what it's like in Anthem but the space rental is always a possibility and it sounds like it is probably your most viable one for now. There are a ton of lots that can be picked up for dirt cheap just outside if the towns out there should your situation allow you to do something like that. The bigger issue there may be the construction of a shop and getting power to it though.

3. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Almost all of the gated communities wont allow our kind of work, I kow I live in one, That being said there are places that sell or rent spaces. Very expensive from what I have seen. Google auto shop space, may help also I have seen ads in the local paper. Good luck, maybe you should of looked before moving to Anthem

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

If you haven't bought yet in Anthem, you might think twice about it. yes housing prices are cheap up there, but it's is a pretty long drive from even the Glendale area you are talking about. I find that allot of people moving from the east and midwest freak out just a bit when they realize just how big this city is. If you look more to the down town areas in Phoenix and Glendale especially, you will find not only some cool mid century architecture, but larger lots and neighborhoods much more friendly to our kinda hobby. The outer edges of the metro area are almost completely ringed by newish housing developements that are so restrictive that I feel it sometimes boarders on comunism. Plus, by moving into the city core, you will spend lots less on gas. By example, if you bought in Anthem and worked in downtown Phoenix, your one way commute will be right at thirty miles complete with L.A style traffic both morning and evening. just stuff to think about.

5. 23reotim

23reotim
    from arizona

i would also avoid Anthem. Housing in the city is getting reasonable, and if you buy an older place, no HOA on your ass.

6. squirrel

squirrel

I live in a rural area outside a small city in southeast AZ (sierra vista), 4 acres, I can do pretty much whatever I want here.

Big cities suck.

7. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

if you're gonna be in anthem there are a ton of commercial shop type garages for rent around the I-17 and deer valley area which is gonna be closer than glendale.

8. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Anthem and other gated/association communities are specifically made for non-car people, unless you're a late model Corvette/lawn chair/California Car Duster type. They are very punitive to car people, fining you for doing an oil change, leaving a car parked in front of the house overnight, project car sometimes even if it's in the garage, and so on. You will not be very happy there, I'd suggest having a realtor find you a nice house in a well-kept non-association neighborhood that already has a shop built on the property. Same price or less, and no shop rental fee where there is always the chance of crooks breaking in and taking your stuff. There are a huge number of nice houses for sale in PHX now, you can find whatever you want.

-KK

9. need louvers will tell you, that drive from Anthem to Glendale will get old, real fast. Deer Valley would be much more feasable. I used to have a home in Surprise, and I know the area well. { I think you mean your better " half " }.

10. 61bone

61bone

for some of us, it is a better have. If I didn't have mine, i would probably be a homeless bum

11. And in addition, watch what the city codes are and their enforcement. We bought 2 1/2 acres in east Mesa, that is horse property and we were "county". Our small subdivision had 13 one acre tracts, ours was bigger as it was owned by the developer. There had been several attempts by the city to annex us in and was soundly defeated each time. Anyway, everyone was happy till the 202 loop started to come thru, buying up houses and razing them. In the process the desert to the west and s & n west was bought up by developers and turned in to low income cracker box cookie cutter homes on 70x100 foot lots. In the process the developers convinced the buyers that they needed "City Protection" and each prop owner had a vote for annexition and the developer convinced the city to include us, so that we would not be a "County Island" and that was not good so the city agreed and expanded to include us, we all voted no but 13 against 300 plus lost. So we became part of the City being told that all was "Grandfathered in" and no changes would be required. I have a 42x60 shop still on the ground that was approved by the county to be built, had started the land prep and was stopped by the city. It met all county codes but will never be built because its too big big and tall for city subdivisions and they will not issue a new "City" building permit. NO EXCEPTIONS!! We told them we had been told buy the city officials that it would be "Grandfathered" and could continue. Now I have had vehicles on the rear of this prop since we bought it. 30 days after annexation, the City Nazis, were knocking on our door and issued a notice that any vehicle that could seen from a city street must be registered, licensed and insured or removed and we had 30 days to come into compliance!! We advised them that we had been told we were "Grandfathered" They stated that whomever had told us that was incorrect and not from their division, who had juristiction!! They advised that "Grandfathering" only applied to the orig prop owner back in 1922 and the prop had been sold several times so it did not apply!! You know what, they were right!! So to save what I had, I spent the next 2+ plus weeks in 105-110 heat building an 8 foot fence around our prop. The shop is still on the ground, the city will approve it for a barn for the horses tho and if built will do an occasional, unanounced inspection to insure it is only being used as a barn for horses and ranch equip. NOT Auto useage!! They dont even like my 24x30 shop that was on the prop when purchased, that I use now, they are concerned that I will use it as a commercial auto shop. So, how do like them apples? The shits!! I apoligize for the rant, just wanted to be informitive.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  12. Badhabit

Badhabit

Yes, better "half" thanks!

