Register now to get rid of these ads!

Camaro clip in a 1965 F100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordguy78, May 16, 2011.

1. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

Has any body on here done a Camaro subframe swap into one of these trucks and if so how much of a drop can I expect with the swap as compared to the Twin I beams.

2. shocker998md

shocker998md

I havent ready of any, im not saying it hasnt been done. But the hot ticket is the 03 and up crown vic front end. Theres a big thread on the ford truck enthusiest site, and some stuff floating around in the 61-66 group on here.

Theres also the jag ifs which I think a guy did that to a straight axle truck on here. When I clip my 66 it will be the crown vic front end.

3. rickairmedic

rickairmedic

Well Howdy Shocker :D. Fordguy most of us that are doing clips of anysort are starting out with 64 and older straight axle trucks . You can certainly clip anything but with all the aftermarket support for the twin I beam trucks I dont see much point in it myself.

Rick

4. slick 65

slick 65

do a 73-87 chevy c10 clip their frames are very similar to the slicks and if you z the frame these trucks almost lay rocker when on air.

5. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

It all depends on how low you want to go and what rims and tires you plan on running. I just did a camaro clip on my 62 uni. Turned out good. I wanted to run stock wheels. I ended up narrowing my camaro a-arms 1 inch per side in order to not hit the fenders when turning. If I was to do it over I would use a g-body clip which is about 3 inches narrower. Just remember camaro clips are 61.5 inches track width, about the same as a stock 61-66. The "popular" 03 and up crown vic clip is something like 67 inchs wide. I don't know how people think it looks good. Here is a pic of how mine sits after clip.

Attached Files:

pie pie likes this.
  6. ramsey1973

ramsey1973
    from Ukiah Ca

Hey guys, new here and am looking to clip my 64, I am in favor of the Camaro as well just because of ease of access and yada yada.. Which car would be best to choose if I wanted the G-body? Also Kato Kings, do you have more infor or insight on your clip install?
    Thanks guys

7. luckystiff

luckystiff

what is your desired ride height goal?

i've got jaguar xj crossmember notched 3" into my frame and it's about the same as kato's maybe a hair lower.

i took me a bit of playing to figure out how much to notch into the frame to get the desired height but that was just me being overly specific. i could do it much easier now that i know the details.

i think the camaro sub drops the front somewhere in the 6-8" range.

the g body would be a good option to but if a coupla inches of width is the only issue narrowed arms are reasonable for the camaro sub. in my area camaro subs are easier to find..ken....

8. 1954fordkustom

1954fordkustom

Ill 2nd the xj jag swap

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. luckystiff

luckystiff

here's a mock up of mine with the jag xjs. front tires are larger(235/75/15) than what will be ran(205/70/15) but they are what i had for rollers..

Attached Files:

10. desertdroog

desertdroog

11. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

X2....Not sure why a guy would want to cut the fame off when you already have IFS and lowered I beams are available.

12. luckystiff

luckystiff

because the lowered beams out there are not the greatest of quality and you can still only go so low.

dropped beams and springs won't get you as low as my truck. so if you want LOW it's better to look at other avenues. well that and you still have to upgrade brakes and yada yada. by that time you probably could come out cheaper with a swap. i will have well less than $1000 TOTAL in my jag set up. thats new bushings,ball joints, tie rods, rebuilt calipers, new rotors, basiclly everything rebuilt.