Register now to get rid of these ads!

History retirement age

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tommyganly, May 16, 2011.

1. Is that 3wLarry?

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. 61bone

61bone

There'll be new cruise spots somewhere.
    I quit working couple years ago. Gonna retire when I quit breathing.

3. Dadstoy 2

Dadstoy 2

I retired once. Didn't like it. Maybe do it again in another 30 years. ( if we here after saturday)

4. 4woody

4woody

"Just to think I used to worry
    About things like that.
    I used to worry 'bout rich & skinny
    'till I ended up poor & fat"

5. Heo

Heo

And i just painted the hall today !!!! Damned waist of time
    and money

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Coulda been worse...you coulda painted the car in anticipation of a road trip...

R-

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Hmmm....I was planning a 3 day fishing trip over the weekend, but maybe I better stay home and drive all the cars one last time on the 20th. How come I'm just getting this news today?

8. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

I worked as a toolmaker and Oldsmobile (GM). When I was an apprentice a Journeyman painter told me he had worked 363 days the previous year. He only took Easter and Christmas off. Worked all the rest. Anyway, about 3 months later he was diagnosed with leukemia. My boss who started as an hourly Toolmaker before turning to Salary told me his son wouldn't come on trades because of all the hours he had worked. Said he missed his kids growing up. He then reminded me of the painter, pointed his finger at my face and said, "Make sure you retire a little bit everyday, because many of us won't make it by age." I always made sure we took vacations, as my Dad did with us and did retire, this year at 53 years old. I thank God that I did make it.

Don't wait until you retire to take that trip.
    Ps. This post has nothing to do with that post above rather a reflection on our own mortality.

Just my 2 cents.
    BKR

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

May 21, my baby brother's birthday, UMM, do I buy a card or wait to see what happens.

I think I'll just spend the day working on the 48 and not worry about the sky falling.

10. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Damn. I had plans to go to a local swap meet on the 21st

11. In the year 2525
    If man is still alive
    If woman can survive
    They may find
    There's nowhere to drive, whoa-a-whoa-ohhh</pre>
    http://youtu.be/WhNM2K8cmU8

12. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Dang, i better tell the wife about this......then go spend all our money on some car parts I need. Can't take it with us!

13. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

You're funny :)

14. Anyone planing a Meet & Greet after the big event,,on second thought maybe 2 Meet & Greets,,one at the front entrance to The Good Lords place and the other at the Fire & Brimstone extended stay,,'Ol Nick's place! :confused: HRP

15. 73super

73super

Told the Lord I don't want "streets of gold".. I want asphalt.. Don't want "a Mansion in Glory".. just a shop with a loft.. working on my rides 24/7.. now that would be heaven.

Lot of negativity on this thread.. Take it from an ol' partier (I mean PARTIER).. if I can live through that (I turn 51 on the 27th).. then the world can surely be resilient enough for anything WE throw at it.

To the "kid" who asked if there will be any places left to cruise.. 50 years goes by in a blink.. route 66 will still be there as well as a lot of the other spots around the country. Classics will still be around, gas will still be around.. not to worry.. it's all good!... just my 2 cents.

Later.

16. tommyganly

tommyganly
    from seaford de

i herd on the radio coming to work this morning that the world is supposed to end this Saturday. :eek:

17. Define retirement age first. I am currently on the second retirement the first was when I was 50 and I am now 56. Neither was by choice mind you. The Ol' Man retired when he was 78.

There is a big push to reclaim the remaining Route 66. I doubt that it will become shopping malls and sub divisions because what remains isn't what you would call prime property, but you just never know. Hell we could still have a Nuclear Holocaust by the time you retire.

18. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

Billetproof MI on the 21st. :)

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  19. Lets see, the............... 21st...............Na the world can't end, we'll all be at Eagle Field!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Yea so it looks bad for you? I was hoping for a big B-Day bash this year being the most popular man on the HAMB, you know wine women song maybe a pretty fast car from one of the really fast car guys. Now thw world ends in may and my B-day isn't 'til june.

Ok fellas its on you got 5 days to get it together for you last chance to give the 'beaner the best B-day ever. :D

21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Shucks, goin' early to Eagle Field. Oh well, at least I'll go doin' what I like!

Takin' my lovely young wife with me. I ain't "goin alone"!

22. squirrel

squirrel

Out west the old rte 66 is still pretty desolate.

Anyone else going out for some post-rapture looting?

Some guys are gonna put little piles of clothes out that night....should be fun

23. This could jinx the whole thing but I have survived everything else I'll probably survive that also.

I think its funny Kansas City is haveing a week long earthquake rediness deal this week. They think that the New Madrid fault is going to shake and knock KC down. The fault is clear on the other side of the state abut a 5-6 hour drive from here. :rolleyes:

That said I grew up in earthquake country, I aint skert.

24. Can the end please wait until Jalopy Showdown is over I have been waiting for it to get here since last year.

25. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I work for someone hauling milk. The guy hasn't taken a day off 7 years. He hasn't went on a vacation in the last 20 years. I don't think he has been more than a couple hours away from home in the last 20 years either. Definitely not the way I want to live my life. I don't worry about retirement, the way things are going I'll have to work till I kick the bucket anyway. I go on trips when I can. I don't know of anyone who sits on their death bed telling themselves how they wished they would have spent more time at work.

26. Re...Tire?

Isn't that when they take old tires and put new treads on them???

Seriously, I'm counting on having to work until I drop. I won't get political, but with the way things are going for folks out there, working class people our age won't be able to retire. This is coming from a guy who has put 10% of his salary into a retirement account for the past 10 years....

27. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

A lotta kiddin' around on this thread. but our kids will have a radically different life than we have. they will be encouraged to live in much denser housing, drive non-emissions cars, if at all. things must change. meanwhile 2 billion chinese will discover the consumer life-style. anybody seen the original "blade runner" movie? things will be a mix of many cultures/languages. brewing your own alky fuel will be a must-do option. Rushs "RED BARCHETTA" springs to mind. hot-rodders will do what they have to, but by God, they'll do it!