13. Badhabit

Badhabit

We haven't purchased a home yet but are leasing and may buy it in a few years, it's close to my wifes job, hence the location. She's been there about a month now. I think I'll be forced to rent "something" for the car stuff at least until I can learn the area better. Maybe I can partner commercial space with other guys? As for my commute, I don't have a job yet (in Arizona) so I can't evaluate that.

Thanks everyone!

14. Badhabit

Badhabit

Sounds good, I'll look in that area. Thanks!

15. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Newriver is the place to be check it out

16. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

You will believe you have died and gone to suburban Hell living in Anthem. New River is two miles north and you will have land, no HOA, and won't have to rent workspace. If I had to live up there that's where I'd be. If you have a choice, pick downtown Phoenix or Glendale.

17. Mike

Mike

Anthem = Stepford.

18. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Don't bother living anywhere you won't find happiness. It ain't worth it.

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Good catch Nick! I didn't even think about New river... Hell, that's where I would be if the increadible miss Judy wasn't already making a 30 mile one way drive to work in Chandler. And yes, gated communities here are weasle filled hell spots fit strictly for owners of S.U.V.s and little white four door sedans... How the hell do people live like that?!?!

20. " Suburban Hell ", " Stepford ", that's just funny, true, but funny. Anthem will still be there.................. for when you turn about 80.

21. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

And even then I wouldn't want to live there...

It really does seem like stepford. Its fucking weird up there, anyplace where people "buy" into a "community" bullshit. Lets make 34,342 rules to keep the grass cut straight, oil stains off the driveways, and not let anyone make noise. Sounds like a real blast... I've heard however, that Anthem is the wife swapping capitol of the Southwest, so it does have that going for it.

Enough of my rant...
    Go a couple miles north or south of Anthem and you'll have some land, space between your house and the ones next to you, and no by-laws about well... anything.

22. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

If you swap, do you have to trade back?

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I think that's part of the deal... With my former female, that would have made me an indian giver...

24. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Another option is Rainbow Valley halfway between Old Avondale and Buckeye no HOA's out there,there are several large buildings off Miller Road & Monroe that were former shops and it is my understanding that the City of Buckeye is giving tax breaks to new business setting up shop in the old downtown area.

25. Then theres always Whittman for a shop. I tell you this though, watch out for stray bullets. All of my old Arizona buddies all go there whenever they get a new handgun or rifle to break them in.

26. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

i didnt even think about new river, much better choice. new river is like anthem... minus the assholes, hoa, traffic, etc.

and just an example of how strict the anthem hoa is- i was doing work on a house up there and needed to repair a patio door screen, when i went to ace i asked the guy if i could return the tan screen if the color didnt match he says " it has to match, thats the only color screen the hoa approved, every house in anthem has that"

27. Buy down town is the only way togo then you are in the middle of everything, and there is tons of shop spaces for rent or sale or buy a house with a garage in the back like I did. For me downtown has so much todo besides cars its the best. Just my two cents.

28. Badhabit

Badhabit

So, sounds like Anthem is not the place to be! And it must be bad if the wife swapping situation didn't even move it up the scale! Damn!

Anyway, to save peace with the little lady and the already signed lease in Anthem my plan now is to pack up my entire shop and cars in a storage locker here in Michigan and come and get it later. That way I can scope out the areas in Arizona, way my shop options, and then come and get it all later. It's not like I was going to move everything in one trip anyway.

Also, I'm really thinking that I'd like to share shop space in a commercial area with a few others. Not positive but at least something I'd look at. Then again if I stumble upon a place with a 3-5 car garage then that works too.

Thanks everyone!

29. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Man am I happy I live in Maine !

30. need louvers ?

need louvers ?