Register now to get rid of these ads!

Daily driver - should I?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53 hemi, Apr 9, 2011.

1. derpr

derpr

wow, you live on a boat. just like Don Johnson. wecome to the big easy and I would greyhound it back to new york for the car. it just sounds cooler then flying.

2. duck279

duck279
    from SC

Take a bus and go get your car and drive it back.

3. brad chevy

brad chevy

Take a bus back,you said you had $1500 to play with,don"t blow your money on an overpriced plane ticket.Take the bus and have plenty of backup cash for the roadtrip.

4. $1500 won't buy you a better car than what you have. people have not been buying new cars, they are keeping their old cars longer and it's driving the price of used cars up. around here that money buys you an embarrassing piece of chit.

5. 61 chevy

61 chevy

sounds like you are retired, so you can wash the salt air off weekly

6. 53 hemi

53 hemi

I wish I was retired! Unemployed like so many others. Moved down here for work. Well, maybe I wimped out. I've hired a transporter from the o'dex here to ship the car for me. His price is so close to what I figured it would cost me to bring it myself I really couldn't say no. He can't move it until May 16, so it's a waiting game. I'll post some photos and a shipper review when it arrives.

7. 53 hemi

53 hemi

Well, here she is. Ended up shipping it ( Bill's Auto transport, A++ ) for not much more than I figured to go up and drive back. Life is good!! Spent all day cruising around... can't believe I even had to think about this!

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      506.9 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      501.6 KB
      Views:
  8. 53 hemi

53 hemi

She's got a nice view

Attached Files:

• 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      510.4 KB
      Views:
  9. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Damn-it man ..... I missed the question . Nice ride .
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

10. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Nice! Sounds like you're living quite the adventure :)

11. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I'd make sure I had a good alarm system installed, or good insurance with ample replacement value, before I left it out too long. Take the rotor button off each night. The world is getting worse all the time. Don't want you losing your pride and joy as soon as you get her. Congrats.

12. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

You figured out a move across country
    but
    you can't figure out if you should drive an old car or not ?

Really?

13. aaggie

aaggie

You will need AC in New Orleans.

14. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

I typed to slow ,

I see you already have it ...

Looks good, enjoy !

15. flatoz

flatoz

I'm glad you did this, it will be another one of those scrapbook moments in life you will look back on and smile.

originally when you posted this thread I saw it and was going to post 'just do it' but then I didn't know all your concerns or issues you for saw. I daily drive my 55 olds super 88 and I can't even buy a thermostat gasket for that car in this country. So of course my reasoning was if I can do it you can too.

glad to see you have your car, it will make you known around the Marina thats for sure.

I don't know how safe that park is, but once people know its your car they will look out for it also a good alarm and lojack or so might be worth it if your truly worried it may get some unwanted attention.

Or just pull the rotor button when you park it.

16. 53 hemi

53 hemi

parking here is gated, and patrolled by a guard after hours. let's hope... as far as a.c. goes; cowl vent and wing windows. faster you go, cooler it gets!

I would like to make it a little more secure for the nights when I'm checking out the bands ( every night! ) but I'm not too sure how. Still - and forever will be - 6v so no lo-jack. first, I will add a little padlock to the hood latch. any ideas?

17. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

Get a decent alarm system. Get quick release for the steering wheel. And get low jack. Or just throw a big nast dog in the back and hope for the rest. Good luck.

18. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

haha I was thinking this too... might as well right?:rolleyes:

19. I think I got the worst end of the deal! I had to leave the car in the beautiful weather by the ocean & come back to Ohio! Just arrived after picking one up in Tulsa. Thanks for the business Ben & good luck with your new life!!
    Bill
    Bill's Auto Works

20. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Glad you decided to get it there.
    Honestly, i'd love to live on a boat, its one of those things ive been dreamin off since i was a kid.....but of course i would still drive an old car and have a garage/shop.
    Just one Q. not to sound like an a.hole, aint the red ram a little thirsty if you are on a budget?
    Looks great anyway, sweet cruiser.

21. fonti

fonti

good choice!
    Congratulations to your lifestyle, too!
    Maybe a car cover would not be a bad thing - but you have the coolest car in the parking lot, that's for sure - enjoy both of your toys!!

22. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Sounds like you're living the life. I did something similar back in '96. A few months after I moved to San Diego from Virginia I bought a 46 foot Chris Craft and lived on it for nearly two years. Great fun for sure, especially for a single guy.

23. Rebracer

Rebracer

I see your car made it down to the city great!

24. mickeyc

mickeyc

What marina are you staying at? Car theft is rampant here. Plan to ensure some security for your car. It is not the type usually stolen
    but just wanted you to be aware. I hate the fact that I feel compelled to warn people about New Orleans. It is a great city to me, but has the inner city problems that often find a way to effect outlying areas as well. The car culture here is alive and well, if some what laid back. Next Saturday
    is the cruise night at the Clearview Mall in Metairie. If the weather holds
    it will surly draw a nice turnout. Anyway welcome to the area and what are your plans for employment, if any?

25. And some water wings. :D

I'd drive it if it were mine. But only you know if it will make the trip or not or even if it is worthy of dailey use.

26. felix37

felix37

Go get it and drive the Hell out of it!

27. PR51

PR51

I'm with what somebody already said... Fly home and drive that badboy to N.O. You're adventurous enough to drop everything and sail from NY to LA... so why not drive your classic car down there? Take it slow and scenic, stock up on tools and spare parts... and enjoy the journey.

Feel free to get in touch with me, take the rides and grab a drink sometime, there isn't too many like us out here... Livin on a boat on the lake huh?? with your '53 sitting close by... you are living the dream baby.

28. oldblue1968chevy

oldblue1968chevy